All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. So it's a bit like ours here on Earth, standing 5.5 km tall, adjacent to the Gulf of Alaska:
  3. Here's my 7:39 or 7:42 run depending on how you count, in a ship I call the Pluto I as it kind of looks like a Project Pluto missile. My strategy was to try to get as close as possible to the Rapier speed limit of Mach 5. Mach is higher lower down due to the higher temperatures, so the lower you go, the faster you can go, but then you run into heating issues. I attempted to make a decently thermally resistant craft using creative though not excessive node routing, without going into straight up total thermal/aerodynamic occlusion tech. There is an additional bonus from flying low, the total distance traveled is shorter because the world is round. The vehicle in question. The Vector is responsible for rapidly accelerating the vehicle to about 1000m/s, which makes our time faster, allows the Rapier time to spool up, negates the need for landing gear, and gets the Rapier into the regime it works best at, avoiding the transonic doldrums. After it is out of fuel, the Vector is jettisoned. The fuel tanks and engine are shielded from aerodynamic and thermal forces due to being in a fairing, and the forward fairing, heat shield, and intake are routed in a way where it is pretty aerodynamic and the heat shield takes the brunt of the heating, while still allowing the intake to work, though this is a little cheesey. The first challenge is clearing the mountains and not going too high. The next challenge is heat. If you wanted to, you could probably do the run without the elevons with a redesign, but the elevons are the limiting factor right now because you can't stick them in a fairing. 2-3km seemed to be the sweet spot, but I had to constantly manage throttle to keep the elevons from melting. A few runs were ended because of this. Due to the adjustments required and the 1 degree resolution of MechJeb, at one point I tried 2 elevons in the middle to act as adjustible wings with the deploy function, but they melted very easily and were removed. I was able to keep a cruising speed of roughly 1820m/s for the whole thing, up to 1830 at times, with the elevon overheat indicator between 99 and 99.5%, although the average was definitely slower as I frequently cut the throttle in a panic when the heat rose too high, and dipped down to the 1700s for a while, taking some time to recover. The Pluto I is slowed down by blowing the fairings. I blew them a bit early here, so early I had to go to full throttle and pull all the way up to just barely reach the runway. The parachutes are deployed in 3 stages. There's a drogue, which allows you some amount of engine control if you over or undershoot (the sideways runway is a very small target in this axis), the first main, which lets you pick your landing site for good (engine control can't do much after this point), and the other 2 mains, which were supposed to be deployed right above the ground to cushion the impact. Unfortunately, I came in too fast and deployed both of them early to slow down, so there were several seconds of falling. Touchdown at 7:39. Stable on the ground at 7:42. This design can be improved perhaps down to 7:10 with better piloting - I did a very conservative approach and slowed down way too early. You can probably pass over the runway at full speed at 7:00 (no slowing down for landing). There's not much better you can do with the Rapier alone without doing actual thermal exploits and I don't think that's within the spirit. I suspect that this design is near a local maximum, and that the optimal design for the challenge is a gigantic booster pancake that goes high enough to avoid heating and drag.
  4. Forrest Richard Betts (December 12, 1943 – April 18, 2024) was an American guitarist, singer, songwriter and composer best known as a founding member of the Allman Brothers Band. 234804182024
  5. There are probably no interior blocks, they're a fantasy. The whole thing is probably a ground hill above the rocky hill, covered with thin layer of quick-and-dirty "concrete" blocks, somewhere with photographed steel (sic! in so-called "Bronze Age") rebars and wires, somewhere with metal sheets stuck between the "stone" blocks. That's why the "stone block" rows are not straight, but waving. The ground inside is settling, the blocks are tilting inside. Up to 25% of internal volume is a flat rocky hill, on which the so-called "Grotto" chamber is placed. Next, a "mastab" is built above, with the so-called "Queen's chamber", and the open corridor to it. Later, the corridor was covered with stone roof. Then they added some height and built the so-called "King's chamber". Old pencil paintings are betraying the construction process. Like the old egyptologist pyramid scheme, where the "Great Gallery" yet has no roof on top, lol. Or the note that the rain has washed the ground from the gallery, and it became available. Inside the pyramid, lol. All pre-XVIII paintings depict the pyramids having sharper shape of the so-called "pyramid of Cestius in Rome", and of the so-called "Nubian pyramids", which are much smaller. It proves, that nobody had seen real pyramids until they were finished in XVIII. But the attempt to scale that shape up had fruited into the so-called "Snofru pyramid", having three different angles, because the ground inside the "stone pyramid" was sliding, so they had to make it more flat, then even more flat. Finaly, the so-called "Hufu pyramid" (I believe, it's a joke from "Jefe") and others have the angle of the top segment of "Snofru", at which the ground hill was not sliding. The "secret chamber", detected with muonometry right above the so-called "Great Gallery", is just less dense volume of the ground, settling above the gable roof of the gallery. The so-called "Ancient Egyptian" "temples" and statues have countless autographs of the builders, stamped on the soft material, rather than the tourist scratches. While Cleo #7 and her brohusband Ptolemy #13 were thought out in early years of printing epoch (like other Ramesseses XVIII, the authors were tired of thinking out names and foreign marriages, so gave them numbers and forced to marry their sis and bros), i.e. in XV, it took two centuries to build the stone heaps, finished by the end of XVIII, in the Age of Steel. So, I would guess the pyramids are much closer to us. *** Famous Athanasius Kircher said that he had the whole Catholic world built in his workshop yard. And the famous Bessarion of Nicaea had brought ~800 "Ancient Greek" books, translated into Latin, and was managing a whole literature fabric, "translating" the Platonists, Plotinists, Neo-Platonists, and so on.
