The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

I am feeling desperate right now. I cannot build a launcher stable enough with enough delta-v to make it and land on Tylo. I have a decent rover, but a part limit so little, I can't make a launcher big enough. Help?

-SPAddict

Plus, I have requested twice now at the Rocket Builders subforum, no solid answers.

Tylo??? Oh..... ouch! Landing on Tylo is a nightmare under the best of conditions. It's the one place I haven't landed yet. Thinking about it gives me nightmares... lol

While I'm not a huge fan of using it, you may need HyperEdit to get a lander safely onto Tylo quickly.

I think it is against the spirit at least if not the actual rules ( which it might be, I can't remember ). Go back a page or two and I did an album of arriving on Mun & building a craft on the spot.

Edit: well 3 pages then. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113778-The-Elcano-Challenge-Ground-based-circumnavigation?p=2251623&viewfull=1#post2251623

Fengist,

I would like permission to hyper edit my craft into LKO, and continue the rest of the flight manually from there.

-SPAddict

My laptop was crying at the thought of all those parts for a lifter in the atmo, please, I'm a noob at EL, and I can't design a rocket with low part count to send this to Tylo. But if I can start from LKO, then I can build something reasonable. I have no other way excluding this.

Spaceplaneaddict, Hyperedit is as far as I know not allowed under any circumstance except for testing. May I ask you how many parts your rover has? If you can't design a launcher which can get you there in once you should do it in multiple launches. Launch the transfer vehicle first, then rendezvous and dock the rover on the transfer vehicle. You can even send the transfer vehicle up without fuel to save mass and thus parts.

hope this helps

Fengist,

I would like permission to hyper edit my craft into LKO, and continue the rest of the flight manually from there.

-SPAddict

My laptop was crying at the thought of all those parts for a lifter in the atmo, please, I'm a noob at EL, and I can't design a rocket with low part count to send this to Tylo. But if I can start from LKO, then I can build something reasonable. I have no other way excluding this.

Part of the challenge is getting there. And as Fengist has said in the first post, it's more about the voyage than the destination. I've checked the threads and found your rover consisting of 92 parts and weighing about 10 tons. My first advice is using the welding mod to reduce the part count. A lot of the parts are structural panels which can easily be welded together. Do you intend to do the challenge with or without mods?

My rover uses Tweakscale and the current model is at 111 parts. However, building the transfer vehicle seems like a doable plan with the limited part count. Also, I deliberately decided against the welding mod, so I can really see how bad a driver I am.

-SPAddict

Orbital construction? kk

Fengist,

-SPAddict

I have a 7 year old AMD Phenom with 4 gigs of god awful ram and a hard drive so slow it would be faster for me to write the machine language. And I still managed to get 2 rovers of that size to Eve and drive around it. (Oh, and I even create mods on it) Find a way to make it work.

Oh, and I got a 250+ part walker to the Mun but misaligned parts ended that mission quickly.

Update coming this weekend.

Edited by Fengist

FENGIST

Well seems like my question got caught up in stuff, so i will ask again, how do i get the badge, do i need to do something that i am missing? I am kinda a noob at forumy stuff.

Go to the first post, right click the appropriate badge, save image as, done

Edited by TheCardinal

My rover slid down a hill and into a crater..... boom!!!

So I'm sending up a different kind of rover and starting over.

This one is huge, with all sorts of thrusters to help keep it stable (hopefully...)

Because it is a radically different design, I will restart from this point, and not count the first 7km I travelled yesterday, thereby maintaining the spirit of the challenge.

I wrote up a story for what happened in my mission report, along with some nice explody screenshots.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/137833-The-Elcano-Challange-and-Easter-Egg-hunt-(SPOILERS!!!)?p=2269860#post2269860

Who? I know I'm in the process, but who else? You? :D

Yes, i am. The Elcano challenge is about doing something no-one (or very few) have done before. After doing Minmus i had to choose a target. At the time, there were two bodies not yet circumnavigated, Pol and Tylo. I've completed Pol, so now it has to be Tylo.

At the moment, i'm still just testing the rover design, making adjustments where and when necessary. (I'll see if i can't create some video of the testingprocess)

When the testing is done, i'll start building the rocket and when ready, I'll send you the design to help you on your way. I'll try to make it as much stock as possible. Given the constraints your using.

Edited by TheCardinal

Yes, i am. The Elcano challenge is about doing something no-one (or very few) have done before. After doing Minmus i had to choose a target. At the time, there were two bodies not yet circumnavigated, Pol and Tylo. I've completed Pol, so now it has to be Tylo.

At the moment, i'm still just testing the rover design, making adjustments where and when necessary. (I'll see if i can't create some video of the testingprocess)

When the testing is done, i'll start building the rocket and when ready, I'll send you the design to help you on your way. I'll try to make it as much stock as possible. Given the constraints your using.

Lets make this a friendly competition :D. If you really want to work with my constraints, I didn't put enough solar panels to drive and keep EC charged. I only have one RTG to keep the prob core operational.

-SPAddict

Good luck! Also, really looking forward to seeing your design :D

- - - Updated - - -

It just occurred to me, I'm right now depriving myself of sleep because of it. I never tested my rover.

-SPAddict

I'll kick myself a few in the morning