The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

I have one question. At any point, from the moment you left the sph or vab and began the attempt in which you landed, planted a flag and drove back to that flag, did you use hyperedit?

If so, it's invalid.

Hyperedit is fine for testing. But once you begin, if you fail and wish to pick up where you left off, you must do it the old fashioned way.

Is that what I'm reading in your log?

Sorry I wasn't so clear about this. I'll tell you, but I didn't mention it before because some details are... embarrassing to say the least. Well, for me.

I made several attempts at this. The one I have screenshots of is the mk3. I abused the launch window and launched 3 ships at once. Number 1 and 2 were kinda weak, when it came to the rover. However, they still had good transfer vehicles. The mk3 was a good rover, with a good transfer vehicle. Unfortunately, and I find this quite embarrassing, I forgot to crew my mk2 and 3 vehicles because the crew module was not a root part, so it wasn't done automatically. Upon arrival in the Eve SOI, I used Hyperedit to test out if the mk1 and 2 were capable (I feared they weren't, and I was right). I found this quite embarrassing, hence why I didn't mention it before. The mk3 had no reason why it wouldn't make it; it was perfect in my eyes. So, after transferring the Kerbal to the mk3 vehicle from the mk1 (which by the way, I reversed quicksave and put it back into Eve orbit, then did the crew transfer legit), I set of for Gilly, leaving the Mk1 and Mk2 unscrewed and devoid of fuel (almost) in Eve orbit, doing the rest of the launch legit. I realise this all needs proof, so I'll be uploading screenshots to the original thread of the launch vehicle, as well as the mk1 and 2 in Eve orbit.

Just so it's 100% clear, I used Hyperedit on versions that ultimately failed. The final version was done legit from VAB to Gilly surface, and the crew transfer, due to quicksave reversing, was legit. All Hyperedit use was reverted before any changes were made to the attempt you see on screen.

Update: Transfer proof added to my thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130363-Gilly-Circumnavigation-Flying-without-wings%21?p=2114377#post2114377

Edited by ryan234abc

After a long delay involving system crashes, real life and 1000s of reworks, trials.. re-designs and suchlike.. I'm restarting my Elcano Challenge after the loss of 4409 the way she went was rather depressing if not impressive.. it took a while to recover from that too :)

(twin generator failure on a steep mountain = runaway)

this time the 44 class is replaced by a 40 class locomotive similar to D4001 used previously as a helper loco.. much more refined though as a mainline leading unit

she breaks no rules just like her sister trains before her (and there has been many)

Details on my thread in my signature

hWWG1kW.jpg

Edited by Overland

I decided to tackle one of Kerbin's newer moons - VUY-519 - or "Tato" as it is known to Frodin Kermin.

http://imgur.com/a/Z8r1l

Circumnavigation took a respectable 16 minutes. I think I could shave a little off that but I was wary of catching "air". The ion engine running on low power kept the stock rover fixed to the surface. Propulsion and steering was via RCS.

Nice challenge!

Update...

Dang! Just realised I forgot the start/finish flag. Will the parked craft do as well? I could repeat the journey if needed....Never mind, found you can't plant flags on these bodies.

So...just checking...my entry no good?

Just so it's 100% clear, I used Hyperedit on versions that ultimately failed. The final version was done legit from VAB to Gilly surface, and the crew transfer, due to quicksave reversing, was legit. All Hyperedit use was reverted before any changes were made to the attempt you see on screen.

If you say you did it legit, then I have no reason to disbelieve you. No proof needed. And I've launched more that one ship without a full crew. Congrats on your circumnavigation of Gilly and welcome to the exclusive club. Feel free to grab the badge and I'll be doing an update in a day or two.

- - - Updated - - -

So...just checking...my entry no good?

Ummmm no. I guess I missed your OP on this. By orbital bodies, I'm referring to stock planets or moons. Asteroids don't count nor do any orbital bodies placed there by plugins. While this challenge does allow mods in a broad sense, that's for the creation of the vehicles.

While I admit your images are amusing, the entry is invalid.

- - - Updated - - -

After a long delay involving system crashes, real life and 1000s of reworks, trials.. re-designs and suchlike.. I'm restarting my Elcano Challenge after the loss of 4409 the way she went was rather depressing if not impressive.. it took a while to recover from that too :)

(twin generator failure on a steep mountain = runaway)

this time the 44 class is replaced by a 40 class locomotive similar to D4001 used previously as a helper loco.. much more refined though as a mainline leading unit

she breaks no rules just like her sister trains before her (and there has been many)

Details on my thread in my signature

http://i.imgur.com/hWWG1kW.jpg

Da Choo Choo is back. Glad to see you're giving it another go.

