ISS veggies on the menu for the first time

lajoswinkler

Why not just make fake meat from protein? We already got to a point where it is almost impossible to distinguish between fake meat and real meat: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/07/beyond_meat_fake_chicken_that_tastes_so_real_it_will_freak_you_out_.html

It would give the same psychological boost as long as they don't think too much about it.

I didn't thought about how to mate chickens in space though if it's going to be self-sustained. Also, how you make scramble egg in space ? There's no way a frying pan going to work well. Killing chickens and cook them in space would be overkill...

Fake meat... Hmm, I don't know - for sure you should test whether you can make them in space or not.

Also, how you make scramble egg in space ? There's no way a frying pan going to work well.

Maybe a heated metal blender contraption instead?

Killing chickens and cook them in space would be overkill...

Well, killing them can be easy, just put them in a cage full of CO2 and there won't be a lot of fuzz. But butchering them for meat, however, is going to be a lot of mess. Just plucking the feathers alone is already a problem. Then the blood when you cut the meat, then the guts. Then the sanitizing process... Just thinking about it makes me think it is way more problems than it is worth.

Also, what do we do with the waste? Feather, bones, anything that isn't edible. Seems like a whole lot of energy wasted for things we can't use.

Maybe one day we will have a genetically engineered creature that does nothing but take in waste discarded by the crew and turn it into meat...like a certain sci-fi horror manga. (kudos if anyone know which manga I am talking about)

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't thought about how to mate chickens in space though if it's going to be self-sustained. Also, how you make scramble egg in space ? There's no way a frying pan going to work well. Killing chickens and cook them in space would be overkill...

Fake meat... Hmm, I don't know - for sure you should test whether you can make them in space or not.

You can make pretty decent scrambled eggs using a microwave although I don't know how well it would work in zero-G. Cooking them in a sealed container wouldn't be hard but I suspect the texture would be fairly weird. But yeah - keeping your flock of egg-laying space chickens is probably more hassle than it's worth. :)

Mushrooms are better I guess... but what about their spores ? Even blobs of dead matter (water) were a problem, what about a whole fertile organism that can just grow everywhere ?

Make a blob of scrambled egg and catch it with two teflon coated heating plates. Adjust plate separation. Turn on the heat. Enjoy your omelette. Easy peasy.

You should apply to be an astronaut and test this yourself. Or tell them to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.