All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. This guess is totally wrong. All parts created by KIS are vessels, otherwise the game would not be able to deal with them. Even when you see a lone part (say, pylon) it's a standalone vessel from the game's perspective. Too bad. I hoped you can give useful information on how we can solve this years-old problem... The root of the problem is actually well known. It's about how the the vessels positioning works. The "surface" is a dynamic thing in KSP. What was at the game save is not what will be at the load of this saved state. When game loads the state, it repositions all the vessels in the scene to put them on surface. If vessel is rigidly attached to a fixed point, this process cannot be accomplished. So, now you're gambling: the vessel can end up on the surface (good), below it (kaboom or jump up), or above it (welcome "hanging" objects). The hanging objects have a nasty side effect: they fall thru terrain on time warp since the game assumes they are in "fly" situation. The main output from this: never attach vessels to a fixed position! I loved the static attach feature in the game (used it many times in the old carrier games), but today it simply unsafe. The only reason why I've left this feature in KIS is because I started working on KIS v2, leaving v1 in a maintenance state. I think there may be some hacks to get it around. In the worst case, the whole repositioning logic can be duplicated to align the attached object on load! Never spent enough time to investigate it though. The inertia hack looks promising and easy to implement, but my guts tell there will be nasty edge cases. Thus, investigation and test are needed.
  3. This is a tongue-sticking-out emoji: It commonly indicates a lack of seriousness. This is the delta-v symbol: Δv It indicates the amount of effort you will have to expend to intercept the joke as it passes overhead.
  4. In one save I started experimental missions to every other planet. None of them arrived because I was too busy doing Mun and Minmus shots in the meantime.
  5. Wow what an amazing trailer, can't wait for the release:) Here's a suggestion for KSP2: make a slider to adjust the length of the fuel tanks. in my opinion that's more convenient than stacking the same fuel tanks over and over again.
  6. Not to the hatch, but to the port attached to the hatch. And that's why it has it's own RCS thrusters and reaction wheel. When you're close enough to the mined asteroid, your can undock it from the carrier, navigate it to the square port attached to the hatch and dock it there. If you have forgotten the port between noting station and the hatch, bring it along with the gateway and use KAS to attach it on site. Be sure to bring enough kerbals for the work: it's heavy. I'm also waiting for the opportunity of enough spare time to fix all issues and release it at last! BTW, only the Workshop recycles, you don't need the Assembly Line. And keep in mind that the more skilled the engines in it, the more resources you recycle from the same part.
  7. @DDE Would it be possible to produce moment tensor from the available seismic data ? Could it be used to infer the location of explosion that has happened ?
  8. Something like kerbal alarm clock or some other ways to deal with complex missions. Maybe the game can allow negative time-warp, where cannonically you are a different kerbal of mission control doing something in tandem with the first guy. If a space program has enough funds to build a deadalus, surely it has enough funds to hire more staff at mission control. ------ I'd personally like things to do with the more astronomical side of things. Sure KSP is about conquering the physics with rocket technology, especially in connection to the current/past rocket tech of KSP 1. However I'd like some aspects that focus on exploring the world the kerbals live in, and their place in it. Having the ability to see some astronomical phenomena up close, have kerbals(' societies) be impacted by the laws of physics and being involved in consequential astronomical (as opposed to technological) research. Ideas for this include; Axial tilt Activities surrounding the building space (and land)-telescopes, and other surveying sensors (climate, on-body weather, space weather, particles, debris-items, gravitational waves, light of various wavelegnths etc) this can be done with space engineering in mind, and is something that space programs do deal with. A sky-box that diplays the rest of the galaxy and further universe (both the reach-able part, but also the unreachable part of their universe. I'd imagine it be able to be photographed by sufficient telecopes, and studied.) Activities surrounding the monitoring of space weather Being impacted by the astronomical science possibilities set up by the player; these events could maybe serve as ideas to do to keep playing, for those players who find it difficult to keep thinking of things to do. learning about bodies as a player from having done research, not having all the data there at once. learning about the bigger galaxy by studying other galaxies (as is done in real life) using the previously mentioned telescopes, having the map view change drastically as the view on the galaxy becomes more clear. having to evacuate colonies/ships because of space weather or small debris learning about new places to go and explore in the reachable part of the galaxy, as you build more infrastructure Simulating Relativity around bodies like black holes and the likes. It sounds far-fetched, but maybe it works when done in a similar way to aerodynamics in KSP 1, a timestep simulation instead of on-rails mechanics. I say that knowing that "timestep simulation of Relativistic Physics" is a warped concept because of the weirdness of time. However, we know that children can do orbital manouvres nowadays that actual space pilots used to struggle with, because of KSP. Maybe "getting a feeling for relativity" can sort of be achieved as well if you are allowed to experience it. Being influenced by the conequences of debris (altough it needs to be balanced.)
