All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Please take the topic of planet size to a different thread as it is off topic for this one. I have made another thread dedicated to talks about planet size.
  3. I dont know why most of the people place wheels on rover vertically. like this while you have much better stability (and appearance) if you rotate them like this.. and i love the way how suspension works when accelerating and breaking. Breaking is shown on screen
  4. I wouldn't mind if loading speeds were faster, but I do hope they keep saves and craft files human readable, so we can fix glitches and errors, and have a little leeway with mistakes. One of the great things about KSP1 is how open and modifiable it was. A mod switches names? Maybe you need to strip a mod part for some reason? Just a find and replace and now those error causing gadgets are cubic struts. If they do compress these files, an included converter would be nice.
  5. Don't hold your breath. World size has ramifications all over, from how heavyweight the rocket parts need to be, to which airspeed is "reentry" and must be dangerous. You cannot move all of that to a bigger world and expect it to still work in the same way,or at all. Just BTW, I'm not convinced that a bigger world as such makes the game more difficult or tedious to play. But be that as it may, this ship has sailed (again).
  6. lets drop it, someone is trying to argue that he wants and is entitled to a free game, There's lots of Free games out there for him to play. unfortunately all of those "free to play" games have a catch in that most of them they really suck if you insist on them being free, and they have lots and lots of ways to get you to pay and pay and pay. Or its pokemon go. Wot for just one example?? Totally free to play! so long as you don't mind being stuck in a hell of a slow grind unless you pay them 14 a month oh and even if you do your stuck having to play teir 7s at best. and when that shuts down well your Left with memories because its ALWAYS ONLINE. oh and grinding up the tec trees in that game is loaded with crap tanks you have to grind through, or they can sell you tanks that even the developers have admitted are overpowered for cash. that is if you can avoid buying the crap tanks they also sell for cash....
  7. How to disable parts malfunctions? Because in the realities of the capabilities of KSP this is a completely superfluous function.
  8. Can actively cooled spacecraft armour replace the high-temperature radiator array? @MatterBeam
  9. I had this on my original ship launched from the KSC, when i loaded the vessel to dock the engine part it started rotating with the parts tilted. After that I tried with this one, cheated into orbit already docked and now everytime I load that vessel it's bugged, no amount of reloading solved the issue.
  10. Even though Vivero does now allow you to enable VR when you're in EVA, and the mod "Through the eyes of a KErbal" lets you play EVA in first person, I have experienced a compatibility issue with those two mods which causes the VR camera to not follow the Kerbal around when the Kerbal moves. It means that you can go in EVA, then switch to first-person view with "Through the eyes" (so far so good, at this point you can move the Kerbal around in forst person), then activate VR. Once youäve done that, you can look around in VR and it works. Howver as soon as the Kerbal's position changes (you make him move forward, by walking or using the jetpack) then the camera's position is no more updated. You have an out-of-body experience. It's caused by Vivero, which does not update the camera position somehow.
  11. Seems to work fine. I did have to mount a tank to the servo first, and then an adapter plate to the tank, and then the engines. Without the tank, the game seems to get confused about fuel flow - it still actually flows to the engines, but doesn't show up when you toggle the fuel flow display, and throws off the dV calculations. That's just from crossing the servo without a tank in place though, the rotation doesn't matter.
  12. Attach the Mk.2 parts to the mount or vice versa? Future Requests:
  13. I am so excited for KSP2 and I'll definitely try to get this mod working for it as soon as it is possible! And I definitely hope to see you guys there and perhaps even play the Multiplayer with you. I'll keep KKS updated for KSP1 as much as I can. If anyone experiences issues with it, let me know.
  14. Having implemented the n-body physics they can just have a switch in settings: "[x] Stay nice, take into account only current main reference body gravity" with a tip "By switching this off, you will make your orbits bad. Don't touch it." By switching it off, you become an experienced space wolf.
  15. Ah, that explains that Just wondering - how does the stock d-V calculator handle the rotating engines? Is there an issue with the calculation, or does it work fine, regardless how the engines are rotated?
  16. OMG. The puns, the PUNS!!! You can't park that rocket here! Do you have a license for that engine? There is a mandatory inspection sticker missing on the fins. Your rocket is overweight, that costs extra. P.S. Yes, I've also been screwed over by autocorrect myself. But I just couldn't resist.
