[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

23 hours ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

For now, I've removed the mod (plus all the other mods that depended on it) from my GameData folder via CKAN, though only after I made backups of all those mods beforehand for archiving (like I did during my Starbound modding days).

Personally, trimming this mod down won't be as easy for me as anyone reading this might at 1st think, since while I may not care all that much about most parts (such as, in general, engines, fuel tanks, aerodynamic surfaces, structural parts, command pods, probe cores, etc.), one notable exception would be the science experiments. Those I personally enjoy quite a bit, and I'm hoping to port them over to a new derivative mod that I'd like to keep for myself... for now.

Or just, like, uninstall everything but BDB because it's such an amazing mod. I can't remember the last time I played KSP without it.

@CobaltWolfAre the Seasat parts still in development?

17 hours ago, cornchev said:

You can expedite the process of finding science parts you want to save by creating a copy of bdb and using a batch (.bat) file to rename .cfg files to .txt files in the copy, so that it's easier to search. or maybe theres a file  manager that won't mind reading the content .cfg files. I use this .bat file:

@ECHO OFF
PUSHD .
FOR /R %%d IN (.) DO (
cd "%%d"
IF EXIST *.cfg (
REN *.cfg *.txt
)
)
POPD

From there, you can look in Bluedog_DB\Resources\ to see the science experiments the mod adds and search for them in the parts folders

Notepad++ can just search inside all cfg files in a dir

4 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Or just, like, uninstall everything but BDB because it's such an amazing mod. I can't remember the last time I played KSP without it.

And miss out on other gameplay-changing mods like Real Solar System, Tac Life Support, TweakScale, Procedural Parts, Ferram Aerospace, Airships, Sink'Em All, AtomicTech, and the Near Future and Far Future mods (just to name a scant few)? No thank you!:D

Personally, as much as I enjoy Bluedog Design Bureau for how well-polished and expansive it is in terms of what parts it has to offer, I feel that it's more like an expansion of the same old parts that are on offer in stock KSP + its expansions, and not something really game-changing like the mods that I've mentioned before (besides making use of cryogenic engines, which is also common with many other parts mods out there). Therefore, if I would've had to drop some mods to get the game to load instead of crashing due to running out of memory, I'd much rather drop BDB than any of the other mods that I've mentioned before.

Like I mentioned before, I'm personally looking out for more science experiments. However, what I might've forgotten to mention before is that I'm actually looking for more tasks to do in general beyond what the base game has to offer (in addition to doing more science experiments), such as colonizing space and exploring other star systems besides the home star system. I'm also looking for new gameplay challenges, such as dealing with the kinds of challenges that would've come with exploring a real-life-scaled home system, from exploring a real-scale solar system (which was why I had picked up Real Solar System), managing life support systems beyond the surface of the homeworld, and dealing with stuff that'll gradually break down over time (such as RTGs gradually growing weaker over time as their radioactive power source decays, or solar panels gradually growing weaker due to being exposed to too much solar radiation over time).

On 3/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I don't think we've added stuff to the Science folder since... back before BDB was a dedicated historical rocketry mod :P

How interesting. Were there any thoughts among the dev team about splitting this mod into multiple smaller mods for a more a-la carte style (like with the Near Future Mods)?

Edited by Shadow Wolf TJC
Forgot to add emoji to suggest tone for the post.

12 minutes ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

Personally, as much as I enjoy Bluedog Design Bureau for how well-polished and expansive it is in terms of what parts it has to offer, I feel that it's more like an expansion of the same old parts that are on offer in stock KSP + its expansions, and not something really game-changing like the mods that I've mentioned before (besides making use of cryogenic engines, which is also common with many other parts mods out there). Therefore, if I would've had to drop some mods to get the game to load instead of crashing due to running out of memory, I'd much rather drop BDB than any of the other mods that I've mentioned before.

Yeah, BDB was never meant to add new functionality to the game - I'm an artist, not a coder, so we've only been able to take advantage of functionality that's in the stock game or comes from one of our few dependencies.

14 minutes ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

Like I mentioned before, I'm personally looking out for more science experiments.

The science experiments can't even be broken out into their own mod. Most of them use texture sheets which also contain all the other textures for the associated probes/crafts. You'd still need massive textures for parts that are only using small portions of them.

