All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. New history. Huh. Quiet part out loud. All peoples had peaceful times at times. All peoples have been slavers and been enslaved at times. The Huron and other peoples in the Iroquois Confederacy also had their darker moments. If you only want to look back and see the good times, that is your prerogative. But I just can't fit the many highly corroborated facts into the tiny box you are handing to me.
  3. I suggest reading The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity by David Graeber and David Wengrow and for a good overview of societies like the Wendat (Huron) Indians who did not have private property in the sense we know today but still functioned just fine. Even humans 50,000 years ago were able to work together to build large structures without having to barter each other into doing it, or suppress people into slaves. Looking at modern anthropological evidence is much better than parroting philosophical arguments made centuries ago. I can’t and won’t force you though, but if you prefer to adhere to dogmas instead of looking at facts, it’s your choice. Well in the event that doesn’t prove up to the task of space colonization, I sure as heck hope the next generation is more flexible and imaginative. I think they will definitely have the money to build a small, dependent colony (population in the hundreds). But it will never be self sustaining unless something changes with humanity itself. I would be very interested to know how compact those constructions robots could be made. Kinda like how the battle droids unfold in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. There’s also the possibility of avoiding a folding mechanism and sending the robots in pieces and assembling them on the surface.
  4. Here's a very quick (and horridly handling) aircraft I slapped together. As you can see four Goliaths are enough to push that plane body to over 10km (even with 80+ kerbals on board) but it could do with more wing incidence as it needed to hold nose up to get enough lift and the wings are frankly about half the size I'd want for that size of craft.
  5. Technically, we were told we'd get information some time this week. It is just disheartening that they always mean "late Friday right before we close shop for the weekend so we don't have to answer any questions about the lack of information we give".
  6. I would like to build a rock crawler. For an idea of the slopes I think a rover should be able to drive, just head straight north from KSC for an hour or two. You'll figure out soon enough that the normal wheels can't handle even mild off-roading, no matter how good you get with switch-backing and doing dumb tricks to gain speed. It's a real shame. I'm not talking about 45 degree grades either, although it would be nice to have a very low gear that could actually drive up one of those, but to even maintain speed going up a 10~12 degree grade would be a godsend. More weight which means less speed which means torque is less effective overall. Lack of refueling options in the field is also a problem, especially on Kerbin (good luck finding flat ground to align your docking ports deep in the northern mountains).
  7. Today
  8. What should i delete in the config? Mine stops loading when it starts up and it gets stuck on the ventral fin
  9. There's nothing beyond existing economies I'm interested in being part of, least until post-scarcity—automation makes everything in space at ~0 cost in human labor, so "cost" has no meaning. In a scarcity economy, the system that automates the value of scarce resources most effectively (markets) is fine by me. That's what Starlink is supposed to be for, that and little contracts (launches, HLS, etc) to offset raising the TRLs they need. The above regarding scarcity is ALSO relevant to Mars colonization. 10 years ago, I'm sure the idea was send people to Mars, where people then do work on Mars to make the new city (New Donner?). I'd say now, they might want to send some people to Mars (because people on Mars is cool), but instead of 100k people a year for 10 years, I'd think sending 66k robots a year makes more sense. (1/3 charging any given time, the other 2/3 working, so working 25 hours a day (erm, Sol)). Solar panels? Check, they have a company making those. batteries for night? Yep. Tunnels? Yep. Regolith moving vehicles? Check. Robots? Check. Send everything automated, and a few people around to run the robots.
  10. The cost DOWN the gravity well is actually pretty low. I think it's only possibly economical for certain manufacturing, not everything, and ALL the inputs for whatever that stuff is need to come from space. for those. Finished product deorbited to parachute down (winged return vehicles?).
  11. It is true that I hadn't considered Shangri-La, Brigadoon, Wakanda, or the Undying Lands. But even you have to admit that Numenor, Narnia, and Neverneverland were problematic and had self-induced rough times
  12. https://x.com/raz_liu/status/1782939028494364904?s=46&t=Jd73T2beq0JLNtwTy1uR5A Ye Guangfu previously flew on Shenzhou 13, Li Cong and Li Guangsu were selected as taikonauts in 2020 and will be making their first flight. https://spacenews.com/china-on-track-for-crewed-moon-landing-by-2030-space-official-says/ Design phase of Long March 10, Mengzhou, and Lanyue are complete, and production of prototypes has begun. They’re targeting 2029 for their landing.
  13. Since you have both Near Future Construction and Near Future Launch Vehicles but not CryoTanks, the LFOX (Liquid Fuel + Oxidizer) tank type should be being supplied by GameData/NearFutureConstruction/Patches/NFConstructionFuelTankTypes.cfg but I don't see it in your log.
