All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I'm going to call out a specific post in this thread to @Nate Simpson: I could not possibly agree more here. We were promised an update cadence of 6-7 weeks, and it's already been more than 3 months since the last one. We were promised communication updates every 2 weeks, then every month, then once a month, and then ended with "When Mike finally gets the internal calendar straightened". And when you finally do communicate what is going on, all we get is "We have an update coming. Can't tell you when, but look at the clouds!". I'm not going to apologize for my stance on this. The gameplay loop is infinitely more valuable to be working on than graphics at this point. The clouds and PQS improvements are nice - especially if they finally give some semblance of performance updates to those of us with mid-range equipment that you guys stated the game should run on with ~30 FPS. But for all that is good in this world, please prioritize fixing the gameplay loop. Colonies is great, interstellar is nice, resources will be wonderful. But none of that works if we still have the issues we've been complaining about since day 1. Period. Colonies don't work if the dV calculator is broken. Interstellar won't work if trajectory lines disappear. Resources won't work if all of our buildings and ships fall through terrain when we time warp to get to a full load. Thank you for the update. Please keep these coming with better frequency. But please don't just tell us "We're working on this" and then try to distract us with shiny pictures.
  3. Providing an update on my speculated timeline due to news we learned today (confirmation of 0.2.3 and a still unknown on 0.2.2 release date). The average time between updates is now 54 days (up from 49 in quoted post). If 0.2.2 released in 2 weeks we would have it on May 9th, 2024. Using the current average of all update timeframes, we could anticipate 0.2.3 on or around July 2nd, 2024. Again, using the average above, the time between 0.2.3 and 0.3.0 would take us to a release date on or around August 25th, 2024. 0.1 to 0.2 was 9 months, 25 days. This speculative colonies release date would put time between 0.2 and 0.3 at 8 months, 6 days. --- These are rough numbers and approximations only, so I am not making any sound predictions. However, I do believe this is an easy way to put progress into perspective. This timeline still has colonies beating the time it took to reach For Science by roughly a month and a half. Still acceptable, given Nate's previously mentioned hopes. However, there is very little room for additional 3 month gaps between updates and/or a 0.2.4 update if we are to believe his word. I'm skeptical that we get colonies before September 2024, but I would love to be proved wrong.
  4. PQS (and planetary surface graphics more broadly) were covered in a prior Dev Update / Diary, if you want to take a look:
  5. Thanks, Nate and all! Dang those thunderheads!
  6. Thanks for the update ! I have no idea what a PQS decal is, but it's good to see some improvements ! =D I hope we will have the 0.2.2 patch soon. =)
  7. Be honest and just come out with it... This isn't an EA in any sense of the phrase. Fast iteration, quick and regular updates, hotfixes and (the most kerbal of all) not being afraid to fail... I don't see much more than "Look at the shiney, shiney" and the usual suspects of "Soon", "We can't wait to show you" and "We don't have an exact date yet" Nice... Real damned nice.
  8. More frequent updates please; just tell us what the actual hell is going on in a short forum post rather than the dumb memeing we have to put up with to keep up in the Discord. You guys CAN do better and you just have. Also, I agree, we should absolutely get more frequent actual software updates. I'm in waiting mode on this game, you're losing my interest, much as I believe in your ability to produce the game and the promise of the end product, you're not delivering. You guys CAN do better.
  9. Yeah, I just didn't want to get bogged down in details, I agree pretty much with all your points.
  10. Oh yes exactly. Fuel flow stuff , commnet, heating (skin and internal temperature) and jet engines not using kerosene are my gripes I can come up with. Of course, fuel flow mechanics should work just like they do in ksp1. Don't know why they didn't by default. Commnet simply should just be implemented just as it was in ksp1. I don't see why not. Dumbing the game down any more is not fun. I don't know why temperature is not skin/internal and only a global temperature per part. There's a lot more interesting gameplay to be had when it's like that. It was by default in ksp1, so why not now. And now on to jet engines. The only jet engine that should use liquid methane is the rapier. Like the irl (concept) sabre engine uses LH2/LOX Turbojet/turbofan engines in real life do not use cryogenic liquids as fuel. Whiplash, Cheetah, Goliath, Wheesley and Juno are all in this category. There should be jet fuel available. Which could just be labeled as pure kerosene for simplicity. So therefore think there should be fuel switching for standard tanks between LCH4/LOX, LOX, and "generic jet fuel" as well of course procedural wings that can be loaded with fuel. Not talking about hydrogen tanks for the nuclear engines, monopropellant, or xenon gas for ion engines as those are separate things, aka special tanks for specific fuels. I mean all the big standard fuel tanks that currently only take LCH4 and LOX All bipropellant rocket engines in ksp use LCH4/LOX and I feel that is fine to be that simple. But it makes no sense at all for airbreathing engines that aren't the rapier to use cryogenic liquid methane! Tldr All tanks that can currently hold LCH4/LOX should be able to switch between that and a "jet fuel" which should be what Turbojet and turbofan engines should have to use.