  9. Maybe they have now another format, and very likely a different set of "Module..."s. Maybe model/texture are now declared in other way. So, say, the name and the mass stay same, but that's isn't "compatible".
  10. Both fair. I retract the ballparking comment. I never did teach myself to like long time warp flights. I made it Duna, Eve and Moho without them. Went to Jool once, warping all the way and found it unsatisfying. Your mileage clearly varied.
  11. Ahah! The previous rocket family (100-200t to LEO class) worked because I maintain a standard excess delta-V when designing my rockets of about 300 m/s. With these big rockets, they could circularize their payload at the standard altitude without hitting the negatives due to the substantial excess fuel needed to 300 m/s for large payloads, but once I tried to make a smaller family (20-80t to LEO), that margin wasn't enough anymore and I started hitting the negatives. At the very least it's easy to modify this myself, as I know the fuel fraction for balloon tanks and can just add lead mass until I reach it. Badabing. But I will still probably upgrade soon (RO had not been released for anything higher than 1.4.5 when I first developed this build), anyway. Thanks! Just want to make sure: Where's the right place to put this?
  12. @Gremillion @PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[SSTUModularPart],@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]:HAS[~basemass[<0]]]:FINAL { @mass = 0 }
  13. In fact, we don't know is Kerbin still flat until the KSP 2 release.
  14. Granted. Danny2462 considers it absolutely unusable. Granted. You get an ugly jerk as a friend, so everyone says that of you two you are nicer. I wish for an anti-mosquito laser.
  15. Wow! Thank you very much! I wasn't aware it was being maintained still! I'm installing now, I've got the KSP itch again after the KSP2 reveal. This will go well with my setup I've come up with so far!
  16. On another hand, all Musk's ventures have something similar: financial losses and fantasy plans, why SpaceX should differ?
  17. I would not mind an ICBM was system where you need to hit your target from the otherside of the planet, who ever hits the most targets wins you would need to design your ICBM going into it
  18. Since 2015 Google's motto is "Do the right thing", not "Don't be evil" anymore.
  19. This should be the mod. The REVELATION BASE is capable of producing Orion Drives (as well as other spacecraft/spacecraft components/base modules) out of in-situ resources. The setup to produce Orion Drives off-world is very complicated, but I can explain it to you if you want. Also, it makes me more than glad to see others following in my footsteps.
  20. Dude, I've been playing online since the 1980s. Hell, the 1st MMOs were PvP flightsims, even back then. Before browsers, Windows, and even the "light web" because it was all the original "dark web" back then (except we didn't yet call it the "web" because the whole www thing hadn't yet happened). So yeah, I think I know considerably more about how MP works, and the effects it has on games and their communities, than you do. Sure, KSP deathmatch will be a thing. Certainly it won't be officially sanctioned but look at all the BDA tournaments and challenges that have been going on for years. This fairly large player base has doubtless been itching to fly their own craft rather than let the AI do it. And even if there's never a BDA-type mod for KSP2, you can still make quite effective missiles with I-beams and Sepratrons. But forget the deathmatch. Even if most folks spend most of their MP time co-oping with the same few like-minded friends, there can't help but be community-wide events. It would be highly surprising if the devs don't organize some themselves to spotlight the feature and attract attention. But whether they do or not, the community certainly will. It opens up a whole new type of challenge. Which team can accomplish a set goal the fastest/cheapest/coolest? Or more to the point, say it's a US vs. USSR space race competition. Then 1 team will say the parts available to them at the various tech nodes suck compared to the parts available to the other team, giving the other team an unfair advantage. So a balance overhaul will happen, resulting in 2 parts with essentially identical stats and differing only in appearance, just to make MP contests "fair and balanced" even if most players don't participate and don't what this change in their SP worlds.
  21. How bout we start a GoFundMe to see those numbers? (If law allows)
  22. One thing you'll notice about all of Musk's side ventures, is that they all tie in to the end goal of SpaceX. They all are developing various pieces of technology that SpaceXwill need in the future.
  23. Then somebody does the nice thing and kills you fast and painlessly so life is less of an issue. I wish Danny2462 bugtests KSP 2
  1. Load more activity