The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

I was planning on driving around Dres, but decided to go with Mun first on a whim. Here is where I'll be posting all my updates.

I'm using a kOS script to do the driving and am at about 40 km after the first day (which also included doing the launch+transfer+landing). I'm starting and ending at the Neil Armstrong memorial, and getting out of that crater was at some times kind of terrifying. There's a very deep canyon with very steep walls that I almost told the rover to drive into.

Edit: Day 2 is uploaded as well. Made it to the northern tip of the East Crater in one day. I don't know the total driving distance unfortunately, but I did well over 100km today.

Edited by magico13

First Eeloo C-Nav? Wow. That is certainly something. I mean, the distance you have to travel! That is just astonishing! Great work!

Oh and P.S, don't mean to be rude n all but could you add me to the Gilly C-Nav list? Sorry to be a bother and all.

Edited by ryan234abc
P.S

can we use hyperedit to land/send a vehicle to the desired planet? i am thinking of doing this challenge

You can use it, but not on the attempt you present for the challenge award. I used it on several test and practice runs, but not on my final one which completed the circumnavigation and was presented for the award.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's it.

After much delay and me completely missing it....

A warm welcome to nigelvn to the most exclusive list of circumnavigators in KSP. Congrats on your circumnavigation Eloo, your badge is posted.

Thanks Fengist, by the way, do you know you misspelled Eeloo? :P

Is anyone else having problems with their craft slowly becoming laggier and laggier?

I'm at about 40 degrees north right now, the craft has about two days on the mission timer.

It's infuriating, I can hardly progress, because the lowered framerate is eating into my reaction time to correct for terrain deviations and other mishaps.

Thanks Fengist, by the way, do you know you misspelled Eeloo? :P

My list of possible excuses are thus:

• Vowel specific dyslexia
  • Dirty bifocals
  • I spelled it correctly. Who the hell puts 2 E's in the beginning of a word that only needs one?

Doh. Fixed. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

You can use it, but not on the attempt you present for the challenge award. I used it on several test and practice runs, but not on my final one which completed the circumnavigation and was presented for the award.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's it.

Ryan is correct Kookoo... you may use hyperedit for testing as much as you wish. Once your circumnavigation begins... which begins with the launch pad in many cases... you cannot use it.

Also, I was just made aware of another mod coming out that will supposedly move boats across water at their maximum speed while you're off doing other things. You set the destination and it goes. It too will be disallowed. Mods like Mechjeb or, my solution, Autohotkey, which hold down the 'W' key for you are fine. Leaving the keyboard for brief periods while the 'cruise control' is active is fine as long as your ability to wreck/crash isn't thwarted. I haven't played with the scripting mod but I'm assuming it just navigates and doesn't make you invulnerable while doing so.

I say again, it's about the journey, not the destination. Anything that eliminates portions of or makes the journey less dangerous, should not be considered. No risk, no reward. And to be honest, Kerbal join reinforcement makes my skin itch but for now... I'm turning a blind eye.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't seem to be in the Mun list yet, I'm afraid.

You are now! And I thought the rover I made for Eve was big. I stand humbled. Welcome to the exclusive list of true circumnavigators. My apologies for the delay in this recognition.

Ok, a brief explanation. As I mentioned previously, modding is absorbing a lot of my free time these days. I do check most of my subscribed links every day or two and this thread is definitely one of them. But, when I pop into this thread, it's usually a quick scan. Periodically, unique solutions will grab my attention for a brief time and when I do come to actually update, I take the time to read the progress being made a bit more in-depth. So, with that explanation offered, if you complete a circumnavigation and I miss it. BIG BOLD LETTERS, will usually grab my attention when I come to scan. Otherwise, you may be waiting for my 'update' visit.

Trust me, I just sent a huge WOT message to someone describing exactly why this challenge exists: Because in KSP, once you reach your final destination you suddenly realize, there's nothing left to do. It's all about the journey getting there.

While I may not get around to it as quickly as I should, I will maintain this challenge for as long as you guys wish to keep driving in circles.

That, and one of the reasons I really started modding, I had a dream of sailing around Kerbin... yes, sails. And one day, I just might do that and I'd like to have a place to put it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone else having problems with their craft slowly becoming laggier and laggier?

I'm at about 40 degrees north right now, the craft has about two days on the mission timer.

It's infuriating, I can hardly progress, because the lowered framerate is eating into my reaction time to correct for terrain deviations and other mishaps.

alt-f12.

Anything in the debug log?

Also, I've gone back pages to see if there's anyone I've missed. I also corrected some goofs on the completion list but not sure if I chopped someone out.

If you should be on the list, please check. If you are not, please say so and I'll get you added. I think... it's caught up.