12 minutes ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

How interesting. Were there any thoughts among the dev team about splitting this mod into multiple smaller mods for a more a-la carte style (like with the Near Future Mods)?

Not happening, sorry. The last thing I want to spend my free time doing is repackaging and reuploading and other busywork. I enjoy making stuff, what people do with it after I release it into the wild is up to them.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, BDB was never meant to add new functionality to the game - I'm an artist, not a coder, so we've only been able to take advantage of functionality that's in the stock game or comes from one of our few dependencies.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not happening, sorry. The last thing I want to spend my free time doing is repackaging and reuploading and other busywork. I enjoy making stuff, what people do with it after I release it into the wild is up to them.

Understandable X2. I've experienced those kinds of issues before when modding other games. :)

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The science experiments can't even be broken out into their own mod. Most of them use texture sheets which also contain all the other textures for the associated probes/crafts. You'd still need massive textures for parts that are only using small portions of them.

I see. I suppose that exporting all of those textures that would've been shared among a wide variety of different parts to a "BDB core mod", which the other "BDB parts mods" would've needed to use as a dependency, would've been out of the question (at least for you)?

11 hours ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

I suppose that exporting all of those textures that would've been shared among a wide variety of different parts to a "BDB core mod", which the other "BDB parts mods" would've needed to use as a dependency, would've been out of the question (at least for you)?

Basically the only such texture (ie shared among multiple parts) would be the glow from the insides of some engine bells lol

As it is, the way it’s currently set up with pruneable part family folders, is basically the same functionality already. Just remove rocket family folders like atlas/titan/saturn and leave stuff like probes/apollo/skylab and you’ll be left with a lot of the science with a lot less parts overall. 

Edited by Rodger

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

KMAmsVA.png

WAIT WAIT WAIT WOT!  LANDING GEARS!

Who gave you permission to make LANDING GEARS :D

OK Joking aside (and probably an inside joke to many people reading this now-a-days)  This looks Effing AWESOME!   Love the work.   Now B-70 Carrier when? :D

6 hours ago, Jebs Piloting Skills said:

Hey, I have a problem, My parts keep saying the real name even though I deleted all files associated with real names.

does anybody know how to fix this? 

Search your GameData folder for any instance of 'RealNames.cfg' and remove, otherwise will need a KSP.log to diagnose.

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

Atlas E/F

eX11Ti6.png

EfKRTAq.jpg

M9cZ0a1.png

wYrsBWB.png

Are these gonna be added in line with the existing Atlas parts or are they replacing the old set? (and I apologize if this has been answered previously, just want to be sure).

I once asked in the Kerbalism thread but unfortunately nobody there could help:

Does anyone have current BDB-configs for Kerbalism? Especially Science? Skyhawk Science System has some but unfortunately inflatable habitats don't work anymore and there are some more problems in combination with Kerbalism. Unfortunately @CessnaSkyhawk is currently not active.

4 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Are these gonna be added in line with the existing Atlas parts or are they replacing the old set? (and I apologize if this has been answered previously, just want to be sure).

Replacement. The Atlas parts are the oldest rocket parts in the mod, the aim here to revamp, replace and expand on those parts. We consider the Titan revamp to be point at which the current art style and standard to have been established. Pretty much everything made since then can be considered "final". The Atlas parts are older.

(sidenote although the SLV-3X Fatlas parts are technically newer, they were made to match the older parts so they will need to be redone too).

32 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Replacement. The Atlas parts are the oldest rocket parts in the mod, the aim here to revamp, replace and expand on those parts. We consider the Titan revamp to be point at which the current art style and standard to have been established. Pretty much everything made since then can be considered "final". The Atlas parts are older.

(sidenote although the SLV-3X Fatlas parts are technically newer, they were made to match the older parts so they will need to be redone too).

Does the revamp include the Atlas V parts?

38 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Does the revamp include the Atlas V parts?

32 minutes ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

I'm pretty sure yeah, since Atlas V parts are also old

As per current plans, Invaderchaos will tackle Atlas V separately when he has the time to do so.  My work is focused on the classic balloon tank models up to Atlas III. The RD180 has been modelled with the Atlas III mount and I will make the Atlas V mount after coordinating with Invader when its being developed.