All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. @ColdJ Hey, I'm having this weird problem and I was wondering if you could help me. I finished making a KK static in sketchup, then exported to blender with colliders and shaders having been set up in blender, and i think i set up the materials correctly too. I Exported it as a .MU and wrote a .CFG for it but it just will not load in game for some reason and i'm not sure why. Any help you can provide? I can post screenshots or send you a link to the model privately, as I don't want it public yet.
  3. Wikipedia says the burn-time of f-9 first-stage using FT engines is 162 seconds. Even just a quick visual inspection of the engines of a Falcon 9 would mean maintenance time > run time. So if each first stage took less than 1 hour of inspections/repairs per launch, it would still be getting maintenance > 2x the total burn time of the engines, something that would likely put most airlines out of business. (9*162 / 60 = 24.3 minutes of total burn time per launch. May not include <1m for landing burn)) If SH takes 2 hours from landing to launch, it could still average > 10x maintenance time per flight-hour. (F9 takes just less than 10 minutes from launch to landing for RTLS) I do not see much value in taking SH maintenance down to even a 1:1 ratio of flight time to maintenance time, as the falcon 9 needs >30 minutes to load fuel, and I would not expect SH to be faster than that. (As refueling is often counted as maintenance, taking SH down below 10:1 maintenance time:flight time might well be impossible even if the only maintenance is refueling)
  4. Pathé News Monday 1st February 1960 “A surprise announcement from Puck Aerospace Chief Executive Peadar Kincaid rocked journalists at a press conference at their Kourou, French Guiana headquarters today. Riding high on the successes of their fledgling space programme, the ambitious entrepreneurs have signed an agreement with a consortium of European aerospace companies and governments to begin developing some daring new rockets. Not content with merely sending artificial satellites into orbit around the Earth, they plan to launch probes to explore our nearest neighbour, The Moon! “While Mr Kincaid admitted that they did not have the technology to achieve even the simplest of the new project’s goals as yet, he stated that several lines of research are planned and he was confident that they would soon show real progress and have close up photos of The Moon from space within the next 18 months to two years. “Opinion amongst various experts interviewed following the announcement was mixed, with several expressing the belief that while both the Soviets and the American space programmes have demonstrated recently that reaching the Moon is just barely within mankind’s abilities now, they feel that the smaller independent Puck Aerospace will not have the same capability for many more years yet.” Pathé News Wednesday 10th February 1960 “Flying high on her earlier success last summer, Mdme Arlette Bertrand of Puck Aerospace once more climbed into the skies above South America as she took her Condor research aircraft on a survey flight 25 kilometres above the French Guianan and Brazilian coastlines during an 80-minute mission today.” Pathé News Wednesday 2nd March 1960 “Test pilot Mdme Arlette Bertrand was once again breaking records as she took Puck Aerospace’s Kestrel experimental jet aeroplane up for a short flight from Kourou, French Guiana today. Climbing almost to the edge of the stratosphere, Mdme Bertrand held her plane at more than 18,000 metres while making a three-minute speed run at a peak speed of 721 ms-1 (1,612 mph). Once again pushing her plane to its very limits. After returning safely to Kourou airport, she expressed the opinion that while she could perhaps squeeze a little more speed out of the current engines, they were operating right at the limit of their heat tolerance and pushing them much further risked explosive failures.” Pathé News Monday 21st March 1960 “Hawker Siddeley’s new experimental rocketplane was rolled out for its first test flight from Puck Aerospace’s facilities in Kourou, French Guiana today. Test pilot Mlle Marguerite Laurent was aiming to take the plane more than 85 km into the sky but after releasing from the carrier aircraft several hundred kilometres off the Guianan coast, she reported some minor control issues during the initial ascent and briefly shut down her engines while she regained control. With the aircraft once again in the correct orientation she attempted to start the engines once more, but only one responded. Despite a couple more attempts, the starboard engine refused to light again, and Mlle Laurent was forced to hold the throttle on the remaining engine at a severely reduced setting to prevent the off-centre thrust pushing her aircraft out of control. “Despite these difficulties however, she did succeed in setting new altitude and speed records with a peak altitude of 81,023 metres (50.3 miles) and a top speed on ascent of 1,524 ms-1 (3,409 mph). A second attempt will be scheduled for the end of next month.” Pathé News Friday 29th April 1960 “There were no engine problems for Puck Aerospace’s XSP-01 rocketplane today when it carried test pilot Mlle Marguerite Laurent to new record-breaking heights and speeds, reaching a top speed of 1,571ms-1 (3,514 mph) while