  11. Nate you can't tease us with clouds as beautiful as that!
  12. Are you sure, they were buried? Based on the left one, they were killed, or inhumated alive to send them to gods of the underground, especially since the middle one was an anatomically deformed (hermaphrodite? just strangely looking?), and possibly impaled like a vampire. Yes. The arguments. Savonarola is almost an etalon of righteous, non-selfish person, like an AI, just wanting others be as righteous. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions. See, what happened next. Any low-level tribal and criminal society doesn't have a leader established by law, as there is nobody to establish the law. You follow the strongest, or the most rich, or the "eldest" family of your tribe. But you are free to stay alone, until some force wnats to take yours or you. Occupying (in good sense of the word) what area, km2? Typical density for the hunters-gatherers is ~0.1 human/km2. Largest European cities were 10..20..50 k, and they were fed by farmers. Impossible for the hunters-gatherers due to the highly variable amount of food per year. They mass born in fat years, and mass die in thin years, so the population is held at the low bound, and kid mortality is normal. A significant advantage of settled agriculture.
  13. we're continuing to look at this as part of the UI/UX developments mentioned in Nate's post.
  14. I am also hoping for a Science tweak in the next couple updates, I know they didn't necessarily touch on this topic in this post but seeing so much progress coming soon (especially in terms of UI) I think it is appropriate to bring this up. I'm linking my old discussion on this topic, specifically on how the science is gathered from experiments. I think this improvement would also help first time user experiences because on release of FS! I was having a hard time understanding why it was one press and didn't feel like I was actually using all the experiments I put on my craft. There were times where I press the science button and didn't quite know what just happened if anything. Anyways, I just want to share my thoughts on my hopes for the next couple updates (doesn't even need to be 0.2.2). Again I love the communication and am excited to see where this game goes!
  15. I am so glad they hired some of the most passionate modders like blackrack. That actually gives me hope for this game. Oh and I am VERY pleased to see they are fixing exhaust plumes to make them look like realistic versions of themselves. This looks like waterfall, which is the best representation of rocket exhaust plumes I've seen so far. Next thing that's similar is the terribly unrealistic vapor contrails. They don't happen constantly like that in real life. Irl they occur due to pressure dropping, therefore the temperature lowering and then water vapour condensates creating what is basically short lived clouds. That includes for example the ones seen on the top of wings when fighter jets do high g maneuvers at low altitude at air shows, and vapor cones (which is not a sonic boom, but often vapor cones form in the transonic region if the conditions are right) This website: https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/weather/contrails/ Explains the phenomenon well. Also wing tip vortices are called that because they happen at the wing tip. In ksp2, every procedurally generated wing part makes contrails at the tip, but this doesn't mean the tip of the actual wing that may be comprised of multiple wing parts. It annoyingly creates these contrails for every piece. It should only occur on the tip of wings/tails etc.
  16. @ralanboyle Wow, congratulations. I have to say, I am really impressed and this gives me a lot of ideas that I have to try out this evening, thanks!
  17. Today
  18. That is how it should have been from day 1. They need to stop dumbing down this game. A lot of the functionality I used to rely on (fuel flow priority anyone?) has been removed. Don't protect me from myself. I might actually have a pocket full of clues and have reasons for wanting to do things I am no longer able to do in KSP 2 It seems so. I love the improved visuals, but I want solid game play too.
  19. Some content has been removed. Folks, a gentle reminder, please leave real-life politics out of the forum, even tongue-in-cheek or in jest. Thank you for your understanding.
  20. Really nice to see the PQS improvements.
  21. Well, no "giant dot in the sky" then if you prefer to be needlessly specific. The point I was trying to make is that, while the event is certainly rare, cool and something to watch out for, it's still something you might very well overlook if you wouldn't know it was there.
  22. Let's hope this is the first of many posts that will improve communication! One of my biggest hopes for this game is that this thread becomes obsolete
  1. Load more activity