All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Season 8 is the best!
  3. Probably in the KSPI thread, KwH and MJ are KSPI units. Near Future Solar 1.0.1 Fixed OKEB-15 and -45 being retractable Fixed OKEB-150 not being retractable Updated Spanish translation Fixed power output of Ares panels
  4. Career:Problems with Career & the suggested improvements: The main problem with the career is how lightweight it really is. There is very little to it, and it's hard to actually mess up. This is fine for some, but I think a lot of us were originally hoping for a bit more. A lot of what makes career modes great is the management. You need to be able to see your expenses and take risks. Squad tried to implement this before launch with that one building no one ever clicks on but it really doesn't work that well. a career mode should revolve around time and funds managment. You should see how much it costs to maintain a team of engineers as well as how long it takes to build a rocket. An alarm clock and construction time should be implemented. You should be able to speed up the construction of a craft with part failure chance going up. you should be able to fire staff to lower your costs and hire them as needed. There should be a monthly/yearly expense report. These features would go a long way to making career mode a better mode. A few more ideas would be including things like kerbal konstructs, allowing you to spend money to build more launch pads as well as just more infrastructure. I don't like that particular mod too much because of how messy it looks but a lighter version of it could go a long way. The main point I would say is to look at a game like X-COM. It has a solid management system that would work beautifully in a game like KSP. even the kerbal upgrade sstem could be improved along the same lines.
  5. Enceos

[1.1.2] Orbital Utility Vehicle v1.2.4

@linuxgurugamer Sorry, I'm not sure what kind of license is appropriate for the file. It's a derivative work which has stock mesh and textures inside. In the end I consider this file obsolete, it was made before the "view internals" option was added to the stock game. This internal clips out of the cabin with the option enabled.
  6. Chryssalid 8492

What did you do in KSP today?

I made the Outlaw Star sadly no red to color it
  7. I like where your going, we need a bit more structure and the ability to tell people where we are going as a Space Program. I think you are going a bit to small. These are minor tweeks, but Im really hoping for a completre career overhaul that they would want to put in a DLC. gotta go big. If its to big they might even mak a new game.
  8. Ratwerke_Actual

Val Enjoys The Eternal Sunset Vibe on The Surface of Titan. (SSRSS)
  9. linuxgurugamer

[1.7.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.4.7) 2018-04-26

@EnzoMeertens Got an error this evening when trying to repair broken solar panels (the collapsable 1x6). The exception is below: Log file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lds7mmsgt30nav2/ExceptionLogKSS.zip?dl=0
  10. Today
  11. kirmie44

What is the point?

Not that you couldn't, but you shouldn't. Like it's very easy to get ahead of yourself (Think Apollo 1). This would be implemented through the failure factors listed in the previous part. By testing something in the feild, the part is less likely to fail. I agree with you to an extent. Only the government is a bit harsh. I do agree that they should go into that sort of thing though. They should take a play from X-Coms book. I loved how they included the monthly operating cost each month and how it went so far as to include the cost of the Skyrangers upkeep. It would be cool if they could have you choose if you wanted to be privately funded (having less funding but more free will) or government-run (vise-versa / everything you listed) Also, TEST STATIONS WOULD BE THE BEST! but that could be getting to realistic for some. In my perfect game, they would be in it, probably along with construction time. Something else that would be nice would be true reusability. Like building a launch vehicle that can be reloaded instead of these mods that just refund you for the parts.
  12. satnet

SpaceX Discussion Thread

They could land it on a barge in the Atlantic and ship it back. You still need to move it by sea, but you can avoid the canal, though at an average of US$54,000 for an entire ship passing through the canal they might just add that to the launch cost and still be ahead of their competition by a fair margin (assuming it delivers an appreciable reduction in launch costs). They could also land it on the west coast of Africa and then ship it back (which might be cheaper than going through Panama, but obviously not faster). You could also land on west Africa, refuel, then do a sub-orbital hop back to Florida, which would be very expensive, but extremely fast and a good demonstration of rapid reuse. Since Starship will be returning with at least some dV they can boost back towards land after going out to sea. If they start re-entry over land, but at a point where even a post-breakup ballistic trajectory would take the debris out to sea they might convince NASA and the FAA to allow it, which would minimize the boost back dV. If they aggressively use aerodynamic drag and whatever fuel they can afford to slow down they might be able to maintain a trajectory that ensured the Starship would land in the ocean without going too far away from the landing zone then fly back towards the landing zone and trajectory similar to a Falcon 9. My best guess is that they'll go with the US west coast landing and trip through the canal until either launch cadence or competition forces them to look into one of the other options.
  13. Gargamel

