All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Triop

What did you do in KSP today?

I just can't stop building these things....
  3. I_Killed_Jeb

KSP Loading... Breaking Ground: Robotics

Honestly KSP is an astounding piece of software. That you can cobble together a flappy wing thing and the game just "understands" how it's supposed to behave... Amazing.
  4. Odd. In my case, in the device manager - even with hidden devices shown - the only display adapter that exists is my 1050Ti; no virtual adapters from telepresence software or anything like what was seen in that issue thread. (Also, the location that the system had attempted to read was different from all of those cases, but IDK if that can vary with system configuration or what) Yeah, that looks to be identical to my issue. So, is there/would it be possible for there to be some kind of fallback for DX9 that doesn't include the fancy rendering features that don't work on it, or do all the special texture setups and things in TU mods preclude this sort of feature? Looks to my (mostly) lay man's eye like DX11 and OpenGL can't necessarily be relied upon for every user. :\
  5. Hmm... after installing Hyperedit so I could do some proper testing, looks like it's indeed working fine. Now I just need a rocket to take it to Eve without using Hyperedit...
  6. Spacescifi

Aliens ask you a question

"Some knowledge is more valuable than others. Would'nt you agree?" The alien speaking to you replies. She continues with "Cake? If it passes inspection first, sure!" As for her offer, you declined it so that is over. But it least she gets cake out of the deal! Which shows that for all our flaws, we can be generous to complete strangers.
  7. Huh. Ok then, is there a setting somewhere to turn them back on, or is this a "code's not there anymore, you're SOL" type deal?
  8. I was trying to install this, and found that the button wasn't being shown. The issue is that you are adding the button to the ToolbarController without first registering it. The newer toolbar controller requires that the button be registered before it is used. I've added one file and modified one other to support this. Tested and working in a 1.4.5 install, PR submitted
  9. Bill Phil

KSP Loading... Breaking Ground Robotics

Catapulting to orbit may not work on Kerbin but certainly on Gilly and maybe Minmus?
  10. Interesting -- that points towards the problem likely being either a memory issue (running out of ram, or writing to a bad block), a storage issue (log file size, error on drive during write operation), or thermal issues and overheating. Normally thermal issues will manifest faster than 5 hours of continuous use, but still a possibility. (of course, computers are insanely complex, and it could be something else entirely... but those are the points I would start on if I had those problems on my personal machine) Thanks for the confirmation. I'll take a look at my settings and see if I can spot what needs to be changed; IIRC it was something regarding fullscreen/bordered/windowed modes, though I don't remember it causing that specific access violation (more it was an error regarding unsupported resolution or something). Apparently this is also part of a 'known issue' with Unity regarding some non-standard graphics adapter settings / multiple adapters. Not sure if that is exactly what is happening in this case, but seems like it is similar in its effect... https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2018-2-7f1-windows-standalone-crash-on-first-run-unityplayer-dll-caused-an-access-violation.556585/ Apparently it is also a reported bug on the SQUAD tracker, though I've not much hope of them fixing it for Windows, as OpenGL is only officially supported on Mac and Linux -- https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/20055 And one really strange solution that I found was modifying the startup command to use double-dashes (from: , such as: C:\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" --force-glcore
  11. BillKerman123

[1.7.0] Ж-20 "Moroz" Spaceplane

Amazing mod! I've got some really good ideas on how to use it. Question though: could you make the wings slightly shorter so they don't stick out the back of the craft as much?
  12. MechBFP

KSP Loading... Breaking Ground: Robotics

By the way, anything you can or are willing to say @Yargnit? I know you have an NDA.
  13. goldenpsp

CKAN help needed

As @HebaruSan screen shotted, the links are there on the release page. It sounds like you did not scroll down far enough. That being said, my 13yo son has learned to navigate github (he is a KSP fan). He has not been to university yet, although he is pretty smart (but I may be biased).
  14. An Eve lander with insanely compacted parts that can be covered by a single 3.75m heat shield and then expanded once through the worst of it.
  15. PakledHostage

This Day in Spaceflight History

The Apollo 10 LM did its landing "dress rehearsal" low pass 50 years ago today. "Snoopy" undocked from "Charlie Brown" in about 45 minutes, a half century ago, as of this writing. The LM's rapid roll anomaly happened about 4.5 hours later at about 23:33 UTC. https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_10i_Timeline.htm
  16. The newest version give a warning when starting KSP. KSP Version: 1.7.0.2483 Installed Modules: Chatterer 0.9.96 A MakingHistory-DLC 1.7.0
  17. @FreeThinkerThanks! I'm a long way off from antimatter. I'm at about the 1500 lvl of the science tree, so that's all I got right now.
  18. sh1pman

Chernobyl (HBO)

Q: What is very large, makes a lot of smoke and noise, takes down 20 liters of gas per hour, and cuts an apple into three pieces? A: The Soviet machine built to cut apples into four pieces.
  19. Upvoted. IIRC it's a pretty simple config file fix.This problem also exists with the triangular armor parts in BDA.
  20. First, you are very welcome - it's my pleasure, and I'm glad you find it useful. Second, I promise to keep doing my best to update HyperEdit, with the great help from the community of course.
  21. Death Engineering