Edited by Fengist

Hm, I'm willing to endure the long burns of nuke engines, that would certainly be a good one. For this one, I think maybe I'll do Dres. Haven't decided 100% for sure.

Edit: Or maybe Ike. I also thought about going hardcore and doing Tylo, buuuuutttt.......

Edit2: Or maybe Pol, I have some ideas for mountaineering.

Edited by smjjames

Thnx for adding me. Just an idea, but to add a little extra flare to the challenge, you could do special commendations for going above and beyond in a challenge e.g No repairs allowed, or no parts damaged etc? If you have any other challenges, I'd really like to have a go. You could start another challenge. The Elcano was a great idea, and I'd love to see more, that's all.

Thnx for adding me. Just an idea, but to add a little extra flare to the challenge, you could do special commendations for going above and beyond in a challenge e.g No repairs allowed, or no parts damaged etc? If you have any other challenges, I'd really like to have a go. You could start another challenge. The Elcano was a great idea, and I'd love to see more, that's all.

Newcomer! I mean, me. I want to try this challenge.

Before starting.. would any of you have any recommendations? Should I, uhm, place some markers beforehand so I have a better idea of where to go during my trip.. like checkpoints. What errors should I avoid when planning and building my rover? etc.

I think I'll start with Minmus.. after that I'll try on the Mun. And finally, Kerbin. Then who knows, I might try to circumnavigate other planets and moons as well, we'll see :rolleyes:

Before starting.. would any of you have any recommendations? Should I, uhm, place some markers beforehand so I have a better idea of where to go during my trip.. like checkpoints. What errors should I avoid when planning and building my rover? etc.

I think I'll start with Minmus.. after that I'll try on the Mun. And finally, Kerbin. Then who knows, I might try to circumnavigate other planets and moons as well, we'll see :rolleyes:

I personally would recommend using either KER (if you're open to mods) or surface scanning module (stock part) to detect your coordinates on the surface. This way, you can define any starting point you wish, plant a flag there if you like, then all you have to do is flag the antipode and come back the other way around. Another simple way would be start point - pole - other pole - start point (or any two antipodes for that matter).

Doing this method ensures that no matter what route you take between your target points, you will by definition have travelled at least the full circumference of the body you're on, so you're free to drive around obstacles, or drive right up to obstacles if you want to take them on, as you choose.

Of course there are other methods to prove circumnavigation but taking this method should make the distance travelled indisputable.

Any penalties for driving more than needed?

The rules state that you should follow an equatorial or pole-to-pole route, without diverging too much. But what if I want to.. zig zag a bit? And see some landmarks. And still travel through the antipode, more or less. Can I do that?

The rules state that you should follow an equatorial or pole-to-pole route, without diverging too much. But what if I want to.. zig zag a bit? And see some landmarks. And still travel through the antipode, more or less. Can I do that?

Sounds fine. The purpose of that rule is to keep people from driving up to the pole, driving in a circle then driving back to their starting point and claiming it a circumnavigation.

- - - Updated - - -

My only suggestions are thus:

1. Don't quicksave while moving. In my circumnavigation and others have had this issue, parts become misaligned. Once they do, they don't tend to go back where they belong.

2. Take a look at scansat. The BTDT scanner helped me track my progress and alerted me to any upcoming inclines.

I frankly assumed the opposite, that there's more glory in the longer, harder route, and that seeing the sights was the whole point. :)

Oh, I see.

Well, guess I'll take a rocket and go plan some possible routes on Minmus.

EDIT: I'm going 100% stock, for anyone wondering. Well, I'll let you know when I'll start :wink:

Edited by KN_Namida

Part seven of my Kerbin Elcano is up, featuring more exciting mountaineering exploits! Climbing rough terrain is always the hardest part of driving but also the most interesting, especially when you don't know if you can even get back down! As always link in my sig.

Fengist,

I finished my Minmus run a couple weeks back, I have no idea if you've even seen it; I posted completion but I think it keeps getting buried. Mostly I'd like to make sure I'm doing everything kosher with my challenge since I'm going to be doing so much.

Part seven of my Kerbin Elcano is up, featuring more exciting mountaineering exploits! Climbing rough terrain is always the hardest part of driving but also the most interesting, especially when you don't know if you can even get back down! As always link in my sig.

Fengist,

I finished my Minmus run a couple weeks back, I have no idea if you've even seen it; I posted completion but I think it keeps getting buried. Mostly I'd like to make sure I'm doing everything kosher with my challenge since I'm going to be doing so much.

BOLD! You have my attention.

And yep, it appears it got buried and that's exactly why I asked everyone to check. I looked over your run and...

Welcome circumnavigator. If you are truly attempting every orbital body... I will create a unique badge just for you should you complete such. Good luck and I hope you have plenty of coffee. You'll need it when you reach Eve.