All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. One thing you never did was show how much momentum per Watt you get out of a photon, and compared that to an ion being flung into space. You need a unbelievably efficient process to begin to make sense. Why a laser? It seems that ordinary luminescence would be more efficient. You don't need to focus the light all that well, just enough to get going in the right direction. Is a laser needed to handle the concentration of energy in space? I understand most of the research was for lasers, but that doesn't mean that they make the best means for an engine. Blackbody radiation will be used regardless of the interstellar propulsion method. Also expect to eventually align your radiators perpendicular as speeds go relativistic (presumably half pointing each way) to travel, just to avoid the constant high-energy bombardment from interstellar hydrogen hitting your radiators.
  3. I want to out-planet the Planet Suite. Holst's suite is great music, but focuses on the mythology for which the planets were named. Now that we know so much about the planets as actual worlds, I think we're in need of a true Solar System Suite. I have a list of celestial bodies I want to include which offer a diverse perspective on the solar system as it truly is. Do you think I'm missing any particularly unique objects within our solar system which deserve a spot? Here is my list: A note- this won't be finished for some time.
  4. SpaceplaneAddict

Waiter, theres a _____________ in my soup!

It is exactly what you wanted is it not? Waiter, there is a cripplingly sad state of mind in my soup
  5. roboslacker

The Deer (Game I'm making)

This'll be fun to play next halloween.
  6. Cognitive changes: The US Navy is unlikely to publish data for similar results on board submarines. I wonder what the results for Antarctic base (especially over the N. hemisphere's summer) are.
  7. PhoenixRise86

Lowest Mass To Duna and Back Challenge

I'll give it a shot. Not sure I can beat 3.95 tons, but it'll be fun to see how close I can get.
  8. My confing: i5-6600k/Geforce GTX 1070/16Go ram/Win10 Hello i have a problem in game. Everytime I launch or switch to another vessel the game is laging hard ( big IPS drop) for 30sc before evrything become normal and fluid again. So everytime i switch i have to wait 30sc in the pause menu. It do this only in this save the others saves dont. I also remember in the begining of this saves it wasnt doing this. I only have a little station on orbit around kerbin and 2 little relay around minmus and kerbin, it can't be the fact that i have too mutch vessels flying maybe. I have 0 mods installed the game files are clear and reinstalled checked with steam etc. I also tried to up and down the graphic settings nothing change and i dont think its beacause of this because it exactly the same thing low or high. Does this happen to one of you ? And do you think there is a solution to this ? PS: Im French so sorry for my bad english.
  9. juanml82

Making RSS easier?

Well, the quick answer is to use SSRSS , which shrinks the solar system to kerbal proportions, but I'd also be interested in some sort of RSS Easy Mode
  10. tygoo7

The Deer (Game I'm making)

Devlog #3 is out ma dudes! https://dododigitalgame.com/blog/the-deer-devlog-3
  11. Tonka Crash

Discussion re. renaming installation directories

My feeling is if it simplifies things in the long run; do it and deal with the short term fallout. I would not complicate things by trying to make the transition graceful. I would want things to break in an obvious, easy to identify manner.
  12. LordFerret

What do you think about 7 billion human game?

I think the two biggest and most important issues are: how will you provide them all water to drink, and food to eat. Oh, wait, that's real life. Never mind.
  13. Twogoodsoul

Jeb got inside of the Mun Arch.

Yes, Yes! I know! I should have filed a Bug Report, But! Where's the fun in that? So, I stumbled across a Mun Arch and was like "Huh, I wanna plant a flag on top of it!" So I did and I accidentally fell to my doom. So I reloaded the save and I got stuck in the Mun Arch. Nice! I was able to get out, but it took time because I was falling inside the Mun Arch. Here's some footage (P.S I edited the game to have Jeb's name different, it's still Jeb just his name's different.)
  14. Yinyin974

[Lost newbie need help :(]

This was a realy dumb question my bad guys there were so many solution to this, sorry for the waste of time and thank your for your reply!
  15. We already knew about problems in free fall, though. We also know that centrifuges can provide a force very similar to the normal force we experience on Earth - we don’t feel gravity, we feel the normal force. According to relativity the pseudo force that people in accelerating frames experience is practically identical to the force people on Earth feel, though possibly with different magnitudes. Thus there’s reason to believe that a centrifuge can at the very least mitigate these issues if not completely fix them. There are other issues as well such as fluid flow differences in the body where a force like gravity would help tremendously. Not to say I wouldn’t appreciate experiments that test this in space, of course. If I recall the twin experiment did their best to keep almost everything except for the different environment the same, so food is an unlikely culprit. Rotation doesn’t generate gravity, rather it forces objects to follow a curved path by accelerating them, but this acceleration is felt as “gravity.” I don’t think radiation would be that significant. Maybe that’s an aspect for the telomeres, but I’m not sure about cognitive functions.
  16. razark

Shower thoughts

Huh. What ever happened to that free speech I recently heard about?
  17. kerbiloid

Discussion re. renaming installation directories

A general directory for all maintained mods. Mod subdirectories with unified names, with no relation to their maiden names. A standard mod list with unique UUID for every supported mod, its maiden path, its new path, and last version. A check utility which is passing through the files in GameData, searching maiden directories and showing a window "You have some mods linked to obsolete paths. They are: ...". This will not cover everything, but most of external links can be found. Then the user will poke the bear in corresponding thread, and if the modder is interested in his mod working, he would correct the external paths in his files. Maybe, ModuleManager should have an ability to refer to the mods by their UUID, as unlike the authors' fantasy, UUID is not limited and always unique and can be generated by various tools by everyone. Anyway, most of mods ever existing are obsolete long ago and don't work anymore, so why not start their proper catalogization from 1.7.0.
  18. Today
  19. I just bought it, I wonder what do you think about it?
  20. RCgothic

SpaceX Discussion Thread

0922 BST. Think I'll stick this one on as a short break from work!
  21. RCgothic

NASA SLS/Orion/Payloads

Yet another reason SRBs have no business being anywhere near a man rated launcher.
  22. Hotel26

Gang Star/Luna Mesa IVA Contest

(Since no one other than brave Vasily has yet attempted this challenge, I think an Extension To The Rules is fair.) Rule XI: landing gear MUST be fully extended prior to first contact with the ground. (You knew that) Rule XII: no tampering with Gang Star equipment is permitted under any circumstances: particularly NO adjustment of throttle limiters, which must all remain at 100%. Rule XIII: usage of monopropellant is not permitted at any time.
  23. Thank you greatly for the feedback guys. Well, optional tanks if you just happen to have B9PS installed sounds good to me? (Not to close the discussion, keep going if you want ) Speaking of adapters, the Soyuz needs a few (+ some bonus adapters). Thanks to some texture tricks these are fitting all on a little block of tiled islands, neat! Kosmos filling in for 1st stage duty.
  24. Acronyms! Acronyms! The travelling circus had great acronyms! (I think it had something called BATHMAT). <reputation>
  1. Load more activity