[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

ETS European Module IVA

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/929499313132933120/1094992287823581245/screen_2560x1440_2023-04-10_19-16-03.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/929499313132933120/1094992333654736916/screen_2560x1440_2023-04-10_19-15-33.png

Hide contents

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/929499313132933120/1094992352340353024/screen_2560x1440_2023-04-10_19-15-08.png

Duna suface simulation computer

Nice! I just realized a Fallout reference would be somewhat topical too. Like maybe a screen from the pip-boy.
(Not an actual suggestion, just spouting random ideas).

16 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

The infamous Death Star trench… don’t remember a Skylab in the Rebel Alliance squadron organization though. :wink::lol:

What do you mean? I definitely remember it being there in that scene?

Mi2jlhh.png

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

ETS European Module IVA

Reveal hidden contents

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/929499313132933120/1094992352340353024/screen_2560x1440_2023-04-10_19-15-08.png

Duna suface simulation computer

rddDCI7.png

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

What do you mean? I definitely remember it being there in that scene?

Mi2jlhh.png

rddDCI7.png

First: What on God' green Earth am I looking at.

Second: I would, in fact, like to know more.

Third: Fun fact, some of the background ships in the original trilogy made use of Saturn V parts from a model kit. A youtuber named ECHenry talks about it (and a WHOLE bunch of other things).

Edited by Blufor878

Sorry for the delay in finishing up this set of parts, I'd rather have had them finished by now. IRL has been hectic lately (Nothing that isn't being handled!).

Anyways, I'm not sure if I shared what I have so far here, so here's a peek. The proportions are a bit whack but there isn't much I can do while keeping diameters.

kx8ASOf.png

43 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sorry for the delay in finishing up this set of parts, I'd rather have had them finished by now. IRL has been hectic lately (Nothing that isn't being handled!).

Anyways, I'm not sure if I shared what I have so far here, so here's a peek. The proportions are a bit whack but there isn't much I can do while keeping diameters.

kx8ASOf.png

Vega on a diet. 

REDSTONE ROCKETS

Redstone MRBM test vehicle RS-4 launching from Cape Canaveral LC-4 on August 8, 1957.

Spoiler

OcgTHm5.jpeg

90 Redstone test and operational missiles were launched from the Cape, White Sands Missile Range, Fort Wingate New Mexico, Johnston Island, and San Nicholas Island California between August 1953 and December 1965. This period spanned the development of the much longer range and more capable PGM-19 Jupiter IRBM. 23 (some sources say 25) Redstone missiles were used to test elements of the Jupiter missile in flight. They were "used to obtain design data, to prove the guidance system, to evolve separation procedures, and to develop other special information that was used in the Jupiter program". These 23 missiles were officially designated Jupiter-A, but all the changes were internal with the missile's appearance remaining unchanged. Renaming the missiles also allowed the Army to get around the Cape range restrictions that allocated a higher priority to the Jupiter development program. Elements of the Jupiter could be tested in flight, which greatly speeded Jupiter development, and Redstones could continue to be tested without restrictions. This clever bureaucratic dodge allowed both programs to move forward. Below is Jupiter-A flight RS-18, launching from Cape Canaveral LC-6 on March 15, 1956. 

Spoiler

c5RuGig.jpeg

Several Redstone missile airframes were taken in hand by Werner von Braun's team at Huntsville and modified into test vehicles to further prove out Jupiter concepts, specifically the warheads (in BDB these are called "reentry vehicles" :wink:). These vehicles had longer fuel tanks, used exotic and more powerful LOX/hydyne fuel, had a shorter and lighter guidance section, and most importantly had two solid fuel upper stages. They were to boost sub-scale Jupiter reentry nose cones to very high altitudes and speeds. The first flight took place on September 20, 1956 from Cape Canaveral LC-5. Its mission was to test out the vehicle with the upper stages. This vehicle (RS-27) looked a lot like the later Juno I vehicle that launched Explorer 1, but the final stage was a dummy. It also had an additional fairing at the top of the solid motor tub. The flight was successful. For the KSP universe, I have never been able to get the Dock Rotate mod to work properly, so I use a spin motor decoupler to get the upper stages spinning after release. Not completely historically accurate, but it works well enough!