climbing 90,986 metres (56½ miles) into the sky above the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of French Guiana today.” Pathé News Friday 10th June 1960 “In their first major rocket launch of the year, Puck Aerospace showed off their new Lycan rocket. While smaller than the massive Xanthos launcher, it utilises much of the same technology although the first stage used only a single one of the booster engines, the lighter upper stage should have been capable of placing a small scientific probe into an orbit crossing above the Earth’s poles in order to take low resolution video photographs of the whole planet’s surface over the next several months. “Unfortunately, there was another failure of the booster engine, with an abrupt drop in performance just 90 seconds into the flight dooming the mission to failure. The probe managed to only transmit a small number of images before falling back into the atmosphere and being destroyed just 29 minutes after launch. Another attempt will be scheduled for later in the year.” Pathé News Monday 20th June 1960 “Puck Aerospace test pilot Mdme Arlette Bertrand set a major milestone in manned spaceflight today, by taking their experimental rocket plane up above the 100 km mark for the very first time. According to a new ruling by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), this qualifies her as the world’s first astronaut. Mdme Bertrand only had a few minutes to appreciate these lofty heights before plummeting back into the atmosphere and gliding her plane to a safe landing on the runway at Kourou, French Guiana.” === Gameplay notes and screenshots
  5. this is Campaign saves, when you start the game, you go to singleplayer, and you see all the singleplayer saves, they call it Campaigns, auto saves is prob an issue aswell.
  6. A typical illegal oil refinery. Hundreds (thousands?) of them were working two decades ago in some regions right in field. Not much harder than a moonshine plant. Allows to fuel low-octane engines, multi-fuel diesels, and stolen high-octane engines (significantly decreases the engine lifespan, so don't fuel with it your personal BMW). It's simple. The petrol composition is from pentane (boiling point +36 C) to heptane (+98 C) and octane (+125 C). Thus, by warming the oil to touch-hot temperature, you vaporize away all light fractions, by heating to boiling water point - distillate and collect the low-octane fractions, then by further boiling - low-quality machine oil and hudron. To operate and service the plant, a family of shepherds is enough. Another option for diesels is, say, rapeseed oil, but you should make the injector hole wider.
  7. Today
  8. Mechanical power from water is easy and is more than 5000 years old, so that will clearly be a thing very quickly. Mechanical wind power is almost 3000 years old, both less concentrated and less reliable, but still pretty useful and should be back fairly quickly. Turning either of those into electric power mostly requires magnets and wire, so intermittent local power(like a flour-mill that doubles as a battery charger) should be reasonably common, but if it gets set up by someone with limited understanding of electric theory(such as myself) such a charger is likely to damage the batteries with every charge. Fortunately, batteries are more than 200 years old, so if you have copper and zinc, you can turn those into electrical power as well. Unfortunately, oil is of limited use without refineries, and refineries would be a primary target(tanks run poorly without fuel after all), so only chemists would be able to run vehicles until new refineries were produces(I think fractional distillation can provide something functional, but I would expect it to be hard on any engine that uses it) Straight crude could be burned as fuel, but would generally be inferior to coal, as liquids are harder to store and handle than solids. Wood would likely be superior to both where it is available, as it is much less likely to produce hazardous fumes when burned. So long as fuel reserves held out, food production would be in good shape, but would go down dramatically once farmers run out of diesel. Food processing would likely have issue before that however. Fortunately, it looks like almost all of the population is is major cities(86% in cities of 50k+ in 2020 for the US), so a drop in food production is probably not as critical as it would otherwise be. There would probably be at least a decade of 'everyone is a farmer' with the related loss of population to starvation before we stabilized and started growing again. Assuming no one was in a position where they could take advantage of our weakened state to invade.
  9. Took some digging, [forum-searches were useless, as usual] but skimming through my past posts I eventually found such a discussion elsewhere. Ah... I see my post over there was in response to you, @Scarecrow71
  10. Are you still following the roadmap or not? Tell us. Do you know where you are on the map? Tell us. Get roadblocked by a killer bug or set back? Tell us. Right now it appears the game is dead in the water and you're doing nothing but procrastinate delivering the cancellation news, because you can't seem to communicate in a post addressing the lack of communication. Give us *something* other than more empty promises. SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE DONE.
