The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

I switched the crew between the two vessels, as Jannie Kerman originally signed up for circumnavigation. I then timewarped through the night...

w9fHLhq.png

And what has happened here? :huh:

P3L9PJR.png

Whoah, Nellie! :0.0:

Hi fellow explorers

I'm attempting the circumnavigation of Vall by the poles.

relevant mods:

* Mechjeb (to press on the damn forward key)

* Wheels from Kerbal Foundries

* B9 for the SAS

* FAR for the added fun launching from Kerbin

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/9X0MK"><a href="//imgur.com/a/9X0MK">Going Around Vall by the poles</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you started your mission report thread, let me know where it is.

Woohoo good news everyone, i found a backup of my 0.90 game and can continue my elcano challenge, currently at the north pole, Jet ATV has just been refueled.

No bloody way am i going to attempt this in 1.0.2 with the ground collision bug being worse than ever before. that and im already 1/4 of the way :P

Q8ovAh4.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

I have a basic 1.02 related question for this challenge... I have not gotten as far as to try out mining. So: Is refuelling through mining possible on Kerbin (=are there abundant ore deposits around)? That would open up some very interesting possibilities for the circumnavigation :) .

I have a basic 1.02 related question for this challenge... I have not gotten as far as to try out mining. So: Is refuelling through mining possible on Kerbin (=are there abundant ore deposits around)? That would open up some very interesting possibilities for the circumnavigation :) .

Yes... it is. And perfectly within the scope of the challenge. I used Karbonite to run generators on my circumnavigation.

Okay, stupid question... How do I "apply" for this?

Because the Mun-ster Truck is corrently on it's way...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120117-First-Challenge-Ever-Taken-Munar-Ground-Based-Circumnavigation?p=1917960

I'm marking my journey with flags every ~10km (or whatever I come up with, probably longer than 10km), and use MechJeb's Waypoints to see when I reach 10km (for some reason, I can't target the flag :()... Is that okay?

Edited by cy-one

Okay, stupid question... How do I "apply" for this?

Because the Mun-ster Truck is corrently on it's way...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120117-First-Challenge-Ever-Taken-Munar-Ground-Based-Circumnavigation?p=1917960

I'm marking my journey with flags every ~10km (or whatever I come up with, probably longer than 10km), and use MechJeb's Waypoints to see when I reach 10km (for some reason, I can't target the flag :()... Is that okay?

You just did. Welcome to the challenge and good luck changing those tires should you have a flat. While everyone may think the Mun is an easy go-around, they quickly forget just how huge, and steep those craters are. Good luck and I'll have a Mun badge for you should you succeed.

And you don't have to worry about flags till you stop for the day, and even then, they're more to help everyone see where you've been. Some of my flags were... oh... 500+ km apart.

Edited by Fengist

To Pol!

So far, I've designed (and tested, thanks, Hyperedit) a rover, and got it and the interplanetary transfer stage into orbit. You can see my mission report here. I'm going all stock, too!

Edited by Sutternalt

To Pol!

So far, I've designed (and tested, thanks, Hyperedit) a rover, and got it and the interplanetary transfer stage into orbit. You can see my mission report here. I'm going all stock, too!

Added you to the list of contenders. Good luck fixing your flat tires.

I'm throwing my name into the mix! I'm doing a Kerbin circumnavigation, a sightseeing tour. I'm going to be using a long-haul truck and am tuning it up as we speak. I think I'm likely going to do a couple of little videos to show how I'm doing, and will definitely make a mission report and post my craft in the Spacecraft Exchange when the challenge is done.

I plan on visiting KSC 2, the big crater thingy, and all anomalies on the Kerbin landmasses except for one at -28.8083, -13.4401 on this Map. I won't be going over the sea, so I'm using the northern ice cap to do my circumnavigating.

Fengist, sign me up for another challenge: The Eeloo Circumnavigation. Being inspired by the probe shooting past Pluto in a few months, I decided what better way to celebrate by making a base on Eeloo, and of course driving around it for craps and giggles. Expect more updates on this soon.

I'm throwing my name into the mix!
Fengist, sign me up for another challenge:

Glad to hear it guys. Let me know when you get your mission report up and going and I'll add you to the list of contenders on the front page...

Ooh, and one more thing. I'm using all stock parts, except for my wheels which I am modifying the values of to make them tougher. I'm not sure if that disqualifies me for stock but I'll do it anyway, just to make sure I can have wheels that will survive the rigors of the journey without breaking so much.

Ooh, and one more thing. I'm using all stock parts, except for my wheels which I am modifying the values of to make them tougher. I'm not sure if that disqualifies me for stock but I'll do it anyway, just to make sure I can have wheels that will survive the rigors of the journey without breaking so much.

Mod is a mod, even if you make it yourself :)

Considering the fact that stock wheels are about the only wheels out there that do break, I have no problem with it. Now, you tell me your wheels can teleport you and we'll have a chat.

Again, I say, everyone assumes this to be a boring challenge. If your beginning is any indication of what's yet to come, it should prove most... entertaining.

Considering the fact that stock wheels are about the only wheels out there that do break, I have no problem with it. Now, you tell me your wheels can teleport you and we'll have a chat.

Hah, if I could mod warping wheels that would be incredible! Back to the Future, anybody?

Again' date=' I say, everyone assumes this to be a boring challenge. If your beginning is any indication of what's yet to come, it should prove most... entertaining.[/quote']

Well, that was a glitch... I'm honestly expecting to use at least a single backup vehicle being required, but I'll definitely try to keep things entertaining if it's not up to par. We'll see! :D

Part two of my mission to Pol is up. You can read it here.

Okay, that took way too long to get there. And most of my struggle wasn't even with orbital dynamics; it was just Kerbal Space Program itself. But it was nice to finally get there, at any rate.