KSP Loading... Breaking Ground Robotics

There's a thread on it floating around here somewhere
  14. Cavscout74

Besides the previously mentioned VTOL testing, I made some pretty good progress in my career today. First, I sent a mining rig to Minmus for a contract. My existing base was happened to be at a nice concentration of ore, so I set down there for the mining: Another contract required putting a lander on the Mun and since I'd unlocked a few new science instruments since my last trip, I thought I'd send them on the lander: I also took the time to abuse sounding rockets by sticking a full-size SRB underneath for fun and profit (another contract, to send an impactor to Minmus) Finally, I sent Jeb & Kelrik on a test flight of a modified Falcon spaceplane. I think I may have fixed the reentry stability problem - mostly. I only lost control while attempting a split-S to return to KSC after overshooting it and I was able to recovery quickly without overstressing anything. I didn't even need to use the hastily added crew cabin escape system. Reentry: And approach to KSC:
  15. I am a few months into KSP and I was not enjoying Career mode. I wanted to explore the Kerbol System in a logical way, but without the extra restrictions of Career mode. Science mode seemed like the answer, if I could do it without having to grind, or to do missions that were more science focused than exploration/progression focused. So here you have my “Logical Progression” Science Mode guide. There is minimal non-destination science or biome hopping, and each mission gets you progressively further into the Kerbol system. Part 1 – Kerbin and it’s Moons Mission 1 – Learn to Science! Mission 2 – Go to Space! Mission 3 – Orbit Kerbin! Mission 4 – Fly by the Mun! Mission 5 – Land a Probe on the Mun! Mission 6 – Land a Kerbal on Minmus! (and Return) Part 2 – Interplanetary Travel To be continued… *Note - This guide does not teach you how to play KSP. Use the in-game tutorials and/or watch Scott Manley videos on YouTube. Mission 1 – Learn to Science! - We don’t have the technology to get to space yet, so we’ll just learn how to science - In the VAB, build a ship with o Mk1 Command Pod o Mystery Goo Containment Unit - Name/Save the ship and Launch - From LaunchPad o Crew Report (1.5) o EVA Report (2.4) o Take Surface Sample (9.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (3.0) - Recover Vessel (Mission 15.9/15.9 Total Science) - In the R&D Facility unlock o Basic Rocketry (5) o Engineering 101 (5) o 5.9 remaining - The liquid fueled engines and decouplers should help get us to space and back Mission 2 – Go to Space! - We should be able to use the liquid fueled engines to escape the atmosphere - In the VAB, build a ship with o Mk1 Command Pod o Mk16 Parachute (Stage 0) o 2x Mystery Goo Containment Unit o 2x 2HOT Thermometer o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 1) o 5x FL-T100 Fuel Tank o 4x Basic Fin o LV-45 “Swivel” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 2) - Name/Save the ship and Launch - Launch! - In Space Near Kerbin o Crew Report (5.0) o EVA Report (8.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (10.0) o Log Temperature (8.0) - Decouple and Parachute down - From wherever you landed (try to save Kerbin’s Water for later missions) o EVA Report (2.4) o Take Surface Sample (9.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (3.0) o Log Temperature (2.4) - Recover Vessel (8.0) (Mission 55.8/61.7 Total Science) - In the R&D Facility unlock o General Rocketry (20) o Stability (18) o Survivability (15) o 8.7 Remaining - Larger fuel tanks and radial decouplers should get us an orbit-worthy ship Mission 3 – Orbit Kerbin! - We don’t have an efficient enough engine to get to the Mun so we’ll settle for high orbit - In the VAB, build a ship with o Mk1 Command Pod o Mk16 Parachute (Stage 0) o 2x Mystery Goo Containment Unit o 2x 2HOT Thermometer o 2x PresMat Barometer o Heat Shield (1.25m) o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 1) o 5x FL-T200 Fuel Tank o 4x AV-T1 Winglet o LV-45 “Swivel” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 2) o 2x TT-38K Radial Decoupler (Stage 2) o 2x RT-10 “Hammer” Solid Fuel Booster (Stage 3) o 2x Aerodynamic Nose Cone - Name/Save the ship and Launch - In Space High Over Kerbin (250KM) o Crew Report (7.5) o EVA Report (12.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (15.0) o Log Pressure Data (18.0) o Log Temperature (12.0) - De-Orbit, Decouple and Parachute down - From wherever you landed, as long as it’s not the same place as before (Water gives more) o EVA Report (2.4) o Take Surface Sample (9.