New IVAs for 1.0

frizzank

Beautiful IVAs Frizzank!

Only one thing:

r3MrTC4.jpg

Maybe it's just me but making the cockpit instruments like this make the cockpit looks like it's made of panels of 2cm, if you look near the window you can see that basically it seems that istruments were just glued on an empty cockpit just to fill space (it seems like this only in the front section, the other part looks amazing)

Maybe it's just me but making the cockpit instruments like this make the cockpit looks like it's made of panels of 2cm, if you look near the window you can see that basically it seems that istruments were just glued on an empty cockpit just to fill space (it seems like this only in the front section, the other part looks amazing)

I can see what you mean, but i don't agree ! I do not think that it looks like it's made of 2cm panels. If you look at the interior af an airliner cockpit it will look exactly the same way. That's how you build a cockpit anyway : you build the structure first and then add instrument panels :)

I can see what you mean, but i don't agree ! I do not think that it looks like it's made of 2cm panels. If you look at the interior af an airliner cockpit it will look exactly the same way. That's how you build a cockpit anyway : you build the structure first and then add instrument panels :)

I know but actually the solution is really easy, he can simply "lift" a little bit the instrumentation and it will make the job. (It's beautiful anyway if it isn't clear :sticktongue: )

EDIT: STSCPanel.jpg

Maybe with an example pic i will be more clear, look at the real cockpit of STS and look at the KSP one, the difference is that one look "heavy", the other one that is very lightweight made of thin foil of steel

Mk3 Passenger Module

Flight Attendant: "In the event of an emergency, parachutes and life jackets are under your seats. Emergency exits are at the front and rear of the aircraft, and up that ladder in the ceiling"

Passenger #0003: "And how would we get up there?"

Flight Attendant: "Erm... That's a good point. You're the first kerbal to think of that. Does anyone have any ideas?"

Passenger #0007: "Using my grappling hook?"

Passenger #0003: "That looks more like a pen to me."

Passenger #0007: "You're forgetting, I'm special agent Kirrim. This is not just a pen."

Okay, okay, I got distracted, but I like the very kerbal hatch in the ceiling.

Yes, but where's all the science supposed to happen? On the floor? On the bench? Only in that little fume cabinet looking thing? Not a convincing science lab, far too empty.

Does it need to be that big and heavy if the only important things it contains are a few cupboards?

I guess there are instruments hidden on those panels? Trying to make the lab like the science stations on the ISS, with lots of wires and tools, would probably add too many polygons to the model, causing undesirable lag. The IVA models must have tight constraints, since they're part of the scene during flight.

I guess there are instruments hidden on those panels? Trying to make the lab like the science stations on the ISS, with lots of wires and tools, would probably add too many polygons to the model, causing undesirable lag. The IVA models must have tight constraints, since they're part of the scene during flight.

True, it needn't be as cluttered as the real life labs. But the large cockpits don't look to constrained, so polygon limits mustn't be too small. Going all out modeling many different components would be excessive, but like in those other IVAs, using a few repeated elements would let you achieve a lot. There are already buttons, computer screens, and various dials that could be used to make it look more lab-like.

Worse than the lack of instruments is the lack of workstation like areas. Even if everything is packed away(borring), there's not a lot of space to put equipment, apart from on floors, that narrow bench. Plus, it would've been nice to see some attempt to design it for both vertical and horizontal orientations.

Edited by Tw1

The lab seems to have some influence from the American Skylab module, which had a similar vertical orientation since it was a converted Saturn fuel tank. I'm just guessing, but that's what it reminds me of. I agree though that the vertical orientation might be troubling for people that orient surface base modules with the IVA's in mind. I always land my Hitchhiker pods vertically for this reason. Who knows, maybe in a future update Squad will have some parts with surface habitation in mind.

That lab is awesome though Frizzank. You know what the Mk3 cockpit needs?? Velcro all over everything! ha ha ha. Just kidding.

EDIT: I just noticed the Mk3 Crew Cabin has seat numbering over each row, lol...for those space tourism contracts no doubt, you need the Kerbals to sit in their assigned seats. Ha ha.

EDIT 2: My bad, the Mk3 Cockpit DOES have Velcro tabs all over the panels, how did I miss that?

Edited by Raptor9

I don't know why, but I get this feeling that all of these parts are bigger on the inside than on the outside - when compared to a Kerbal standing next to a ship, for instance...

I agree. If the externals don't match the internals, they should scale up the externals, IMO, as the internals look ok size wise.

I agree. If the externals don't match the internals, they should scale up the externals, IMO, as the internals look ok size wise.

Kerbals are smaller than they look, because their helmets are gigantic. The wiki says their height is around 0.75 m, which seems reasonable. As kerbal bodies are wider than ours, a 2.5 m kerbal part should be roughly 5 m wide in our scale. This makes the Mk3 crew cabin comparable to our wide-body airliners, which seat 6-7 passengers in a row in business class, or around 10 passengers in tourist class.

Given the timing, I take it that these new IVAs were the 32mb recent additions to the QA builds. I'm all for IVAs, but KSP is getting larger and larger. 32mb might make an actual difference for windows users.

Great job!

But I have only one question...

Why does it say "Life Support" on the compartment in the Mk1 Cockpit? Is that for mods, or are we getting life support? Or is it just for show?

Considering the fact that the Mk1 cockpit IVA (not the new inline one) has had a "Life Support" panel for quite some time, it's probably just an eye candy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.