All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Does a document like this exist for L1 or L3? I know a few names were listed in Kamanin’s diaries. I always go with Rodina for the flyby and Znamya for the orbiter-lander combo in my alt histories.
  3. The thing that made me even suggest that in the first place is Neuralink. Musk’s vision is to eventually modify humans to help them compete with AI. A human with such modifications could easily do all the tasks mentioned. Yeah, I take that back that slavery is a new invention. I would dispute that there were “tribes” followed by “states,” though. Take a look at Poverty Point and Sannai Maruyama, which predate agriculture but were places of large gatherings where something was probably exchanged (whether it be stories or beads we don’t know). Or the North American Calusa, which did not practice agriculture but coalesced with a king and court. There are the Nambikwara, who shifted between having a tyrannical ruler in the dry season who led them to nomadically forage and back to horticulture and village life in the rainy season. These guys were once seen as an example of Paleolithic life. There was no original state of human society. Now, aside from that, I don’t know what would work in an environment like Mars. We might have varied options on Earth, but in Mars there basically has to be one set form of command. Imagine trying to switch styles of governance on the ISS. I agree about the sci-fi take. Maybe there’s an aspiring author lurking here. Ah, but what of Göbekli Tepe, or the mammoth houses at Yudinovo? Mass gatherings occurred, as did extravagant burials of individuals like at Dolní Věstonice. These point to some form of social organization beyond families. This was actually not the case. People owned their own bow and arrows, and collections of beads, and certainly garments, but food was shared to those who needed it. There’s always self harm and hunger strikes. That’s why I suggest the AI managers. If a computer calculates stuff based on factors, what’s important and needs to be done is basically fact. It isn’t like humans making arbitrary decisions on what should be done.
  4. That is very interesting. I will fwd this to CobaltWolf. These drag cubes are just the gift that keeps on giving, huh?
  5. Wow! Dippedidip launch it is And very impressive how it can generate that much lift with less than 40 m/s! Is it because of the 4 wings?
  6. Mainly from fuselage and engine. Any part with CoM ahead of the wing get occluded. Tried stock airliner wing and get similar results.
  7. Korolev's brainstorming for the name "Vostok" Everything up to and including Volna, Vulkan, Veter (wind), Vykhod (escape), Voskhozdeniye, Vzlyot (ascent) and Vozrozhdeniye (renaissance). Love how Vostok was still his first idea, followed immediately by Voskhod
  8. That is......... weird. I wonder if the aero debug data might reveal anything interesting. EDIT: Is the drag coming from the fuselage, or from whatever mounted it to the underside of the airliner wing?
  9. The first Salyut station had a fairing stenciled "Zarya". TASS didn't care, so that's how the station is known now.
  10. I’m using the updated model and the part database has been reset. The aero force is perfectly normal if I launch it independently.
  11. Today
  12. Did CobaltWolf push the changes yet? If not, you might still be using the old, scuffed drag cubes rather than the new ones. If you do have the updated parts, try deleting your PartDatabase.cfg file if it exists. This can be found in KSP's root folder. Doing so will make KSP recalculate the drag cubes of all the parts.
  13. I don't know why, but Windows is derping when I try to open that location? But I did get the player logs, from Appdata/LocalLow/Intercept Games/KSP2 Kerbal Space Program 2 Player Logs.7z Not sure if that helps, sorry EDIT: Reinstalled the game again, now saving crafts works, but Contracts don't get completed once I reach past 10km altitude... Attached ModSaveData: Default.7z
  14. In the release, the BepInEx folder is called "BepinEx" instead. This breaks all mods on non-Windows machines, and some specifically configured Windows ones too.
  15. Thanks a lot!Mind me to ask a question about aero force here? I suspend the x15 under the airliner wing to launch it. But the drag of fuselage and engine does not seem to be occluded (even if I decouple it from the mothership). My thought was that the airliner wing does not use drag model and anything behind the wing will not be occluded. But then I set “DragModelType” of the airliner wing to default, and the fuselage still generate enormous amount of drag. Do you have any idea on how this was calculated? Copy the entire text to a txt file and change the suffix to .cfg, then put the cfg file in GameData folder.