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (3.0) o Log Pressure Data (3.6) o Log Temperature (2.4) - Recover Vessel (10.0) (Mission 94.9/103.6 Total Science) - In the R&D Facility unlock o Advanced Rocketry (45) o Basic Science (45) o 13.6 Remaining - The LV-909 “Terrier” is our ticket to the Mun Mission 4 – Mun Flyby! - Let’s try to get a closer look before trying to land (and some science for a nice probe) - In the VAB, build a ship with o Mk1 Command Pod o Mk16 Parachute (Stage 0) o 2x Mystery Goo Containment Unit o 2x 2HOT Thermometer o 2x PresMat Barometer o SC-9001 Science Jr. o Heat Shield (1.25m) o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 1) o FL-T400 Fuel Tank o LV-909 “Terrier” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 2) o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 3) o 3x FL-T400 Fuel Tank o 4x AV-T1 Winglet o LV-45 “Swivel” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 4) o 2x TT-38K Radial Decoupler (Stage 4) o 2x BACC “Thumper” Solid Fuel Booster (Stage 5) o 2x Aerodynamic Nose Cone - Name/Save the ship and Launch - For an extra challenge, go for a free return trajectory - In Space High Over The Mun o Crew Report (10.0) o EVA Report (16.0) o Observe Materials Bay (50.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (20.0) o Log Pressure Data (24.0) o Log Temperature (16.0) - De-Orbit, Decouple and Parachute down - If you happen to land somewhere new, grab some extra science - Recover Vessel (12.0) (Mission 148.0/161.6 Total Science) - In the R&D Facility unlock o Flight Control (45) o Electrics (90) (26.6 Remaining) - The OKTO, Photovoltic Panels, and Reaction Wheel will be essential to our probes Mission 5 – Land a probe on The Mun! - Time to try a landing…without putting any Kerbals at risk - In the VAB, build a ship with o Probodobodyne OKTO o 4x OX-SAT Photovoltic Panels o 4x Z-100 Rechargeable Battery Pack o Small Inline Reaction Wheel o Communotron 16 o 2x 2HOT Thermometer o 2x PresMat Barometer o SC-9001 Science Jr. o 2x Mystery Goo Containment Unit o FL-T200 Fuel Tank o 4x LT-05 Micro Landing Strut o LV-909 “Terrier” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 0) o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 1) o 4x FL-T400 Fuel Tank o 4x AV-T1 Winglet o LV-45 “Swivel” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 2) o 2x TT-38K Radial Decoupler (Stage 4) o 2x BACC “Thumper” Solid Fuel Booster (Stage 5) o 2x Aerodynamic Nose Cone - Name/Save the ship and Launch - In Space Near The Mun o Observe Mystery Goo (12.2) o Log Pressure Data (25.2) o Log Temperature (16.8) - Landed on The Mun o Observe Materials Bay (49.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (16.8) o Log Pressure Data (33.6) o Log Temperature (22.4) - Return to KSC (Mission 176.0/202.6 Total Science) - In the R&D Facility unlock o Fuel Systems (90) o Landing (90) (22.6 Remaining) - The external fuel duct will help us design a return vehicle for a Minmus mission Mission 6 – Land a Kerbal on Minmus! (and Return) - Finally it’s time to go where no Kerbal has gone before - In the VAB, build a ship with o Mk1 Command Pod o Mk16 Parachute (Stage 0) o 2x Mystery Goo Containment Unit o 2x 2HOT Thermometer o 2x PresMat Barometer o Heat Shield (1.25m) o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 1) o FL-T100 Fuel Tank o LV-909 “Terrier” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 2) o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 3) o SC-9001 Science Jr. o 2x FL-T200 Fuel Tank (Beside the Science Jr.) o 4x Aerodynamic Nose Cone (Top and Bottom) o 2x FTX-2 External Fuel Duct (Fuel tanks to Terrier) o LV-909 “Terrier” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 4) o 4x LT-1 Landing Struts o TD-12 Decoupler (Stage 5) o 3x FL-T800 Fuel Tank o 4x AV-T1 Winglet o LV-45 “Swivel” Liquid Fuel Engine (Stage 6) o 4x TT-38K Radial Decoupler (Stage 6) o 4x BACC “Thumper” Solid Fuel Booster (Stage 7) o 4x Aerodynamic Nose Cone - Name/Save the ship and Launch - In Space Near Minmus o EVA Report (32.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (40.0) o Log Pressure Data (48.0) o Log Temperature (32.0) - Landed on Minmus o Crew Report (25.0) o EVA Report (40.0) o Take Surface Sample (150.0) o Observe Materials Bay (125.0) o Observe Mystery Goo (50.0) o Log Pressure Data (60.0) o Log Temperature (40.0) - Retreive Data from the Science Jr. - Decouple and Launch back to Kerbin - De-Orbit, Decouple and Parachute down - If you happen to land somewhere new, grab some extra science - Recover Vessel (37.5) (Mission 679.5/702.1 Total Science) This should be more than enough science to escape Kerbin’s SOI and go interplanetary!
  16. warrior606