  14. Well the societies where people work together for the betterment of all rather than themselves alone have been dead for four centuries so it would make sense you’ve never seen them. If there’s a certain way we’re “built” psychologically it’s because there was a builder, and it occurred based on how we’re educated in youth. Advances in human history have been built on people thinking beyond what they were taught or what they had seen. No one told Columbus to go sail west, and no one told any settler to move somewhere else. The way they were raised told them to stay put as their fathers and forefathers had, but they ignored what they knew and made a decision of their own. If we can’t grow beyond the behaviors and systems that were set up and indoctrinated a few centuries ago I don’t think we’re going to last long at all, whether on Earth or on Mars. I never said all companies exist to make money. But money would be required to build a Mars colony, thus I assumed SpaceX is the type of company that needs to make it. And there are things they already have to pay for. Support infrastructure, paying their workers, maintaining and refurbishing rockets. Contracts in LEO and on the Moon. What will be left over for Mars? The colony, that is. I don’t know why you’d see what I write as a complaint. He can try, but if he fails, we shouldn’t give up. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not saying he shouldn’t, I’m saying we can’t limit ourselves to simply hoping a billionaire will do it all for us. When I say “we” I mean humanity. Not specifically you or I. I’m skeptical industry will ever be moved to space. It makes no economic sense either, because it’s easier to build factories on Earth. The cost of shipping something across the land or sea is much lower than shipping stuff to and from space. If governments signed off on regulations banning industry on Earth, then they’d do it. But corporations don’t really do massive “save the Earth/environment” type stuff unless they’re forced to. Otherwise they largely prefer the little things that look good for PR but don’t incur too much cost. The issue with automation is that it would leave people with nowhere to go. Eventually robots would be building robots, writing code, and repairing robots, and those robots would replace all jobs except government and management. There would be no need for humans. How are people supposed to pay for Starlink if they have no job? And then companies wouldn’t be making money and it would all collapse. There’s talk of UBI and what not, but at that point people would more or less be receiving necessities for free, obviating the money. Corporations would have the power to do things simply based on whether they have the resources to produce enough robots to do it, gained by cooperation with another corporation, which also just needs to produce enough robots to harvest the resources. If people are getting necessities for free and don’t have any way to work, because robots are doing everything, corporations wouldn’t really be making money off people by selling goods and services, they’d just be providing it with no return. A Mars colony suddenly becomes feasible not “economically” but simply on whether people want to do it or not. At which point it seems you’ve brought us to my point: How can we think beyond our existing economics in support of space colonization? It goes back to my original post when this thread was revived: thinking about profitability and affordability (both in terms of money) as a means of making space colonization feasible is silly.
  15. Pizza oven made pepperoni sentient mutations with mushroom brains and peanuts, caramelized onions and garlic salmon, and Pacific geoduck ——— my addition is a type of clam hence 2 words as its a name. @Kimera Industries i figured it was a glitch given its end of term and busy, its also why i made no changes on that post. We be human, we mitsakes maek. Good it all is. 171104242024
  16. Serious question, what are the easy-to-profit-from ways? Things with lower margins but near guaranteed markets. Long game. Food, shelter, (alcohol, tobacco, and firearms?)
  17. Granted. You don't know who played, though. I wish for this wish not to be granted.
  18. Pizza oven made pepperoni sentient mutations with mushroom brains and peanuts, caramelized onions and garlic salmon, and @AlamoVampire I think he forgot to go to the most recent page when he scrolled to the bottom to see where the current sentence was at.
  19. When you build and test stages, especially first stage, you need some part that have mass and volume and do not have other properties (i.e. fuel, elrctric charge etc) right now it is very difficult job to construct "mass simulator" from fuel tanks or engine or smth else. It would be cool to have different size (mass) dummy steel discs for this purpose. Thnx.
  20. Show me where I said that finding bugs is the same as fixing bugs. I said that I think that bugs are not a priority to whoever delegates tasks to the QA team. Show me where I made any reference to their workflow. Look @The Aziz, its cool you don't agree with me on most things; echo chambers suck, but could you at least try to understand where I am coming from? Every time I reply to you, it seems that I am having to clarify my point to you because you want to prove me wrong. I'm not here to be "right," I'm here to have a discussion with other individuals who are passionate about KSP and spaceflight in general. The impression I get from you is that you take pleasure in reading how I got something incorrect. Remember buddy, you never learn if you never make a mistake.
  21. I think the missing link is the unexpected commercial success and the Shuttle woes. Basically, at roughly the time you'd have expected a resurgence of government space spending, instead the mamy-named Russian space industry first began to scoop up commercial space launches, and then it got the biggest one of all - the Soyuz seat-sharing agreement with NASA. I think at this point a dubious decision was made to wean it off into a commercial venture, despite little evidence that it would be sustainable, which was promptly exemplified in the pre-Rogozin disaster spree. Premature attempts to monetize something are not an uncommon problem, and politically it's rather difficult to fish not for a one-time bailout, but a near-permanent garden hose of money.
  22. Yeah it's not really readable However I have this little browser plugin that allows me to reverse search any picture I click on - and through it I can in fact open the large picture. It's those
  23. Two more days till we get some information… fingers crossed
  24. @QuiescentRabbitt We initially kept your report thread separate from this bug report due to wanting to catalogue how this bug may have changed post-0.2.0.0, however we've seen no significant change in it, as such we've merged it into this report thread
  25. My question would be if this is lack of resources rather than lack of interest in space. Part of the reasons the Soviets were underfunded is because the CPSU had economic issues and the task of building up the nuclear arsenal on their hands. There probably wasn’t money to afford fully funding everything even if they wanted to. Is it the same in Russia? Apart from the obvious “if we spent a fraction of what we do on military on space we’d be on Mars by now” that can apply to all of the big three (US/RU/CHN).
  1. Load more activity