Here i would like to give feedback about some things i like and dont like after the first 2 hours of gameplay, as well as my personal performance
my computer specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
i dont know a lot about the different CPU and GPU types and how good they are compared to each other but this is what i have. i turned most graphics settings to low so they are not on their default values. I tested different situations using a 100 part rocket (using a variety of parts to represent a realistic scenario of something that players might build).
launching at KSC daytime: 8 fps... (higher when looking at the sky, lower when looking at the ground)
launching at KSC nighttime: 15 fps (same thing applies)
orbiting kerbin: 20 fps (higher when looking at space, lower when looking at kerbin)
VAB: 45 fps
orbiting sun: 60 fps
it seems like launching is the most laggy part, which is to be expected. it is definetely a low fps, but at least it is not regularly freezing and stuttering which i honestly find more annoying. i started playing ksp 1 on my laptop which was about the same performance so for me personally i think this is playable, even if not great. also interesting how fps doubles when launching at nighttime. i am probably going to be doing a lot of night launches then...
now some great things i found so far:
* the sound design, it is ABSOLUTELY AMASING!
* the redesigns of the various objects! i love that most places which were less interesting in ksp 1 have gotten their own unique things. rings on dres (one of my first interplanetary missions is definetely going to looking at them up close), as well as the canyon making a return, but now there are 2 of them! also the giant crater on bop, interesting looking ravine on vall, mountain on eve and many other things. i also wonder whether the mohole is still there
* the new parts. there are only a few, but they seem great. the new nuclear engine, the hydrogen fuel, the nuclear reactor, the big landing gear, the medium rover wheels, rover cockpit and more!
* planetary visuals. i sadly had to turn them down for performance but they still look great!
* flight UI. it will certainly take some getting used to as an experienced player, but it seems to be an improvement overall!
* introductory video (and tutorial animations, though i saw those on youtube rather than in game). some people seem to dislike the voice but i think its pretty cool. and to people saying it is childish, "cartoon" does not equal "for kids"
* load times are much better
some slightly less great things (i know its early access):
* performance. for me its playable, but not great, and other people might not consider 8-20 fps to be in the playable range. i would also like to be able to turn clouds back on
* visuals on the ships. this is more a mediocre thing rather than a real bad thing, but i think the visuals of the ships are a bit overdone. i think i prefer the old style look a bit more but that is mostly personal preference. personally i think somewhere in the middle is what i would want.
* part manager. it is good that it is an option like that, but i do prefer the system where you click on a part and it gives you that specific part's options right next to it. even more so in the VAB. why not have both as an option?
* fairings... like WHAT IS THIS SYSTEM? the one in ksp 1 worked perfectly and this is such a downgrade. if i have any number one complaint other than performance it is definetely whatever this is
* likely a bug, or me doing something wrong, but i cant seem to manually control the rocket using engine gimbal, wing flaps or reaction wheels. RCS works and SAS can use all of them just fine, but my wasdqe keyboard input does nothing... (ok while i was typing i reloaded and that seemed to fix it...)
* game launcher. why when i click the shortcut on my computer does it start a launcher where i have to click another button to start the game. when i click KSP 2 on my computer i expect it to start KSP 2 like it did with KSP 1
* kerbal manager in VAB. it doesnt work great. when i recovered Bob from my first flight he did not appear back in the list and valentina is just not showing up entirely.
* VAB background audio. the game has great sound and the VAB UI and construction too. it is very satisfying. But i would like the happy construction music from ksp 1 to be there too. it makes it feel more welcoming and like home where as this random beeping sound really does not do that. also there is an incredibly annoying whistle...
so there is what i hope is pretty good constructive feedback from my first 2 hours of gameplay and i hope this is usefull in some way. as i play the game more i will surely find more good and bad things so i will probably make more of these kind of posts in future if they are helpful. now if you will excuse me? i have a mun lander to build