  17. great, from the looks of it, its more than just a high resolution texture, rather a kind of multi layered texture which depend on the zoom scale. Do you have any insights what this is?
  18. @IncongruousGoat Thank you for the 1st contribution! I've merged your PR containing the Tylo lander craft. The line endings config also worked. Everyone please pull the latest version of the repo to pickup the changes.
  19. Hello @"Our Benefactors", I've moved your thread to add-on development. Please PM me or report the OP with a brief note when you are ready and we will move this thread to add-on releases.
  20. Gravity assists is a good point that is solidly in the 'plus' column, along with lagrange points. I can imagine 'casual+' players making use of those things. Wouldn't automated stationkeeping effectively be placing non-piloted craft 'on rails' anyways? I am not going to make an official comment either way - since doing things 'the easy way' can often prevent you from doing other things 'the easy way' and then you need to make a complex system over there instead. N-body is neat, but the implementation needs to be handled in such a way that a 9 year old can effectively build a ship and reach orbit, without failing for complex reasons.
  21. Today
  22. No. If you mean SCANsat mod, then remedy is easy. Don't use BV before you scan planet/moon for biomes.
  23. seriously though, i hope they take their time and optimize the hell out of this. almost wish i didnt know it was coming out. with what little we've been given thus far theres too much room to hope on speculation. tl;dr im anxious
  24. Part 3A: Airplanes, Tourism & AORCA II Last time on ASSET Mission Logs, the company had just completed its first orbital flight. After investing in upgrades to the Astronaut Complex and Mission Control facilities, finances were tight for a moment, and the orbital launch had to be paid for using advances on some rather mundane atmospheric survey contracts from other science companies. So now ASSET must follow through on those obligations, but this presents an opportunity for the company. The development of aircraft. In a recent interview, ASSET CEO Cashen Kerman was heard to remark, "I really do enjoy the things we're doing with vertically launched rockets, but I'm also very passionate about jet aircraft and atmospheric flight. We know from some high level calculations that it may be possible to build an aircraft using a combination of modern jet engines, coupled with high altitude rocket engines which could plausibly be developed in the near future, and achieve Kerbin orbit. Assuming a safe re-entry is also possible, this could mean a fully, 100% reusable orbital spacecraft." Such lofty future goals however must have humble beginnings. And so the company has unveiled the ARA 1, or ASSET Research Aircraft version 1. Capable of carrying three Kerbals, with one pilot and two passengers, ARA 1 is powered by a pair of rear-mounted Juno jet engines and carries the latest in science and research gear. Most notable is the Science Jr. Materials Testing unit towards the rear of the fuselage. It also comes with pressure and temperature measurement abilities for atmospheric analysis. The first task will be practice taxiing around the ASSET Aerospace Center, testing the aircraft's systems and science gear along the way. For this task, Bob Kerman, the resident scientist, is assisting Jebediah Kerman. Jeb will become familiar with the aircraft while Bob becomes adept with using the science equipment. Here Jeb has parked ARA on the Crawlerway between the VAB and launch pad, after driving the aircraft around the Aerospace Center for most of the morning. Everything seems to be progressing well and Bob is having good luck with using, and re-using the science instruments. Some issues in the aircraft's design come up, however. For one, getting in and out is a bit tricky at times, and also the rather flimsy landing gear don't have much promise for higher speed service. Just as feared. At the last stop of the Aerospace Center tour the aircraft strikes a bump a little bit too hard and destroys the rear landing gear. Here Bob has climbed out and is surveying the damage as ARA 1 lays on its belly near the Mission Control building. It will be dragged back to the Hangar for repairs, so the atmospheric testing will be put on hold until upgraded landing gear can be made available. Sometime later, more sturdy and retractable landing gear are fitted to ARA. This also, for the time being, solves the issues of difficulty getting back in the vehicle. There are no extendable ladders yet (something the R&D team is working on), but the aircraft can simply park and retract the gear on the ground, laying on its belly. Then, when the crew returns, they can raise the craft back up by lowering the gear. This appears to cause no adverse effects to the aircraft. In any case, there are atmospheric surveys to complete as part of the contracts accepted in the previous update! Takeoff goes smoothly along the dirt landing strip. Jeb reports that the flight characteristics are quite good and the aircraft is inherently stable and quite maneuverable. The twin Juno engines are not particularly powerful but for a craft