Spoiler

XMYj1HB.jpeg

3DWGXvb.jpeg

The three stage Jupiter-C flew only three times. Flights two and three replaced the dummy upper stage with a sub-scale Jupiter nose cone. Flight 2 had some propulsion irregularities on the 2nd and third stages, but still returned a lot of useful data. Flight 3 (vehicle RS-40) was entirely successful. This flight is shown below flying from LC-6 on August 8, 1957.

Spoiler

spEWO3D.jpeg

The three Jupiter-C flights were capable of putting a satellite into orbit, but bureaucratic silliness prevented von Braun's team from doing so. This is significant because had the red tape been cleared up, the United States would have put the first satellite into orbit, not the USSR. After the shock of Sputnik and the failure of Vanguard, all objections quickly melted away and von Braun's team was given the go-ahead. They added another stage to the Jupiter-C (a single Sergeant motor) and vehicle RS-29 successfully launched the Explorer 1 satellite from LC-26A on February 1, 1958. It is important to note that the four stage version of the Jupiter-C was officially renamed Juno I. This was to give the U.S. government the veneer that our first satellite was launched on a "civilian" rocket, not a military missile.

Spoiler

7pEKSKA.png

NASA selected the Redstone to launch the first sub-orbital flights of Project Mercury. The vehicle was actually the lengthened Jupiter-C version, but without the upper stages and with an interstage section added. NASA also did not like the volatile LOX/hydyne fuel so they went back to the standard Redstone LOX/alcohol fuel. Vehicle MLRV-7 launched Alan Shepard and his Freedom 7 spacecraft on his historic flight on May 5, 1961.

Spoiler

APs5mBA.jpeg

The Army continued to test the Redstone missile, mostly in training missions for the uniformed personnel that would fire them in combat. The flight below was the second to take place from Fort Wingate, NM. Vehicle 1005 flew successfully over the White Sands Missile Range on July 6, 1961. (Please note that I could not find a photo of this launch, so I made an assumption that this missile was painted standard Army green. It may have actually been painted white. I wanted to get the green paint job in this series so what the heck. It works!)

Spoiler

DPblYwo.jpeg

In the late 1960s, the U.S. cooperated in a joint venture with Australia in which Redstone missile variants were used to study the reentry characteristics of spacecraft, in a program with similar goals as the Jupiter-C launches. Ten Redstones were modified with two solid motor upper stages and flown from Woomera, South Australia. The last vehicle, serial 2029/SV-10 carried Australia's first satellite, WRESAT, to orbit on November 29, 1967. This was the last flight of a Redstone rocket, as the U.S. Army had withdrawn the PGM-11 Redstone from front line service in June, 1964 in favor of the Pershing missile. An iconic chapter in rocketry was now closed for good.

Spoiler

v4So7A9.jpeg

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

kx8ASOf.png

Funny thing, the first 3 "Taurus" or Minotaur C launches were with LGM-118 first stages Thiokol SR-118 TU-903.

Given USAF Peacekeepers were powered by TU-901s I ASSUME that it was the same rocket motor with a slightly different grain cut (the solid fuel "star" profile was different.    In all my research I have not found any DEFINITIVE differences listed between TU-901, 902, 903

SO! if you want to fly Early Taurus fights you fly them with the SR-118 engine not CASTOR-120.

I launched an improved Skylab. Now what's the improvement?

dfu773s-7c069ab9-cb51-4e2c-bfb9-f99ad358
dfu773w-0dff8fd7-2e86-4cb4-a0c9-b754a9da
It has room for addons and DLC!
dfu7743-6fece59a-4096-4d39-bc04-ccaaae49
7 ports in total, including 1 CBM and a whole lotta APAS.

