All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Those don't count (you weren't supposed to be watching. )
  3. Frank_G

KSP Loading... Breaking Ground: Hinges

Hinge watching... very nice. I like the heavy design.
  4. Xavven

I will use hinges to right rovers that have flipped over.
  5. TeslaPenguin1

[1.7.x] Stockalike Station Parts Redux (April 23rd)

I love this! Just a one request: Can you please make multi-way adapters for 3.75m? It's really annoying (and removes structural integrity) when I have to use adapters and the 2.5m modules.
  6. Snark

...but only the badS kerbals are willing to ride on it...
  7. 4x4cheesecake

[1.4.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.6.3.0 (March 18)

@TheurGist Well, you fixed the folder structure for the dll files but not for the textures and other stuff: Odd... Yeah we can do that, I'll write you a pm
  8. HansonKerman

[1.7.x] electricpants's "Eh" System Rearrangement (V. 1.1)

Cool! I'm happy that you're not neglecting Val's star, looking forward to this moon/asteroid/terraformed derelict ship (maybe in like 1.13 or something to that last)!! BTW I'm just saying, there's a bug with Val's star, it shines on planets in the Kerbol system (btw could you change The Sun's displayName to Kerbol if that's possible? I'd like that), but atmosphere planets (Kerbin, Duna etc.) think it's night, so the sky disappears even though Val's star is illuminating them.
  9. lajoswinkler

What will I put on a hinge? A hinge. And on that hinge, another hinge, etc. It will be marvelous.
  10. Geonovast

engine not turning off on command

This is literally impossible to diagnose without screenshots or a craft file.
  11. I don't disagree that the killer app for humans in space is tourism. Good. I want as many super rich people to fly to space for fun as possible. When I was in college, you know who had a mobile phone (a phone in their car in this case, the unit was about the 2/3 volume of the box our MacBookPro 15" came in)? The ultra rich. A few hundred people in the country, perhaps. By the time I was done, my dad (still an affluent business executive, but not "very rich") had one, which was about the time my father in law (a neurosurgeon, again, quite well off, not "very rich") got a brick sized cell phone for call. Super rich, then rich, then upper middle class. My kids have better phones now---in their pockets. That's how this works, it's expensive, then eventually it's less expensive. International air travel is still too expensive for some people, but it's at an all time low in price (in constant dollars) now. Rich people going to space is a good thing, should that happen. Regardless, cheaper access to space allows for the possibility of robotic attempts to start exploiting resources. They've said why they want to go. Not vanity, or not only vanity, but because they think it's cool, and they think that's what needs to happen for humanity in the very long run. Why do you play KSP? If you had billions, would you play KSP with real rockets? I would. No one rich would rather live in a tube than on Earth, sorry, this argument is an abject failure once you go here. Presumably the people living in such places would be working in space (if there was ever a need for that, which I'm dubious of). Maybe they'll be the hotel staff for the orbital tourists. He's talking about endless growth of humans, which is not a thing on Earth. That said, more humans is not a bad thing if we can build the real estate for them. I don't have a beef with Bezos, his workers can seek other employment if they don't like it. You'll basically see neither, then. A handful of people in LEO (ISS), or a handful once every year or two around the Moon for a couple weeks. If the driver of space exploration (with humans) is the government, you'll grow old and see nothing better. I was in High School when Shuttle first flew. I had two kids in school when it finished 30 years later, with little different than when it started. Artemis is very likely the last space program that looks anything like Apollo or Shuttle. I'm not confident about much that might happen with human spaceflight, but I'm confident that literally anything that is interesting that happens in my lifetime will be from commercial space at this point.
  12. Kerbart

I for one cannot wait to see the “return to Kerbin” ferris wheel.
  13. Bill Phil

Jet VS Rocket nozzle in space

If I recall the aerospikes developed for Venturestar were worse than the Shuttle SSMEs in pretty much every major performance aspect. So apparently there’s a way to make conventional nozzles really good at most altitudes. Something to do with the geometry.
  14. I don't know Module Manager that well, but presumably it has "not has" rule - so maybe you can say "not has module "kOSProcessor" in the conditional check - thus it only ever adds kOSProcessor if there's not already one there. That might fix the 3 copies problem.
  15. So basically the idea will be this? Low solar collectors will transmit to a local receiver on a lower but more efficient wavelength. I am assuming that there is a good ratio I want to target 10 to 1 or 20 to 1? Those receivers then transmit the combined power yield on large-dish ultraviolet transmitters to where ever needed. My goal is to have 1-5 Gigawatts available with the range of Neidon for 99% of its orbit through beamed power (might need to use an X-Ray Transmitter and Receiver at Dres). Assuming that my solar stations can generate 10 Gigawatts that mean 100 gigawatts per receiver station. I forget the conversion ratio of microwave transmitters so I go with a conservative 65%. Then assuming I get 50% due to the spot sizes of microwaves, then 35% to transmit the power into 10nm ultraviolet wavelength. So the wall to beam should be around 11 Gigawatts. With Neidon having a semi-major axis 409,355,191,706m and using a 30 meter dish on a 10nm wavelength using the formula on the kspie wiki: 1.44*409355191706*0.00000001/30 This gives a spot size of around 200 meters. Which means the craft will have to capture 9% to 46% of the wavelength in order to meet satisfaction. Is there anything wrong with this?
  16. Well usually by the time you got access to the Alcubierre drive, you also got access to very powerful and efficient engines which will have no trouble of getting you in orbit. But if you insists doing it the hard way. Basically what is described here it to make use of the gravity of a star to slow yourself down and then speed up into the desired vector. First figure your existing vector (you can find out by dropping out of warp when leaving Kerbin SOI) , than travel to the opposite side of the star. slow down by freefall until you have zero speed, then move to the side of the star wher you freefall will get you to speed up into the desired vector, after that then move to your target planet. Alternatively you drop out of warp very near the planet which will also decelerate you, this requires you to slow down to sub light speed
  17. KerbolExplorer

Are Kerbals satisfied with sub zero temperatures?