of this size and weight they are more than adequate. The vehicle's initial cost was $14,100, but this rose to $15,550 with the landing gear upgrade. Here Jeb and Bill fly out over the ocean, near the islands to the southeast of the Aerospace Complex. The mission involves taking visual observations of atmospheric and oceanic conditions at three designated points and reporting them back to the client. The first two points are out over the water, the final one is in-land to the west of the complex. After completing the last observation, Jeb aims the craft back towards the Aerospace Center's dirt runway for a landing. Back on dry land, it's time to report the findings and collect payment. Financial Statement Item Amount Starting Funds $293,226 Hardware Costs -$29,650 Contract Completion Awards $40,937 Hardware Recovery Reimbursement $29,115 Final Funds $333,628 Science Earned: 378.3 In another ASSET developments, the Rocketry department has been hard at work since the previous two AORCA I flights. They've developed an incremental upgrade, the AORCA II capsule. Not much bigger than the initial capsule, and with not much extra in the way of functionality, it's simply just big enough to carry two Kerbals instead of one. "The one Kerbal capsule was really just a development step. We feel the ideal crew size for long duration missions is three - a pilot to fly it, an engineer to maintain it, and a scientist to do the science work. We're working on such a spacecraft for the near future but feel a two crew capsule, for a pilot and scientist, would be ideal for short duration missions near Kerbin while still accomplishing valuable science." However, reaction to ASSET's successes in space have generated interest in an entirely new and different way: Space Tourism. Yes, wealthy Kerbals are expressing interest in flying into space themselves, and apparently are willing to pay top dollar to do it! "Obviously we welcome the revenue, and obviously we inform the customers that there is significant risk that they must accept. These are still development missions. So we decided to run the first few AORCA II flights as single crew missions, to get some orbital flight practice, and essentially have a paying customer in the second seat. It's a win win win. They get the right of a lifetime, we get the mission paid for, and get some valuable flight experience for our pilots." The first flight of AORCA II, the second orbital flight, and the first carrying a tourist, will be flown by ASSET's female pilot, Valentina Kerman. Valentina is the more extroverted of the pilots and has expressed interest in being something of a space tour guide, and so she will feature prominently in many of the tourism missions, at least for now. The launch vehicle is extremely simple. The Thumper solid rocket first stage returns, but a new, more efficient upper stage engine, the LV-909 "Terrier", has enabled a reduction in size of the second stage from the AORCA I mission. "The first tourist flight we included a Mystery Goo to grab a quick sample, as we had accepted a contract to recover some scientific data from space and decided to do that on this mission in parallel. This vehicle cost $6,847. We omitted it from the second launch, so that one was only $6,047." Flying as the first ever Kerbal Space Tourist on this flight is Sanrim Kerman. The powerful Thumper booster carries the spacecraft high into the air over the Aerospace Center. Later, the upper stage and the LV-909 will carry it the rest of the way to a successful orbit. Orbit achieved. Valentina tries her best to explain orbital mechanics to Sanrim, but he is just too busy looking out the window at the amazing views. Capsule re-entry takes place over the large desert area to the far west of the Aerospace Center. The capsules are, of course, designed to land either on water or solid ground just fine. The first tourist mission is a success! Next up, some time later, is Gwenlo Kerman, who will be given an orbital tour this time by Jeb, as these flights took place in quick succession. Here Jeb and Gwenlo are ascending to orbit on the second stage. ASSET is getting more and more comfortable with liquid propellants. Solids are still cheaper, but it's hard to argue with the operational flexibility of a liquid rocket. Jeb and Gwenlo in orbit. Each tourist got a few orbits for their money. Well worth it, according to post-flight reviews! The second mission de-orbits and comes down in a grassy plain near some mountains at night. The successful flight of a pair of tourists makes headlines across Kerbin. Suddenly space is attainable to anyone with the funds to pay for it, it seems! "The whole space tourism thing is nice. But it's important to stay focused on the goal of science and technology development. This is just a way to pay the bills." Financial Statement Item Amount Starting Funds $333,628 Contract Advances $7,575 Hardware Costs -$12,894 Contract Completion Awards $84,440 Hardware Recovery Reimbursement $3,037 Final Funds $415,786 Science Earned: 25
  25. I personally would prefer if they crew would get a decent Christmas break, and slip the release date if necessary, but I agree that your solution is the more likely one.
  1. Load more activity