The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

I made a craft, basically MK3 parts and massive Rover wheels, on board I have a refuelling system with ore...

Under the craft I have some air intakes and on the back is a ton of the inline RCS blocks which I use to travel across water,

I mainly use it to travel to the other KSP base east of KSC,

but I took it to Laythe (really hard) and traveled from pole to pole, but only once and no flags, but I ain't doing it again..

Edit: Earlier version had wings and a set of landing gear, but landing and taking off was annoying...

Claw, the Ike badge is finally up and I've got you added as first on the list. Congrats again, it's now official.

Thanks Fengist. :)

My Joolian adventure is on hold for the time being. Hopefully that'll change in the next couple weeks.

Cheers!

~Claw

No i didnt use them, i actually dont know why i have the camera mod installed, and i need to uninstall it.... I definitely would not use hyperedit for something like this, thats for testing stuff.

Sorry to be a pain, and i guess it is really up to you, as there are no real rules determining mods vs stock.

FENGIST, this is my Elcano Circumnavigation tank, which weighs ~900 tonnes and i want to get it to Minmus, but i can not do it without hyperedit, so I am requesting permission to use hyperedit to land this machine on Minmus. After all, it is still not breaking the spirit of this challenge, as i belive that if successful, my entry will be the heaviest entry so far!xzdjgzn.png

FENGIST, this is my Elcano Circumnavigation tank, which weighs ~900 tonnes and i want to get it to Minmus, but i can not do it without hyperedit, so I am requesting permission to use hyperedit to land this machine on Minmus. After all, it is still not breaking the spirit of this challenge, as i belive that if successful, my entry will be the heaviest entry so far!http://i.imgur.com/xzdjgzn.png

Ummm nope. Sorry. I've not allowed anyone yet to use it so I won't start now. Remember, it's about the journey, not the destination. You can get it there the old fashioned way.

- - - Updated - - -

That does lead me to ask: how is dropping a mining op somewhere and building a craft in situ viewed? or taking an equvalent tonnage of rocketparts and using that to print a vehicle.

Be more specific. What mods are you referring to?

Ummm nope. Sorry. I've not allowed anyone yet to use it so I won't start now. Remember, it's about the journey, not the destination. You can get it there the old fashioned way.

- - - Updated - - -

Well.... Great....how will i get that tank to minmus? It'sNINE HUNDRED TONNES! Let that sink in for a while.

As for your second question, i belive that Van Disaster is talking about Extraplanetary launchpads.

Fengist,

Here's my Laythe entry. Stock KSP (meaning no mods whatsoever), obviously another water circumnavigation. This is basically a modified version of the vessel I used for Kerbin. Yes, still using the MK3 layout, which cost a lot of money to fling out to Laythe.

I made some changes to the Kerbin craft (which was Amphib2 I think). This one I called Amphib3c. I added some electric generation, now have 6 RTGs instead of 2, and I added a Fuel Cell Array. I put a lot of the little bits inside the cargo bay, and lowered the mount for the drill (not enough apparently). Biggest change was the configuration of the 'pontoons' and wheels. I lowered the pontoons significantly to get a performance increase. That also required widening the pontoons significantly to prevent tipping over. I also ditched the rover wheels for aircraft wheels. I miss the rover wheels, but the aircraft wheels have two advantages. First, they are a lot less draggy, so there is an efficiency bonus. Second, they don't break as easily as the rover wheels.

Oh, the other big change is the addition rocket engines. Big ones.

Fengist, I have a couple of qualification questions:

1. I'm using wings, so need a ruling regarding those I guess. This thing still won't fly at all, I'm using the wing sections instead of modular girders because they 'look cooler'. I still have the 'rudder' mounted on the back too, but you already said that wasn't a problem.

2. I had to deviate from the equator of Laythe quite a ways. I just wasn't able to get the range needed for the long section of water (about 1125km) on one side of Laythe. I didn't feel too bad about it because the Kerbin circumnavigation also requires some pretty big deviations from the equator, but this is up to you of course.

3. Finally, a redo of Kerbin is probably up next. If I'm going for Master Mariner, am I allowed to cross the land bridge? Or is it required to not cross that section? I'm asking this because I'd prefer to start and finish at KSC, if that is allowed.

Anyway, here it is. The route map is located near the end. There's some notes on the Imgur album for those who are interested.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Fengist,

Here's my Laythe entry. Stock KSP (meaning no mods whatsoever), obviously another water circumnavigation. This is basically a modified version of the vessel I used for Kerbin. Yes, still using the MK3 layout, which cost a lot of money to fling out to Laythe.

I'll check it when I do the next update.

1. I'm using wings, so need a ruling regarding those I guess. This thing still won't fly at all, I'm using the wing sections instead of modular girders because they 'look cooler'. I still have the 'rudder' mounted on the back too, but you already said that wasn't a problem.

2. I had to deviate from the equator of Laythe quite a ways. I just wasn't able to get the range needed for the long section of water (about 1125km) on one side of Laythe. I didn't feel too bad about it because the Kerbin circumnavigation also requires some pretty big deviations from the equator, but this is up to you of course.

3. Finally, a redo of Kerbin is probably up next. If I'm going for Master Mariner, am I allowed to cross the land bridge? Or is it required to not cross that section? I'm asking this because I'd prefer to start and finish at KSC, if that is allowed.