If you say you did it legit, then I have no reason to disbelieve you. No proof needed. And I've launched more that one ship without a full crew. Congrats on your circumnavigation of Gilly and welcome to the exclusive club. Feel free to grab the badge and I'll be doing an update in a day or two.

Thank you. Much appreciated. Sorry if the confusion caused any inconvenience, I'm not the best at including all the details. Nonetheless, proud to be a part of it all.

And good luck to any people in the future who attempt any branch of the Elcano challenge! No matter how small the planet, how far the distance, every body poses it's own unique challenge! Good luck!

Had to rework my rig. I've officially given up on trying to build an amphibious craft and I'll work out a long convoluted path around Kerbin via the ground.

lol the exact opposite for me, i just cant be patient, i think i'm going to restart my try ,this time with mods, to make it amphibious

To my knowledge, the speed at which you can enter water is based on the crash tolerances of the parts. The maximum speed you can achieve on water is 125 m/s. At that point, things begin to break regardless of crash tolerances.

And if you're interested in boats guys, my mod is open for this challenge. Click the image in my sig. I'd actually like to see if someone could make with my parts pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course.

yup, just downloaded 2 days ago (had work on weekend, cant play)

Mission report thread updated with part 2 of Kerbin circumnavigation, taking me across the seemingly endless desert; see signature for link to mission report. Also I think this got buried a few pages back:

Updated with Minmus completion. I hope I documented everything adequately.

Please let me know if I need to be doing something differently. I try not to be excessively dry with nothing but map shots while still providing sufficient proof at each step with KER open.

Going to be attempting this challenge within the next couple of days. I'm going to be streaming via twitch in a few minutes to modify Jon144's Mega-Truck 2 into an Elcano-challenge capable vehicle.

Important links:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131384-Noname-s-Elcano-Challenge-Report!?p=2134428#post2134428

http://www.twitch.tv/noname117spore

Yes, I will be streaming the entire challenge.

Running into several immediate problems:

A: It is too laggy

B: It is too slow

C: Nobody wants to watch this.

D: My patience is really low

I may just have to not try the challenge or spend forever developing a homebuilt vehicle to get the job done; the conversion is looking like a bad idea right now. I'm thinking making good use of landing gear.

Edited by Noname117

[thread=131400]Here[/thread] is my attempt to drive around Kerbin and visit all the biomes. There are only 2 biomes remaining but more than half the distance still to do; perhaps a full circumnavigation in distance if I decide to visit the great desert...

Going to be attempting this challenge within the next couple of days. I'm going to be streaming via twitch in a few minutes to modify Jon144's Mega-Truck 2 into an Elcano-challenge capable vehicle.

Important links:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131384-Noname-s-Elcano-Challenge-Report!?p=2134428#post2134428

http://www.twitch.tv/noname117spore

Yes, I will be streaming the entire challenge.

Running into several immediate problems:

A: It is too laggy

B: It is too slow

C: Nobody wants to watch this.

D: My patience is really low

I may just have to not try the challenge or spend forever developing a homebuilt vehicle to get the job done; the conversion is looking like a bad idea right now. I'm thinking making good use of landing gear.

Wow wow hey there. The default model is none of these. You just need to have the patience of making a modified version work. Don't blame it on me at least.

Anyone have any tips for making stuff that floats? I wanna attempt a Kerbin circumnavigation at some point without having to refuel, should I use an Ion engine with buttloads of power generation or a KAX or something electric propellor?

Kerbal Foundries has some rotating-cone devices for thrust which work in water. They probably want quite a lot of juice now.

Part five of Kerbin circumnavigation is up. This is a special installment, devoted entirely to my attempt to climb out of the sea straight up the face of the southern ice cap.

That was certainly quite an ambitious route. No prospect of firing a harpoon further up the cliff?

That was certainly quite an ambitious route. No prospect of firing a harpoon further up the cliff?

Kinda played at that technique, but if angle of the winch is off by a little it doesn't stick in, and angle is very hard to control without using a hinge (didn't have a third or fourth hinge handy). It might work on a vehicle designed for that purpose, I'll have to do some testing to see if I could make something like that work.

I'm sure there are better methods, this is what I improvised at sea out of two toolboxes meant to supply refueling efforts.