Kerbals dont care if its cold because they are already cool *badum dss*
  18. Today
  19. cantab

What did you do in KSP today?

With a bit of finagling with settings, and putting everything to potato quality, KSP is running surprisingly well on the family laptop with its 4GB of RAM and Skylake Core i3, running on a Linux live USB. And, well, I got distracted :-D The new lander/rover can is brilliant, one of the best parts Squad have made. Here it's in what will be a bus, once I stop clowning around and finish building it.
  20. 5thHorseman

Why not? They wouldn't provide lift with wings, but you could still spin them up and decouple things from the ends. Probably be a bit hard to reach the ~900m/s needed to re-enter at Kerbin, but that's an engineering problem, not a logistical one.
  21. Well done, lgg Indeed, your shuttle designs are improving overtime, same applies to your docking skills. Just look back at the first space station, build during (Kerbin) STS - 5-8. You ran out of mono prop a few times and docking a huge station module with a small tug was almost impossible but this time, everything went almost perfect Also, the beluga parts are really cool. I said it earlier already but I'm still laughing about the fact, that you added some new parts to a mod to build a beluga shuttle... definitly a proper approach to the challenge by our "modfather" Except for a few decoupled engines Anyway, congratulations to your new badge and I'm looking forward to the Duna missions
  22. Triop

Triop's Adventures

Meanwhile, at R&D....
  23. kerbiloid

Starship Design... a broad look

(The torus above is about much farther techlevel, so this is about a closer low-tech) A fractal structure. No "one big hull" design, many smaller pressurized bubbles of modules inside the external envelope. Less important/more redundant modules surrounding the inhabited ones - as rad shields and additional hit protection. Imagine a bigger Mir with four wider cylindric modules at every end, packed into a big external cylinder. With auxilliary structures (trusses, etc) in between. No spheres or big cones: they are technologically weird. A cylinder with L~D is almost as fine as a sphere, and much better in any sense. A longer cylinder = several L~D cylinders attached one by one. You anyway need inner walls. An artificial gravity. Otheriwse they become boneless worms, as the starflight lasts for years or decades. A faster ship? A hypernation chamber? Doesn't matter at all, they anyway will spend years at the destination star. No rotating ship, but a set of centrifuges. Not a torus (technologically weird), not a cylinder (a lot of unused space inside). Also both can be hardly kept being balanced. At least because a crowd of people suddenly running along a torus is bad. A bunch of parallel cylinders rotating around an axis inside a cylindric protective hull. Weights between them, moving radially to dynamically balance the system. An even number of such counter-rotating centrifuges (1 or 2 pairs). A layer of auxilliary thingies around the external hull of the block of centrifuges. As an additional protection. As the rotation radius is limited by the human biology, the habitat block is huge, several hundred meters wide and long. So, for several hundred humans inside, maybe even a thousand. Though, unlikely one sends a sixpack of humans to another star. *** Some front active shield. Probably not just a solid plate, but a cloud of dust, to restore its shape after hits. Probably not a big cloud, but enough thick to prevent radiation damages after the hit flashes. *** The most important part: the purpose of a star ship. No lone riders, no brave pathfinders. A barge with passengers, not a star cruiser. And not from the beginning of the star exploration. They don't fly to find moons and planets. They are a sci&aux crew delivered to the existing laboratory. *** You can't fly to every star you see. First of all you will anyway explore it with orbital telescopes at 550 AU in the opposite point from the Sun fro decades. So, long before you fly there, you already know its planets, moons, asteroids, and continents much better than you wish to know the Solar System nowaday. You select a star with something specifically interesting. You anyway choose the nearest star. Almost any basic research needs no human on board. You send not a probe, not a ship, but a whole uncrewed fleet. A bunch of orbital telescopes which automatically explore the celestial bodies from closer distance. A bunch of telescopes into the counter-Sun gravitational focal point, to be observing the Solar system from that star. A bunch of telescopes into several such points to look at other close stars and get a 4 l.y. wide stereopicture. Clouds of simple but numerous stationary ground probes with seismo-, meteo-, and other sensors. Clouds of tungsten impactors to hit the bodies and map their internal structure, using the former ones as sensors. Clouds of orbiters, making multispectral photos of the bodies. Several orbital data centers with radio relay concentrators, connecting the fleet to the Earth, sending the data back to you. Equipped with complicated expert systems, redistributing the probes to the new targets. (When it sees some significant data anomaly, it considers the place as a point of interest, and adds it to the research list). Probably several microwave emitters to power the numerous probes. *** A decade later you send the second wave, to repair the losses. And uncrewed orbital labs, to wait for the crew near the star. Then you know the system better than currently the Earth. You clearly see what exactly do you want to explore by hands. You send the lab crew. They arrive and start labbing. They will probably spent there decades, and probably many of them never return. The academic career is the salary. And you anyway send there a return ship. Though a true scientist would anyway stay there as long as possible. The physicists and astronomers do the long-base experiments. They are needed because they can do their own conclusions and perform the experiments from the other side. Their main aim - to invent/discover hyperdrive and/or hyperlink, using such distance as an experiment base. Chemists/biologists/geologists do what they do. Others are caretaking and cheerleading. When the active exploration is over, the crew returns, while you are keeping sending new bots on demand. Telescopes stay in their places, so you keep endlessly expanding you interstellar telescope network.
  1. Load more activity