Anyway, here it is. The route map is located near the end. There's some notes on the Imgur album for those who are interested.

http://imgur.com/a/gUrs5

1. As long as you don't fly.

2. Deviations are fine.

3. For Master Mariner ONLY... you are not required to cross it. But, not crossing the land bridge does not count as a circumnavigation by itself. If you do a full circumnavigation, you are qualified for both.

Edited by Fengist

nigelvn - Master Mariner - Wow bud, just the image of all those parachutes lagged my machine. My sincere congratulations on achieving Master Mariner. You have earned the fear of every barnacle and a place of honor amongst your fellow circumnavigators. Well done.

Thanks haha

now let's see if I can manage to do another circumnavigation in sticky Octobre XD

btw, I have got one stupid plan for when 1.1 comes out, not 1.05, but 1.1

Well.... Great....how will i get that tank to minmus? It'sNINE HUNDRED TONNES! Let that sink in for a while.

Moar boosters!

As for your second question, i belive that Van Disaster is talking about Extraplanetary launchpads.

I'm assuming so but I'll wait and see what he says.

It's totally possible. This particular ship carried a 925t payload to orbit. It would need a refuel in LKO to get to Minmus, but would land with excess dV and extra payload space for landing gear (etc) for an 860t tank. (I put MJ on there so you can see the vessel stats. ~1200t in LKO.)

Granted, you'd have to get creative with attaching engines... But you can do it! :D

~Claw

FENGIST, this is my Elcano Circumnavigation tank, which weighs ~900 tonnes and i want to get it to Minmus, but i can not do it without hyperedit, so I am requesting permission to use hyperedit to land this machine on Minmus. After all, it is still not breaking the spirit of this challenge, as i belive that if successful, my entry will be the heaviest entry so far!http://i.imgur.com/xzdjgzn.png

I suggest using one of the two (two!) working Project Orion mods we currently have and/or Necrobones's Space-Y pack which has some pleasantly huge rocket parts in.

As others inferred I was referring to Extraplanetary Launchpads. The logistics of building a rover on site would involve scanning the planet, finding a site suitable for starting the trip from that was *also* suitable for mining if you didn't send enough resources along, sending a bunch of Kerbal engineers to man a survey station, and obviously sending the survey station as part of a lander along with either any mining gear - which would include more Kerbals to man a workshop, and the actual workshop - or a large bucket of "rocketparts", which is the resource EPL builds vehicles from. Probably more work than sending an actual rover, but far more conveniently shaped work.

Or well, you can send some parts along with a lander and print a mining op on the spot, which is the sensible way - but you still need a lot of Kerbals along and all their support system whatever you do.

Mun example:

Edited by Van Disaster

As others inferred I was referring to Extraplanetary Launchpads. The logistics of building a rover on site would involve scanning the planet, finding a site suitable for starting the trip from that was *also* suitable for mining if you didn't send enough resources along, sending a bunch of Kerbal engineers to man a survey station, and obviously sending the survey station as part of a lander along with either any mining gear - which would include more Kerbals to man a workshop, and the actual workshop - or a large bucket of "rocketparts", which is the resource EPL builds vehicles from. Probably more work than sending an actual rover, but far more conveniently shaped work.

Or well, you can send some parts along with a lander and print a mining op on the spot, which is the sensible way - but you still need a lot of Kerbals along and all their support system whatever you do.

Mun example:

http://imgur.com/a/VBKzY

Sounds like an adventure. Go for it.

I took your shout for a challenge.

12 S1 SRB-KD25k,5 Kerbodyne S3-14400, 5 Kerbodyne KR-2L+ and 4 decouplers, all at scale 5 meters plus 4 Delta-Deluxe Winglet at 400% (and a boatload of struts) will bring your tank into orbit. The complete rocket weighed over 14330 tons and had a pricetag of more than 2,000,000.

With it i've launched a 906 ton testload (5 Kerbodyne S3-14400 at 5m with resources blocked) into an orbit around Kerbin.

At the top a mk2 Lander can.

screenshot580.png

I took your shout for a challenge.

12 S1 SRB-KD25k,5 Kerbodyne S3-14400, 5 Kerbodyne KR-2L+ and 4 decouplers, all at scale 5 meters plus 4 Delta-Deluxe Winglet at 400% (and a boatload of struts) will bring your tank into orbit. The complete rocket weighed over 14330 tons and had a pricetag of more than 2,000,000.

With it i've launched a 906 ton testload (5 Kerbodyne S3-14400 at 5m with resources blocked) into an orbit around Kerbin.

At the top a mk2 Lander can.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14923883/screenshot580.png

Because tweakscale can make it confusing to see the real size of rockets, this is what it looks like stock. Yes, that's 25 Mammoths on the first stage. HighExplosives12, you might have more luck launching it empty and refueling in orbit if you don't want to make such a big rocket, but as you can see it can be done.

hrjkBOS.png

I've sent this rover to Duna in the hopes of doing this challenge sometime. Though, it's on the same save as my grand tour and that will be my first priority.

GOsNgsk.png

As no one has chosen Pol sofar i will undertake a circumnavigation of Pol. I kept the rover much smaller than the Minmus rover and to make it more of a challenge without any RTG's, A few solar panels and two generators for power. It will have to do it on the small amount of fuel for the generators on board.

screenshot597.png

I landed quite a long way from my starting point and had to drive to the equator.