KSP Loading... Breaking Ground Robotics

Is no one going to mention Stratzenblitz75's jets to orbit? Just figure out a way to launch it with a catapult and keep it oriented; it probably wouldn't work for atmospheric bodies, but maybe for something like Minmus...
  17. Jestersage

Breaking Ground... What will you build first?

Debating between a prop/helicopter, Altair with Athlete, or a transforming SSTO.
  18. Starwaster updated deadly reentry for 1.6 about 2 days ago : https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases And realheat most recent commit has a dll recompile for 1.6.1 : https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealHeat
  19. The_Cat_In_Space

Guess Who Will Reply Next?

Well then @Lo Var Lachland
  20. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm looking for a way to attach base modules. A while ago (couple years back) I was using the cables to attach my modules together, but...that system is now obsolete with the ports becoming legacy and gone. I see the hose/cable/pipe setup, but none offer the same function. MKS/USI had the FlexOTube, but apparently those are broken right now, so that's not going to work. So, I'm looking for an interim solution.
  21. I'm testing the solar cell sail on the launchpad, as it's not clear from the description how much charge it generates. The part window says it's generating power (3ish EC/s, I think just from the doors) but it doesn't actually seem to be counting; it should be enough to keep my probe core powered, but I'm still losing EC at the standard rate for the core. Edit: I just did a test with the sail upside down, and it does charge the craft now. But for some reason, when the doors are pointed up and the sail pointed down (and thus getting no sun), it reports a tiny amount of EC/s but never applies it AFAICT.
  22. AngrybobH

Nose Cone A v B

Ooops yeah thats what I meant
  23. StrandedonEarth

Nose Cone A v B

Always noticing new ways to use parts. But hey, as long as you’re putting an engine under it, you can put a small tank there too
  24. Gargamel

Nose Cone A v B

Type B, slanted, moves towards the core.
  25. AngrybobH

Nose Cone A v B

I always thought the B type was for engine mounts instead of SRB toppers. Well, thats how I usually use them. Like this I like the A type on radial boosters because the angle toward the ship is good for mounting sepratrons. I have never noticed the tendency of the type A to move toward the core. Good to know though.
  26. Vanamonde

Guess Who Will Reply Next?

Then again... @James Kerman.
  1. Load more activity