  16. Negatively granted. I wish the hills had eyes.
  17. Interesting Thread, interesing points and im Surprised thats no Locked yet, so Kudos to the Forum Managers. As for my Point of view, i wouldnt bother if the Game will end up in a completely different Thing as we were Told. But at least, it should end up in a way, you could open it up anytime, play a game, start a new game and Build some more or less usefull stuff. KSP1 does that. its stll, after so many years, fun. KSP1 has Bugs as well but you have to stretch it to the Hard Limit to encounter game Beraking ones, The smaller Bugs are still in KSP1 but they are not there in such an abundance that you have to reload several Times to get a Craft Properly Loaded (as i recall the gameplay video that was posted here some Time agon in this feed) I completely understand the more and less saltyness and i fully understand that it has to go somewhere. If you are not satisfied with the Product and noone would vent about that the developer would sit in their Burning offices and would say 'Its Fine' to visualize a common meme. Everyone could have dodged that Bullet by reading the TOS. I for my Part would have immediately Purcased the Game if the Price would have matched the EA tag. lets say 20 Bucks. Now im waiting if the game ever gets to a state that a NON-Nasa Computer can run my 500+ Part Ships without having to reload any so often until they are as i assembled them. If someone sells a EA for 50 or 60, then Players expect some state of game that wasnt even by the slightest glimpse matched. If so, i formyself as a Publisher would just Hire People dedicated to Manage the Problem i have myself put into it. So the Lack of communitation just sharpens this issue. If im Selling an Bug Riddled EA Title for a 'Full Price' and dont work my ass of in constant after Sales communication (just properly keep the stream of information rolling) then it gets worse because some Buyers start to think thats gonna lead nowhere and the project is near to get abandoned or set to 1.0 Quick aaand its done. I understand the Uproar, and i put the Blame on the Publisher. Some buyers feel like 'we got your money, so F off now' And i wont let any excuse like 'its done at reddit or discord or wherever' get away. If this Forum exists, Information has to flow here also. I havent purchased yet and would, even if the game will cost a hundred bucks but in no way, yet.
  18. Afair, Columbus previously had spent some time in Iceland, and was informed about existence of a landmass to the West, and even had seen some maps. The circumnavigation distances are much shorter close to the pole, so it sounds probable. As the Earth was a sphere in his time, and its radius was already well-known from navigation, this would give him a rough estimation, how far can it be at the Europe latitude. Obviously, we don't know the pre-Columbian Columbuses lost in sea on going to the West. Maybe, he was the 1000th of them. Maybe, exactly due to the Icelandic tales he prepared better. They did! Sounded as "Go freaking 'way, heretic sectants, from our lovely country of sin!" And it was even more simple with then-future Australians. (10 000 m/s) / 2 = 50 MJ / kg. You have to burn ~1 kg of fuel just to deliver 1 kg to LEO. Together with need in oxygen and in expendable parts, it easily grows ten times, if not hundred. How much fuel do you spend to deliver a tonne of cargo by car? But what's even much worse, is the total absence of heat sink in vacuum. And the larger is the space station, the lower is the surface-to-volume ratio, making things even fatal for space industry. Btw, there is almost vacuum on Mars, too. And the few people in LMO, in the rotating habitat with 1 g. The metal strength stays same as now. So, the wireframe droids can carry a bag for you, but not something heavy. When you have nothing but some food and hand-made expendable tools, the private property is what you had eaten before neighbors did. On the other hand, do you see that Hulk in feathers, sitting at the camp fire? Go, take his axe and a piece of meat from his plate, because there is no private property in your tribe, so he will understand and give a friendly smile. Also you can always have a sleep in any wigwam around, because all your tribe is a big family. 50 kya the humans were nomadic family groups, rarely meeting each other, but having a lot of human bones in their kitchen trashcanpits. Also, if make somebody a slave, he would eat the gathered berries instead of you, so it's much better to eat him himself with the berries garnish... ...but if the year is good, and you have a lot of other meat, you can damage his feet and make cleaning your kitchen trashpit from the remains of previous prisoners, clean animal skins, and do other unpleasant jobs, till the winter, when you can eat him to save the food supplies. Also, do you see that jerk at the trash heap? He didn't pass the G.O.A.T. initiation test (what a loser!), and now is treated as something between the woman and the dog. All tribe makes him doing something for them, so don't hesitate to command him, too. He's a shame of your tribe, and should be happy for living. A less advanced and tolerant tribe would kick him out from the tribe to save food, so a bear would eat him long ago. Slavery? What's that? You don't have it. Selling people for money? What a nonsense! All people are free! You are just using the coward who was afraid of dying in battle, and the puny jerk from your tribe in the manner they deserve, and they are free to stop it at any moment with any rope on any branch. It's only their choice to keep living this way. Why not? Easily. Do you see, comrades, the bourgeous renegade who is privatizing the collective property by speculation, and trying to economically enslave you again? The heartless moneylender, whom you all owe the money? Doesn't he deserve the highest measure of social defense? Don't answer, he does. If they born on Mars, they have no choice. This would increase conflicts for being a local boss; decrease the ability of the boss to make the lazies working, and the undisciplined ones follow the safety rules; increase conflicts between the domes; and make it harder to leave the dome where you don't want to communicate. Because two domes are manufacturing same things, and somebody should select, which ones to buy/take for other domes. See the picture above. Several human units with enhanced privileges are redistributing the material resources from the human unit who had disproportionally overconcentrated them, to optimise the social logistics, that's what AI can see there. They call "gathering" the practice when the returned hunters report that the raspberry place looks full of berries, and next morning the women and kids take baskets and march to the place to gather all berries and bring them to the camp, while the hunters are hanging around, kinda they are hunting and guarding rather than just don't want to bother with gathering. In the evening they share the gathered. This would require a pretty strict IQ test on all colonists (I'm fine with this, might as well start the gene pool in the best possible way) to require everyone to be cross trained in multiple modern technological specialties. No, it would require robots and Siri. Everyone can say: "Siri! Repair the reactor!" I would be not so sure. When robots are doing everything complicated, the people have to have at least something to do themselves. Finally, we come to
  19. May I ask which aspects you find more enjoyable in the sequel? No judgement here I promise, I'm staying out of the KSP2 discussions, just genuine curiosity/interest.
