[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

1 hour ago, NoMrBond said:

What about getting the shader added to the game itself, if that was an option?

I'd be all over stock realistic reflections. I'd drop WindowShine for stock reflections in a heartbeat :P

5 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Lawl - cuz stock we be the same thing :D hm, on second thought I would keep it running for mod support most likely.

I just saw this :

MEMORY SAVER:
This will save you a good chunk of memory, but in doing so overwrite the stock part textures (what I personally do)-Instead of installing the part textures into "TextureReplacer\Default\Squad", place the WindowShine Squad folder inside GameData. This will overwrite the stock part textures, making KSP only load one set of textures at startup.

so the question is, can you share your own version here and let others decide? also, can we do this with your shader (dropping and replacing squad ones)? another question, would it cover mods or do we need to have one shader / part / mod ?

6 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

so the question is, can you share your own version here and let others decide?

I don't think I quite understand what you mean by "my own version"? Version of WindowShine? I use the same thing as everyone else :P

also, can we do this with your shader (dropping and replacing squad ones)?

With the new shaders shown in that gif you wouldn't be able to as they actually add a completely new reflection overlay texture and as such it needs a new framework. I don't know anything about how KSP handles shaders sorry :P 

another question, would it cover mods or do we need to have one shader / part / mod ?

Should be one shader for everything. WindowShine is basically a glorified texturepack for TextureReplacer, it's just that WindowShine is pretty much the only mod that's using TRs reflection plugin. Basically as soon as I learned I could add reflections through TextureReplacer I sat down, learned the .cfg format, learned how to find internal mesh names, and then created new alpha channels for the squad textures. Wrapping all three of those together and I got WindowShine :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

5 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I don't think I quite understand what you mean by "my own version"? Version of WindowShine? I use the same thing as everyone else :P

With the new shaders shown in that gif you wouldn't be able to as they actually add a completely new reflection overlay texture and as such it needs a new framework. I don't know anything about how KSP handles shaders sorry :P 

Unsure? WindowShine is basically a glorified texturepack for TextureReplacer as it uses TRs folder format to incorporate new textures. The reflection shader isn't even in the WindowShine download. It's in TextureReplacer for everyone to use, it's just that WindowShine is pretty much the only mod that's actually used it. Basically as soon as I learned I could add reflections through TextureReplacer I sat down, learned the .cfg format, learned how to find internal mesh names, and then created new alpha channels for the squad textures. Wrapping all three of those together and I got WindowShine :P

sigh, this means lots of job needs to be done for covering that shininess for more than few parts, well, i hope someone come to rescue us making a new plugin or someone from texture replacer group pick this up and help you, also, regarding what we spoke in pm, if a plugin can put this on every part's mesh, i think there can be a work around for the flag mesh and it's transparency, a way to handle it could be the texture size, looking at it, a small texture size really won't need any shininess i think

4 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

sigh, this means lots of job needs to be done for covering that shininess for more than few parts, well, i hope someone come to rescue us making a new plugin or someone from texture replacer group pick this up and help you, also, regarding what we spoke in pm, if a plugin can put this on every part's mesh, i think there can be a work around for the flag mesh and it's transparency, a way to handle it could be the texture size, looking at it, a small texture size really won't need any shininess i think

I edited my last message a bit since you posted that quote too :) - The way the reflection .cfg works right now is that it applies reflections to every mesh name you list, and if you leave it blank it applies it to everything (I think). Like I mentioned in PMs I'd be totally okay with this except for the fact that reflections bug out when placed on the flag. It'd be sweet if instead of placing reflections on every part you mention in the .cfg, if it removed them from every part you mention in the .cfg. I.E. I would only list the flag mesh name (Which in most cases is just called "flag" or "flag1" and "flag2", and in many cases there isn't even a flag on the part).

Anyways, that gif that I posted is using a completely new system from the last reflection shaders so it would need a redesigned plugin. TextureReplacer is weird in the fact that the shaders are actually wrapped up inside the .dll file, rather than being in a folder like almost everything else. Means the .dll file would basically need a complete redesign. Like I said though if someone decides to redesign the plugin, they'll be new co-owner of WindowShine. It's half of the mod.

1 minute ago, cy4n said:

They said it couldn't be done. But I have proved them all wrong! For today, I unveil:

Ven-Stock-Re-Vamp-Shine!

http://imgur.com/a/kN2Cd

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGJauIu5fDPS2RncFZmN2dUa1k

:0.0: OMG!!! Can I add that to the mods list? Awesome job. For the life of me I couldn't get them working :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

52 minutes ago, cy4n said:

They said it couldn't be done. But I have proved them all wrong! For today, I unveil:

Ven-Stock-Re-Vamp-Shine!

http://imgur.com/a/kN2Cd

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGJauIu5fDPS2RncFZmN2dUa1k

umm i am new to texture replacer stuff, is this all about shadows from sun? and would it work on 1.2?

5 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

umm i am new to texture replacer stuff, is this all about shadows from sun? and would it work on 1.2?

Do you mean Eclipses? TextureReplacer just replaces textures it doesn't muck with shadows at all :P

8 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

then what are new on those screen shots (really noob here)

Ah okay :) - in that picture the cabin lights can turn on and the green highlighting is still on parts. Right now if you add reflections to a part the cabin lights won't turn on and the parts won't glow when you hover over them. That image isn't a screenshot though, it's in Unity. It isn't a mod yet because I can't code. I need someone else to add it for me :/

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Just now, Jiraiyah said:

Oh damn, can't wait to test that copula like pod, my main issue with copula in stock is it's collider, surface attached stuff hide under it's external round part gah

:P His art style is beautiful and the new models he made are amazing, I just wish they didn't change the stock colliders and parameters. They change the game too much from stock and as thus I don't use them. I like to be able to do everything in my modded installs that I could do in bone stock as well. Ven's revamp is too much of a jump for people like me.

oh well, trust me, if i could, i would open stock parts every now and then and get rid of some of the colliders and tweak their configs till i would be happy, why don't they understand that mesh vertices are not that heavy on game engines these days any more ? even a laptop can handle up to 100k or more vertices per view without hiccups

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.