  6. Short of FS!, which did nothing but add new complaints and concerns for a lot of people, most feedback hasn't been addressed (addressed as in game changes, not words on a forum) for 14 months. It's no wonder every thread ends in the same spot. See, normally I'd absolutely buy a statement like this, and I applaud your effort whilst definitely not envying your position. Where we are now, this statement sounds like one more for the pile. Promptly hoping to be proven wrong.
  7. Today
  8. Even have a bath Unlimited is probably an asteroid fall. SLBM are the first strike weapon, due to their stealth and possibility of low trajectory. Strategic bombers are mostly cruise missile carriers. So, looks like they spent everything but tactical weapon. To the date, it's still the most viable power source but nuke. Even XIX century British Empire was based on this, much less industrial than modern China. Best use under clouds of smoke. They need high-tech industry for support.
  9. Now Musk is correct in making us an multi planetary species, the problem is that this is ++100 year in the future, its not something he can do, making mining on the moon and asteroids to expand the starling fleet makes more sense today. If we had an second planet with life who we was a bit unlucky with, becoming an multi planetary species would be much easier. This let you bypass lots of the late filters. Now Homo sapiens will go extinct as the Neanderthal did, you want radical life extension and other obvious fixes. If you can not get them you want them for your kids. If it require an species change its not an problem. The n you uplift cats, dogs and bears because you could.
  10. Floor 4739: a sign declaring you are on Floor 4739, Next Floor is Floor 4740. Carry on Wayward Son 220904182024
  11. Floor 4738: Floor 4739: Floor 4740: An impossible shape that always has the area above it inside of it. Floor 4741 Seems To Be The End Of Impossible Shapes Though. Not Sure What's There...
  12. Was in Morocco some years ago, solar hot water systems was everywhere from out rental apartment to farms. Morocco is unlikely to run out of sun.
  13. Floor 4737: a singular gargantuan S 212004182024
  14. My solution has been to regularly purging outdated save files not necessary to my current save from previous versions as well as the current version so long as logged saves for one game doesn't exceed 25 you should be good.
  15. I've had similar issues when transferring between fuel sources. I.E. methelox and hydrogen. Try seperate maneuver nodes for seperate fuels.
  16. if you can cancel gravity you can get to orbit with a box fan. hell you could probably just flap your arms a lot (assuming your gravity canceler and its power supply fit in a backpack).
  17. Thanks for the heads up. I'm really really hoping to see new content soon, definitely need a new itch to play KSP2 again. And welcome back, Mike! Glad to see you back!
  18. Now its an argument of lowering trust rater than shutting down engines later on. But rocket engines burn for short time compared to jet engines who might burn over half the time daily for years. Who is true for passenger planes but not for fighter jets, they are much more highly stressed and need more maintenance.
  19. Lots of tiny bits is waaaaaayyyyyyyaayayayayayyaaayyyy better than hardly any big bits. One feels like communication, the other feels like the cold shoulder.
  20. Trying to tell myself to stay positive and patient. Isn't working, but I am trying. I do not envy you or Dakota. You guys really are in a hard spot right now. And we do thank you for the work you are doing.
  21. Looks like a less critical version of the spegetification bug.
  22. I am here. Is @Deddly able to come play? 203304182024 new page!
  23. Next week™ Even figuring it to mean Friday of next week, I can hold out that long :-)
  1. Load more activity