  20. ^^^ All the examples of pre-state human societies are tribal groups, and don't map to what we're talking about at all, IMHO. Things that work for an extended family group (a tribe), do NOT work for even just 100,000 people, much less a million. Same with @SunlitZelkova's claim of slavery being exclusively modern. You can't make an argument that a virtually universal practice did not commonly occur in societies that have no history to interrogate. It's fair to say we don't know, but since we DO know even biologically that our close relatives (chimps) kill singleton males from other troops, but will take their females as mates—it seems likely something like slavery happened. It happened (happens?) in some isolated tribal cultures in very recent history as well (the SW Pacific, I think). A huge tangent, anyway. It would be really, really interesting to see a fully fleshed out sci fi take on this thread. Like a better version of Red/Green/Blue Mars.
  21. Recognizing it's just a story and without giving too much away, the topic of slavery does figure into the movie "Quest For Fire" (set about 60,000 years ago). It ends up working out well for them.
  22. Of course, when homo sapiens emerged from the other (now gone) hominids is not 100% clear.
  23. This would require a pretty strict IQ test on all colonists (I'm fine with this, might as well start the gene pool in the best possible way) to require everyone to be cross trained in multiple modern technological specialties. You have to be able to write code, do mechanical engineering, genetic engineering, and do a kidney transplant, depending on the day? Seems... nontrivial. Managers... we'd all like to see them replaced with pretty much anything. Maybe a wastepaper basket? (OK, there are in fact good managers, but the manager to worker ratio should be grossly lower than it is here) The idea of a truly self-sufficient colony is a long, long pole. It requires: all the engineering specialties medical sciences (bio, physics, chem—all with subspecialties) farming or construction? These both seem like sci/engineering adjacent as much will be done by tech, not humans with shovels. Lower skilled work? This is likely mostly robots. No need for a grocery checker, for example, or shelf stocker. Systems to generate more of the above (education/training) in perpetuity (which requires enough kids that their personal interests align such that covering the needed jobs happens organically). It will be even harder to tease this out on Mars, as I assume that decently autonomous robots are in the mix from day 1—as well as competent AI systems. Doesn't need to be "AGI" or Culture Minds, just narrowly useful AI tools that are well integrated enough to be a labor multiplier for both physical and cognitive work. Not really sure what people will DO on Mars, honestly. Clearly farming is a thing, but it's not gonna be picking season in southern CA style farming that just needs "pickers," it will be more technical I imagine. At the very least not as labor intensive. Construction? Yeah, I guess, but are they building new pressure vessels, or using delivered ones? Or are they 3d printed? Food prep/service? Medical. Bottom line is that people work partially out of a desire to do something, and partially because they have to to live above a bottom of the barrel level. The point is why would any new, bespoke society allow this at all? Criminality, for example. Violence, stealing? Out the airlock (body to then be picked up and composted, obviously, least their carbon has value).
  24. I have to say I really like your mindset. And I love reading your posts! I love the game and what it eventually will be in the future, but sometimes I really loose hope in it. But when I read your comments I get hyped again and start to see the positive side again. Many will say, seeing things with your eyes is naive or childish or far from reality. But I think it is very mature. In the world we live in, with so many negative news, you have to stay positive for some things. In the end it's just a game! Stay positive!
  25. Can someone tell me how to let the IR taregting camera lock(with the "IR" on the screen instead of the "NO IR")a further object ? Now I can only increase its zoom multiplier and the locking distance at which the display "NO IR" is displayed, but I hope that it will be able to guide SALH missiles at a distance of at least 20km.
  26. Mostly people hunted deer and rabbits, not mammoth. Anyway, studies of hunter-gatherer cultures have tended to show that hunting -- which brings in a large amount of quick-to-spoil meat and tends to be kind of random -- usually results in the meat being shared. It kind of works like a meat food bank, except that instead of storing the meat in a freezer, they store the meat in the memories of the other hunters, who then later share their own good fortune. Hunting camps still work like this today. It's quite common when you go hunting that if someone in your party gets an animal, everyone stops hunting and helps haul the meat back to camp. And then everyone splits the meat equally. But gathering -- which tends to simply be a matter of putting in the work to get a fixed amount of results -- tends to not be shared, and instead the one who gathers the most gets the most. On Mars, undoubtedly everyone would work together communally, at first, and all eat from the same food supply.
  1. Load more activity