  11. So I have graded a perfectly-flat 6x6 km landing field, Eva Firma, 3100m altitude at -0.2169 +169.7142. SSTO is most probably going to be a Mk2 capsule (3 kerbs) + hopefully 2 Hitchhikers (8 kerbs) and will be vertical liftoff, return glide capability and vertical landing under chutes. Thus it can easily return to Eva Firma and be refueled, passengers embarked and disembarked. Fuel trucks and fuel production will be onsite. At departure time, the SSTO will make a short ascent trajectory over the nearby Mauve Mountain facility, currently 6415m MSL, located at -0.5147 +167.5023 and land there fore topping up before final ascent to LEO. The launch platform therefore only has to be big enough to target for landing from nearby, plus contain a fuel depot and fuel trucks. I think 500x500m should be sufficient, thereby reducing the amount of earth-moving. So the the remaining question is still the key question. How high? Any advice about engines would also be helpful!? I guess this can be trial & error. My next step should probably be to get a dV budget and then make a preliminary space-glider design. Even just 7 kerbs in & out in an SSTO config would be outstanding, so I will start with that as a baseline. I have this funny feeling that everything about this project is going to be toad-ugly, except for the bottle of champagne at the end.
  12. Not to get too far off track, but this is a serious issue that the developers need to take into account with Colonies. I've got >1000 hours in KSP1, and a couple hundred in KSP2. And I still cannot land accurately on my own, nor can I do so with the right speed (or lack thereof, as it were). Automated landings have to be a thing or colonies won't be very good for the majority of players that the company is trying to attract.
  13. This was definitely one of the most disappointing things I saw on discord the other day. Dynamic missions are an achievable feature, and not a lofty goal. There is work to do there but its not some great hurdle. But what actually irks me is that they haven't taken a single sprint, on a project that has a mission design team, to add another 10-20 static missions to the list? That definitely was one of the most disappointing things to me. This development team is at risk of tuning out the customer and missing the opportunity to adjust course...and the crazy part is that it is in the name of tuning out the customer so they don't waste time changing course.
  14. I had suggested something for 'now' (pre-colonies) just above your comment, but I do like your post-colonies one better... Except I might put it on Minmus, to mirror both my own idea (to help triangulate signals from beyond Kerbin's SOI, for which Minmus would be better placed than The Mun) and because Minmus' lower gravity and no atmosphere should make colonization [and repeat precision landings] easier for first attempts.
  15. Constrains IFT-4 to NET April 25 (no later than Oct 25)
  16. I think my issue with the story is that it just goes too fast. You launch a rocket, you get into space, you spend time on Mun and Minmus...now go to Duna, and follow that up by going to Tylo. And you're done. Too quick. For something called "Exploration Mode", there isn't enough focus on actually exploring the solar system. Heck, these monuments just appear out of nowhere without having to even go there first to find that something is amiss. I was hoping that there would be some changes to the story when we got colonies. Like maybe "set up a colony near the monument in Duna and do some science to see if it gives anything or any reason for it being there". Maybe they are all connected via some kind of signal, and you have to send colonists to all locations for reasons. But I guess that won't happen. What's really sad is that, if there truly are no changes to the story missions, there may be no reason for me to play until Interstellar drops.
  17. And/or "create an uncrewed station orbiting Kerbin [or The Mun] with 'X' amount of Methalox and 'Y' amount of antennas" followed by "dock to the station with a newly-launched crewed vehicle to bring it online". Mainline progression would then be Minmus Monument signal shows something coming from further out in the Kerbollar system (or even "know it is somewhere on Duna"), but we're not entirely sure where of the coordinates, and so a crewed observation post a bit out from Kerbin helps with triangulation, as well as guides new players to try docking.
  18. Primary. The ones directly related to monument discovery storyline. Those that end up as a cliffhanger until interstellar arrives. We may see more of secondary missions soon. There was a mission feedback thread somewhere after all. It's true that the main missions could have some sort of introductory tasks before "land specifically at target on a world you've never seen before", but other than that, there's nothing between Minmus and Duna. It's a logical next step. Only, the next step should be "flyby/orbit Duna" rather than where it points you now.
