How to fix those heatshields! (get rid of command pod flipping into the heat!)

Endersmens

Note: Flowerchild was the first to find this, so he gets the credit. I just decided to make a thread so everyone could find it easier.

Go to your KSP folder and follow this address: GameData/Squad/Parts/Aero/HeatShield

Here you will find HeatShield1.cfg, HeatShield2.cfg, and Heatshield3.cfg. (don't mess with the .mu files)

Open up each CFG using notepad or whatever you use, and hit ctrl+F to open the search function, and type "physics" and hit enter. It will take you to a line that reads "PhysicsSignificance = 1"

Change the 1 to a 0, for each heatshield cfg, and your heatshields will now add their mass to your craft the right way! Meaning that instead of just adding it's mass to the parent part, it will now add its mass right where it is, which means it will shift the CoM when you place it.

Which means a pod with a heatshield on it will now reenter without SAS or any fighting, it will naturally point retrograde now!

Here is another way of fixing it, using ModuleManager.

Anyone who's already using Module Manager can also make a heatshield_fix.cfg that contains this:

@PART[HeatShield*]

{

@PhysicsSignificance = 0

}

Again, thanks to Flowerchild for finding this, and ignath for letting me know about the module manager patch. :) Enjoy reentering!

Edited by Endersmens

It's a useful information, but I need a bit of explaining. Will it shift the CoM as well or simply make the capsule heavier?

Changing the PhysicsSignificance to 0 means that the heatshield will now add its mass to the ship, so that when you add it to a pod, it shifts the CoM down, instead of just making the parent part heavier. :)

Edited by Endersmens

Changing the PhysicsSignificance to 0 means that the heatshield will now add its mass to the ship, so when you add it to a pod, it shifts the CoM down, as well as making the craft heavier. :)

Actually...

PhysicsSignificance changed (was fixed) for 1.0, so even physicsless parts now always add their mass and drag to the ship. They just add it to the parent part, not to themselves. If you turn the flag off, the heatshield instead keeps the mass and other physics stuff for itself.

But yes, the salient point is that trying to ride a physicsless part through the atmosphere is a recipe for failure :P

Actually...

PhysicsSignificance changed (was fixed) for 1.0, so even physicsless parts now always add their mass and drag to the ship. They just add it to the parent part, not to themselves. If you turn the flag off, the heatshield instead keeps the mass and other physics stuff for itself.

But yes, the salient point is that trying to ride a physicsless part through the atmosphere is a recipe for failure :P

Noted. Thanks for the heads up! I'll put that in the first post. (I may have also edited the post you were referring to. :P )

- - - Updated - - -

Why is it "non-physical" in first place?

I have no idea. :P

I'm not able to test right now

Does it also solve the issue where trying to use the SAS retrograde setting with capsule+shield goes nuts and just drains all your power while not pointing the right way?

I'm not sure, but you don't have to use that setting anymore. The pod will point itself retrograde hands off controls with no SAS. :)

Anyone who's already using Module Manager can also make a heatshield_fix.cfg that contains this:

@PART[HeatShield*]

{

@PhysicsSignificance = 0

}

Edited by Ignath
misspelling fixed

The "physicsless parts add mass to ship CoM/parent part CoM" was one of the suggestions in the S&D forum for this update. Which is a good idea; it just shows more attention needed to be given to deciding which parts deserve to be physicsless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.