Duna Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge

It's time for another run at this challenge! This is something I'd been thinking about for awhile, simmering on ideas for better surface base plans and more effective use of in-situ resource production. Originally, the idea was to incorporate USI Life Support plus MKS/OKS systems and get right into the advanced resource framework those mods provide. However, that mod has the capability of off-planet fabrication of more than just resources, making it banned from this challenge. Hrmph. So.. this entry will instead be using the USI Life Support mod only, along with the Nils277 Planetary Base Systems and Feline Utility Rovers for primary base construction. The Stockalike Station Parts Redux will round out parts for orbital and interplanetary construction. Initial testing is going well and all parts seem to be playing nice together so far, but will be awhile before even a basic launch schedule is up. For now, mod list: Feline Utility Rovers Planetary Base Systems Stockalike Station Parts Redux Restock USI Life Support Kerbal Alarm Clock KRASH (Kerbal Simulator) Stock Visual Terrain Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements Primary Lifter: 30t NPM Reusable: Yes Days between new lifter: 180
  22. I seem to have run into an issue where the Countdown Text (the pips, i also tried editing the config to text according to the instructions) bits do not show when approaching a maneuver node. I'm not sure if its a bug with the mod itself or it having an issue with other mods/squad's code instead. The mod itself IS working, I've seen the Geosync, time to entry interface and SRB burn time indicators, but not the one that's arguably the most useful, the pips themselves. Looking at the log doesn't show any errors (so far as I can see) of the mod spazzing out or otherwise glitching, so I dunno what is going on. Any ideas?
  23. Ok, that's fine. I would agree that redoing the LEM should wait until you have all the other stuff ironed out first. On another note: the SheLab looks amazing, when you get to the AAP stuff you need to make one of those! And the little rover that it deploys. For that matter, any Lunar rover would be good, since currently, it's very hard to make ones that fit on the side of the MEM. Also, if the MOLEMs wheels are that difficult, you could just make the MOLEM ascent stage variant and the wheels can be borrowed from another mod, or from stock. For now, though, we can always stick to trying to modify the already existing MEM parts: https://imgur.com/gallery/y9DhLU3
  24. I would get together with the other faceless drones, and we would be Legion. Side note: "Legion" is the name the demon gives in Mark 5:9, Luke 8:30. Even as an atheist I really enjoy the literary style of the King James Version--It influenced a LOT of writers.
  25. Yeah, here's the thing to bear in mind: Engines are dead weight. The less mass you have on your ship, the better. If you had two engines that were absolutely identical in all other respects except mass, naturally you'd always pick the lighter one. It would be unambiguously better for all situations. Also, your dV is directly proportional to your Isp. That's hugely important, since the only other way to add dV to your ship besides "higher Isp engine" is to add more fuel mass, but then you're fighting the rocket equation because that's logarithmic. So, again, if you had two engines that were absolutely identical in all other respects except Isp, then naturally you'd always pick the one with the higher Isp. It would be unambiguously better for all situations. However... KSP engines are deliberately designed so there are tradeoffs. Engines that have better Isp also tend to be heavier. So "which one gives more dV" depends on other things, such as ship mass. Let's say you're planning an interplanetary transfer stage, which will be running in vacuum. Let's say you're trying to pick between, say... <thinking of two radically different engines> the LV-N and the Spark. Which one's better? Well, in terms of fuel efficiency, obviously the LV-N wins, by a wide margine. Its Isp is 800, compared with the Spark's 320. So, each kilogram of fuel gives you 800/320 = 2.5 times the oomph if you pick the LV-N instead of the Spark. So that's the better choice, right? Well... not so fast. Because the LV-N gets better fuel efficiency, sure... but it also tips the scales at a whopping three tons, compared to the Spark's paltry 130 kg. That means if you pick the LV-N over the Spark, you're lugging along an extra 2.83 tons of dead weight, which will hurt your dV. So... does the better fuel efficiency outweigh the extra mass, or not? Answer: Depends on how big the ship is. I'll pick two deliberately extreme examples: Big ship. Let's say that the rest of your ship, other than the engine, has a mass of 1000 tons. So, you can go with the LV-N for a ship mass of 1003 tons, or with the Spark for a mass of 1000.13 tons. That's hardly any difference at all, is it? Less than 1% of the mass of the ship. So, the fact that you'd get 2.5x the fuel efficiency will far outweigh the fact that the ship is a third of one percent heavier. Clear win for the LV-N. Little ship. Let's say that the rest of your ship, other than the engine, has a mass of 0.5 tons. So, you can go with the LV-N for a ship mass of 3.5 tons, or with the Spark for a mass of 0.63 tons. Now it's a completely different situation: yes, the LV-N has 2.5x the fuel efficiency... but now your ship has got over 5x the mass. So in this case, it's a clear win for the Spark. Also, note that if you're talking about an ascent stage rather than something designed for orbital operations, then the question gets even messier, because then you have to care about TWR, too (i.e. how much thrust the engine has). Note that in none of my above remarks do I mention thrust even once. That's because thrust is irrelevant to dV; all that matters is Isp and your fuel ratio. However, for an ascent vehicle that's launching from Kerbin's surface... it loses a lot of dV to gravity losses, and in general you want a higher thrust to offset those. Higher TWR is better... but high-TWR engines also tend to have low Isp, so that's another tradeoff to juggle. In the end, there's no one simple "rule". If you're considering alternate options, you just need to run the numbers for each (either with a calculator or something, or just try building both ways in the VAB and see what the numbers say), and then pick the one you like.
  1. Load more activity