  19. My Mun rover was close from a landmark I had to visit...
  20. The current Mission Plan does not currently have changes to existing primary mission sequence. Is this worded so to be purposefully ambiguous? Or, does it pretty much confirm that mission are complete.. at least until some additional DLC. I have been holding out for hopes of some kind of confirmation they would implement the "contract configurator" system at some point. I have alway thought this was supposed to build upon the elements thay we all loved about KSP1. I maintained hoped that at some point they would begin to confirm various aspects of that being the case. This game does have potential to shape up into something truly amazing. The modding community of KSP1 are the reason it was successful for so long. People can argue this, but look at (non mmo) games that maintain relevance 15 years later. Morrowind still has a Huge following due to this. DOOM may remain one of the most famous titles of all time due to the embracing of modders. DOOM was recently modified to display on GMO e-coli gut cells. The refresh rate was abyssmal...but DOOM appeared in a national publication how many years later. It is clear mission considerstions are over, but a bad@$$ member of the modding community working on a more career approach. The mod is taking off, but looks like missions part is delayed / backburner. I may return when / if the procedural mission part of that mod ever drops. I love you all .. everyone one of the KSP community members. Even those I disagree / argue with. It has become pretty clear to me that this game intends to be something vastly different in spirit. That's OK. It's just not what I bought into the idea of. My greatest fear is loading up the game and seeing the missions for sale @ 1$ each. Buy parts packs & other mods that the community created. That my prediction for the future. I hope I am wrong. I'll be in the halls of KSP1 .. ::waves::
  21. Small adapter bit The old soyuz adapters will need to be deprecated in this version, and I forgot to add equivalents to the new soyuz parts, so I have added some generic adapters in 4 colours to fill this role. REQUEST! As we are nearing the release of the VA parts, can I ask or any bugs people are experiencing, so they can be fixed in time for this release?
  22. Honestly, no idea at this point. KSP2 has put a sufficiently sour taste into my mouth that its probably going to take some unexpected catalyst to really revive that interest from me. On paper, Resources being integrated into the game could do it, but in practice I'm not so sure. They would have to be both mechanically well integrated into part cost but also colony operations. While that sounds like an 'Obvious' thing they'll do, it was also considered 'obvious' that they'd overhaul science which didn't come to pass. If base KSP2 doesn't meet expectations then modders might be able to do something about it, but at that point its just a pure gamble as to whether it'll even come to pass. Not do I have confidence at this time that the game is stable enough to even enjoy a protracted playthrough - I'm still subscribed to various KSPTubers, and its pretty rare for me to see something where they don't encounter a mission killing bug, or in recent memory the one who had his entire save file eaten. Resources might just turn out to be a monkeys paw where all it does is bring glaring attention to a new set of issues I didn't experience with my minimal consecutive mission playtime. I already more or less have to remind myself to pop in once every few weeks or so to see if we've actually gotten any useful communication, so its not like its burning a hole in my mindspace that I'm trying to find ways for the game to fill. At this point, its a failed release in my eyes, and it'll take some mindblowing update or incredible must-play mod widely circulating and being talked about for it to really resurface it to me.
  23. One thing you could do before LGG shows up, is fix these. None of these folders in GameData are correct. There shouldn't ever be a folder in here with version numbers in the name. You probably need to dig deeper until you find the GameData folder inside these zip files, and then it's the contents there that get copied to your GameData folder. (Don't forget to nuke these folders). Also, I can tell you it takes a LOT of work to get 300 mods to live together with no conflicts. IXS-Warship-for-Blueshift-1.0.7.1 MiningExpansion-1.1.6 Mk2Expansion-1.9.1.4 Mk3Expansion-1.6.1.4
  24. I always like to highlight that the "significantly" here was notably understated compared to all of the caution about the timeline. I think it's a bit extreme to put too much stock in that considering there were doubts that it could even be faster. These kinds of interpretations are the kinds of things that set people up for disappointment. I think a fairer assessment is that it will be marginally faster.
  25. In reviews! We're just very busy in life (well don't know about the others but for me that's the case), so sorry about the long delay. No need to report it again, it's there! (And as well as quite a few bug report of other people as well) I will try to do some this weekend. In general if a post is not of quality (not enough information, more than one bug into a report, ...) we try to contact the author (apart if he's anonymous) to help with that. So do not worry if you don't see your bugs for days (even if not ideal), it's just that we're busy or we try to find the source of the bug so it can take time. (I can see soandos, BechMeister, mattihase, you and some anonymous bug reports that are waiting) And if you don't see it for more than a week, you can contact us and we'll try to tell why it's taking so long (or if we didn't approve it).
  1. Load more activity