One another note, does anyone have issues getting the deployable J2's to ignite at a certain altitute? I gave this Saturn V the deployable J2 variant on the second stage and it seems to go back and forth between being deployed and not. It's an easy fix, assigning them to an action group and toggling said group seems to fix it, but's it's kinda jarring for a couple seconds. Also seems oddly specific. It seems to occur mainly with the SII or SII engine mount and only in the upper atmosphere just before reaching space (maybe 45-49 km up). Also it seems more likely to happen if you have no crew.

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Family photo! (Some parts were used in place of missing ones)

sWYhHuq.png

Eh, Minotaur III and VI are both missing :D   (Minotaur III has no fourth stage at all, instead having just SuperHAPS...)   Minotaur VI needs a 2nd SR-118 :D

But Awesome family Photo. 

56 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Eh, Minotaur III and VI are both missing :D   (Minotaur III has no fourth stage at all, instead having just SuperHAPS...)   Minotaur VI needs a 2nd SR-118 :D

But Awesome family Photo. 

Ah, I thought that was just extended fairings with different stages hidden inside. I'll fix them tonight and post the edited setup. 

Edit: So I looked into it and it seems the double 118 is actually a Minotaur 6, not 4. Minotaur 4 is the 118, 119, 120 config like I have. It does add an Orion 38 tho.

Source: Gunter's

Edited by GoldForest

On 4/4/2023 at 8:20 AM, TrackerAerospace said:

A flexible 3 stage launch vehicle, with an optional HAPS monopropellant 4th stage, Pegasus is the ideal smallsat launcher. As long as you have a carrier vehicle, you can strap Pegasus to it and launch from anywhere, to any inclination!

Pegasus is also suitable for a variety of mission requirements as it doesn't require a fixed launchsite! If your payload fits, Pegasus will get it to space.

Available along with the Minotaur/Minuteman rocket family, in the development branch of BDB!

aQh8DDB.pngHdjosxt.pngIgqCs2T.pngJ6R2dkh.png9J4p3ie.pngbDMtDHO.pngJ8dVUqL.pngTmeC9sN.png

Where'd you get the parts for the L1011 Tristar? 

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Ah, I thought that was just extended fairings with different stages hidden inside. I'll fix them tonight and post the edited setup. 

Edit: So I looked into it and it seems the double 118 is actually a Minotaur 6, not 4. Minotaur 4 is the 118, 119, 120 config like I have. It does add an Orion 38 tho.

Source: Gunter's

IV is as you say SR118, SR119, SR120 and Orion38

IV+ is 118,119,120 STAR48BV

V is 118, 119,120, STAR48BV, STAR37FMV

VI is 118, 118, 119, 120 STAR48BV,  OPTIONALLY STAR37FMV as a 6th stage.

=============================================================

Minotaur III is SR118, SR119, SR120 HAPS

Minotaur IV-Lite is SR118, SR119, SR120 SUPERHAPS.

Literally that is the reason why you don't hear about Minotaur III anymore, none of the OPS2 suborbital payloads would work with a standard HAPS...   at least to date

Edited by Pappystein

On 4/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, Blufor878 said:

One another note, does anyone have issues getting the deployable J2's to ignite at a certain altitute? I gave this Saturn V the deployable J2 variant on the second stage and it seems to go back and forth between being deployed and not. It's an easy fix, assigning them to an action group and toggling said group seems to fix it, but's it's kinda jarring for a couple seconds. Also seems oddly specific. It seems to occur mainly with the SII or SII engine mount and only in the upper atmosphere just before reaching space (maybe 45-49 km up). Also it seems more likely to happen if you have no crew.

Are you getting the issue when just staging the engines, without using a custom action group? Staging them should deploy them then start them automatically once deployed, with the single press of spacebar. If that’s not happening, what exact version of the j2 are you experiencing it with?