[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, MashAndBangers said:

Did you know...

vSIQbm1.pngQ4MbLiv.pngRgxIh7n.pnglmfJHMf.pngI7rHTb0.png

Just so you know you're mod link is spazzing out the rest of the page. But I certainly know, and am very excited! Supposed to come with SPOCK 2.0 down the line as well.

18 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

Is it just me, or does the X-15 have a tendency to dive to the ground when air launched?

That happens with anything air launched. You're supposed to pitch up the mothership before release, so you have time to compensate for the nosedive. 

@CobaltWolfIdea, you know how each individual component of the new Atlas V tank has paint switches, like the tank itself, the raceways, the LOX line, and the avionics unit? What about doing something similar for the Saturn parts? Like, you can switch between white paint, Atlas-style copper, or SOFI, and switch between the black roll stripes. At the moment it's either white with roll stripes, all white, or SOFI/copper with roll stripes.

Also, whoever maintains the all white Saturn patch, the paint switch for the 4.25m adapter is broken.

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

That happens with anything air launched. You're supposed to pitch up the mothership before release, so you have time to compensate for the nosedive. 

Yeah, I tried doing that, but still no luck.

6 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

@CobaltWolfIdea, you know how each individual component of the new Atlas V tank has paint switches, like the tank itself, the raceways, the LOX line, and the avionics unit? What about doing something similar for the Saturn parts? Like, you can switch between white paint, Atlas-style copper, or SOFI, and switch between the black roll stripes. At the moment it's either white with roll stripes, all white, or SOFI/copper with roll stripes.

Also, whoever maintains the all white Saturn patch, the paint switch for the 4.25m adapter is broken.

Paint switches like that need to be set up in the modelling phase, so it depends on how the current models are set up already.

And I'm not sure what the "all white Saturn patch" is, is it a 3rd party patch?

42 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

Yeah, I tried doing that, but still no luck.

While some nose dive is expected and even a bit desired for separation ... at what speed are you releasing the X-15 perhaps you're too slow? Maybe trimming up before the release can help you mitigate some of the excessive nosedive.

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

Paint switches like that need to be set up in the modelling phase, so it depends on how the current models are set up already.

And I'm not sure what the "all white Saturn patch" is, is it a 3rd party patch?

If I recall, the Saturn tanks are mostly single meshes for each length switch. I might be able to split them into separate tank walls and stringer sections.

@Rodgerthe all-white switch was made by... someone else, recently. I could've sworn I uploaded it to GH but I'm not seeing it anywhere so maybe I'm just going senile in my old age.

2 hours ago, hugoraider said:

Is it just me, or does the X-15 have a tendency to dive to the ground when air launched?

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

56 minutes ago, Gupyzer0 said:

While some nose dive is expected and even a bit desired for separation ... at what speed are you releasing the X-15 perhaps you're too slow? Maybe trimming up before the release can help you mitigate some of the excessive nosedive.

Early on, we had reports of some unexpected lift/drag issues with the X-15 which only occurred when air-launching it from under the wing of another craft. We'll have to look into it more - I also feel like my X-15 was uncontrollable and dropping like a rock after release.

2 hours ago, Gupyzer0 said:

I'm releasing it at about 250 m/s from 8,000 m with the nose pointing up, but it inevitably pitches down.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Early on, we had reports of some unexpected lift/drag issues with the X-15 which only occurred when air-launching it from under the wing of another craft. We'll have to look into it more - I also feel like my X-15 was uncontrollable and dropping like a rock after release.

Yeah, I can confirm. I'm launching it with the C-5 btw.

30 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

I'm releasing it at about 250 m/s from 8,000 m with the nose pointing up, but it inevitably pitches down.

Yeah, I can confirm. I'm launching it with the C-5 btw.

Can you upload your craft file? And list the other required mods? FAR and or AA? And if you have TS what version?

Edited by Rodger

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think I can confirm the X-15 will nose down after decouple... if SAS is not active.  If SAS is active, it'll nose down some, but then stabilize letting you switch to it and light the candle.  It loses a bit of altitude but as you can see in my C-5 screenshots, I didn't lose much and this may be safer for the carrier vehicle as well.

So what I've found:

I'll start with Atmospheric Autopilot on to make flying the whole assembly nice and easy and get to max altitude (About 8.6 km with the K-5 in KSRSS at the moment). 
I'll then switch to SAS turning off AA (I'm using FlyByWire SAS Mode by GotMachine to make this easier)(AA and MechJeb SAS don't stay on for decoupled craft from what I've experienced)
I'll then decouple the X-15, and it will lose altitude, but then it will stabilize and not become a lawn dart.
I switch to it and can turn AA back on, light the candle, and then nose up gently, impressing the Kerbals in the K-5

22 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

Sure thing, here you go

Only other mod used is ConformalDecals.

You might want to put that in a spoiler (the eye button in the post editor) haha

32 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

Sure thing, here you go:

[snip]

Only other mod used is ConformalDecals.

Hey, sorry to inform you that the file is too large to post directly here. Please host it somewhere else and link to it. 

I'd also recommend trying again with TS Rescaled instead of your current version of TS:

Remove 999_KSP-Recall folder, 999_Scale_Redist.dll, TweakScale folder, ModuleManagerWatchDog folder, _LOCAL folder, and 666_ModuleManagerWatchDog.dll from GameData, and install this one instead:

It should be craft-safe to update to Rescaled from old TS. I think TweakScaleCompanion should also be removed as it isn't needed with TS:R.

Edited by Rodger

11 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Hey, sorry to inform you that the file is too large to post directly here. Please host it somewhere else and link to it. 

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

13 minutes ago, Rodger said:

I'd also recommend trying again with TS Rescaled instead of your current version of TS:

Remove 999_KSP-Recall folder, 999_Scale_Redist.dll, TweakScale folder, ModuleManagerWatchDog folder, _LOCAL folder, and 666_ModuleManagerWatchDog.dll from GameData, and install this one instead:

It should be craft-safe to update to Rescaled from old TS.

So it should fix the problem?

22 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

So it should fix the problem?

Not 100% sure, but I just tested your craft file with TS:R and it seemed fine.

Edited by Rodger

6 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

B-52? C-5?

Thanks but no thanks. I choose a REAL JET for REAL MAN, not some mom's minivans.

SSmtBbf.png

Nice build, but I'm gonna have to dock points for referring to the B52 as "Mom's minivan":sticktongue:.

33 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Nice build, but I'm gonna have to dock points for referring to the B52 as "Mom's minivan":sticktongue:

B-52: BUFF, turtles run circles around it, carries more stuff than your local supermarket, seats 6, can serve several generations.

B-58: most beautiful bomber ever made, goes at Mach 2 by design, carries an external nuke pod with rocket engine that was later used for upper stage on a number of space launchers (okay, it actually didn't, but still!), seats 3 in personal escape pods that were tested on live bears who survived the ordeal. PERSONAL ESCAPE PODS. Tested on BEARS. You can't get more manly than that.

However, you're partially right - B-52 carries less stuff than C-5... so let's designate it as a mom's station wagon.

Edited by biohazard15