[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@Zorg, does your MORL Gemini docking port have an inflatable sealing ring around it? I believe that was how the real MORL docking bay was configured. It allowed astronauts to transfer into the station without having to suit up and do an EVA. Once docked the ring was inflated, the bay pressurized, and the astros would open the hatch and float into the station like they were taking a casual stroll. Pretty cool idea.

I would bet that KSP limitations won't allow that to happen. Even still, you have a great design there. I am looking forward to flying it.

Are you guys going to make the banana peel for the M55A1? I don't know much much about how modding works but its seem like it could be done using the same setup as the insulation panels on Centaur-D.

Then again it would just be aesthetic since solid propellant temperature doesn't matter in game

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

One more addition to the upcoming MORL partset, a Resistojet electric RCS pod. Not too common in KSP mods, resistojets are commonplace in irl GEO satellites. They pass current through a resistive element to heat fluid which can be non reactive.

The MORL proposals studied using hydrogen, ammonia and biowaste recovered CO2 (from scrubbers). In game there will be 2 configs, H2 and Monoprop using ammonia stats. One of the options for biowaste recovery was water recovered from poop, though CO2 won out at least within the biowaste category. I think the bare version set to H2 config will be a nice match for nuclear vessels.

* snip *

Any chance we could get more resistojet thruster parts in that style? Maybe not as extensive as present Apollo RCS block family but single and double would be nice. Looking good!

7 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

@Zorg, does your MORL Gemini docking port have an inflatable sealing ring around it? I believe that was how the real MORL docking bay was configured. It allowed astronauts to transfer into the station without having to suit up and do an EVA. Once docked the ring was inflated, the bay pressurized, and the astros would open the hatch and float into the station like they were taking a casual stroll. Pretty cool idea.

I would bet that KSP limitations won't allow that to happen. Even still, you have a great design there. I am looking forward to flying it.

No I've not modelled the hatch. Its function would be entirely cosmetic in this case, it would need to be a seal without a collider that sits in the cone. I have thought about it but undecided what exactly to do about it and how to model it if I do.

2 hours ago, Nachtgeist789 said:

Any chance we could get more resistojet thruster parts in that style? Maybe not as extensive as present Apollo RCS block family but single and double would be nice. Looking good!

This texture sheet has filled up and this wasn't designed with variants in mind. So I can't make simple derivatives of these. But I will consider it for the future.

8 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

Are you guys going to make the banana peel for the M55A1? I don't know much much about how modding works but its seem like it could be done using the same setup as the insulation panels on Centaur-D.

Then again it would just be aesthetic since solid propellant temperature doesn't matter in game

already been stated as no it isn't coming...   But So was Pegasus :D

I am still hoping for a TU-122 nosecone...  For INT-19 reasons... But at the size it is I could probably be "Okayish" with a stock one

Edited by Pappystein

On 3/4/2023 at 9:33 AM, Emperor of Ilve said:

I've been working on updating RO support for BDB for the past month and a half

Should hopefully be ready to go soon

Configs are being put up in Pull Requests on the RO Github page now

They aren't all there yet and it will be a while before they all are, but if you want to test them out go for it. Just read the requirements to use them since they require a few of the newer features and updates that RO has that are in development

Early alpha for the MORL parts up on github. Parts could be buggy right now, I'll do a second pass on the configs tomorrow. Let me know if there are major issues. (RCS waterfall is missing I know, will do them tomorrow).

Note the red stripes are a conformal decal. Its included in the BDB decal part if CD is installed. Text is the default Conformal Decal text part with USAF font. Still a few things to sort out but it can be flown into orbit on a Saturn IB in 2.7x scale.

49 minutes ago, Invader_guy said:

Im gettting these errors on startup, at least the first one seems to be caused by a bluedog part but Im not really sure what might be wrong with it

uqPXRt6.png

JMQEDkM.png

log here

Don't know about the first one. As for the second one, are you using community resource pack or realfuel/interstellar fuel switch? If you're using the latter that may be the problem.

Edit: Disregard what I said, I took another look at the log.

Edited by Blufor878

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Early alpha for the MORL parts up on github. Parts could be buggy right now, I'll do a second pass on the configs tomorrow. Let me know if there are major issues. (RCS waterfall is missing I know, will do them tomorrow).

Note the red stripes are a conformal decal. Its included in the BDB decal part if CD is installed. Text is the default Conformal Decal text part with USAF font. Still a few things to sort out but it can be flown into orbit on a Saturn IB in 2.7x scale.

You know… If you used some different solar panels, one could combine this together with a Skylab wet workshop to create a “Super Skylab”! By itself this will be awesome, but the kitbashing potential is tremendous!

Am I the only one who thinks that the CSMs in the second image look like  bunch of goldfish swarming a pile of food?

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Revisiting my Jarvis build. Guess what I did this time...(hint, the upper stage thrusters should look familiar).
52771838115_e8a81afa52_b.jpg
52771912043_3a7b873254_b.jpg
Sorry for the lack of action shots, I'm about to hit the hay.

Edited by Blufor878

So we just added it to the description of the part but wanted to warn everyone again, just like the Skylab workshop, the MORL radial docking ports use the jettison module and this is buggy if the part is the root. When reloading the scene the covers will return (and you can't jettison them again). As such we recommend making another part the root of the craft before launch. The ideal option would be whatever docking port you have at the top node.

13 hours ago, Invader_guy said:

Im gettting these errors on startup, at least the first one seems to be caused by a bluedog part but Im not really sure what might be wrong with it

uqPXRt6.png

JMQEDkM.png

log here

Just from looking at what you have installed, for the first error I suspect Kerbalism / KerbalismSystemHeat may be causing issues for parts that switch radiator capacity. It's not something we test against or do compatibility for, but they may be able to add compatibility on their side. The 2nd error doesn't seem to be related to BDB, that's a Cryotanks tank type afaik. In the log, there's b9 tank type errors, but they mention "FBCM" instead of "LH2OCryo", and may be related to parts from the mod Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems. In fact, it looks like that was fixed 9 hours ago, so try updating that mod.

Edited by Rodger

On 3/25/2023 at 4:34 PM, Zorg said:

Looks nice.  It is always great to keep the various ideas alive.  That said, we might get the MMSS (Corona Moon Mapping & Survey System) back into the documentation.  I had to do some digging on that b/c I wanted to recreate it and my files about it died in a windows upgrade failure.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:13 AM, Blufor878 said:

Dang my obsessive brain.
52771720579_cea7c86786_b.jpg

Kerbalism begins at obsession.  Let's keep it kerbaling.

49 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Vanguard KSRSS x2.7 scale? My favourite is TV-3 (exploded just above pad) contract in History of Spaceflight because I can totally pull that off :-D

screenshot157.png?width=1894&height=1065

It'll buff out.

Just wanted to make a post for my updated Saturn Shuttle. I am now referring to "Saturn Shuttle Phase 0". Basically my personal alternate history/lore is that the orbiter and ET were ready for flight, but developmental problems arose for the flyback first stage. As a result the first few shuttle flights would go without the flyback booster. Hence Phase 0.
52776275188_daf42fdc15_o.png
52776275163_fddfd63b73_o.png
52775793881_b347b16e56_o.png
IRL I'm reposting the Saturn Shuttle because I've replaced the redirect ET with the ORANGES model, and I've updated the AJ-10 on the orbiter since Benjee10 updated his assets and got rid of the old models.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Saturn-Shuttle-Phase-0