[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

23 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Nice album GoldForest!   I have One question and one comment.

Question:  Did you intend to land on the island field or is that a result of an overshoot?  I see you heading BACK towards KSC on the vanilla Kerbin planet (regardless of any re-scale)?

Comment:  Well it is the same as Guest10985:  https://imgur.com/a/zuK3dHi

:P

Post-script,  Did the ventral fin not survive re-entry (I see it in some pictures and missing at the end)?

Thanks!

Answer 1: I intended to fly back to KSC, but overshot, tried to burn back, ran out of fuel, and instead tried and succeeded in an island landing. 

Comment: Don't diss C-8... lest I unleash its wrath. :mad: :P But, tbf, C-8 with the S-IV and S-V on top of it is kind of ridiculous. Especially the solar panel pods not quite fitting on S-IV, but I wanted to ensure electricity for the trip without the use of batteries, so.... 

Answer 2: The Ventral did survive reentry.  You can see it in the post reentry shots. I just ditched it so it wouldn't break on landing due to bounce or whatever, should that have occurred. Most of the parts have 5500K temp limit, and I think the Ventral is one of them. Though, the 2500K parts don't reach their limit, so it had nothing to worry about. 

8iga85J.jpeg

pkXPP6E.png

PNeQNkO.jpeg

Edited by GoldForest

On 4/29/2024 at 7:02 AM, Entr8899 said:

@(cobaltwolf) Unrelated, but is there any chance you could add a white switch for the Saturn vernier engines so they can be used for other rockets without looking odd? I'd be very grateful :cool:

OLv3xnd.png

Saturn has verniers?

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Mercury needed an Atlas and could survive re-entry.

X-15 (apparently) needed a Saturn C-8 and could not survive re-entry.

I wonder why we went with Mercury? :mellow:

No no, I can see where Goldforest is going, I got an alternative plan someone could use the X-15 on the C-8, Idea courtesy of our friends of the USAF.

220px-LunexSpacecraft.png

Someone could use the X-15 to do their own version of LUNEX or atleast use it as a lifeboat to the CSM incase the LEM breaks down. However you may need to have your Kerbals draw straws on who will go.

Edited by Pudgemountain

32 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

The alt-history Saturn IB with a single F1, and the stage-and-a-half S-IC use big vernier engines for roll control.

This sounds absolutely weird and I love it. Need more stage-and-a-half designs in my life. Got any links/examples of this?

18 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

This sounds absolutely weird and I love it. Need more stage-and-a-half designs in my life. Got any links/examples of this?

...It's in the mod lol. I have no idea if it's from an alt-history thing or just Cobaltwolf's own imagination, but it's just a Saturn V skirt that drops off, leaving only the central F1. I think it's supposed to have an S-IVB instead of an S-II or something.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Comparing LEO and a lunar flyby feels a little unfair!

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

X-15 did survive reentry, whatcha talkin about?

3 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

So I took @AdrianDogmeat's mole hill (the idea of putting centaur on proton) and turned it into a mountain.

I present Proton Centaur "Calliope"

Thanks, I hate it. 

7 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

...It's in the mod lol. I have no idea if it's from an alt-history thing or just Cobaltwolf's own imagination, but it's just a Saturn V skirt that drops off, leaving only the central F1. I think it's supposed to have an S-IVB instead of an S-II or something.

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Saturn-II

If you can think of it, you can  bet NASA thought of it.  They had some truly bonkers paper concepts.

8 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

OHHH you're talking about the Saturn V-B. I thought you meant there was a stage and a half version of the Saturn 1 that someone came up with.

6 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

Why the side boosters-

12/10

Because I'm Batman. Wait, no, wrong script...
I learnt years ago that those weird protrusions on Proton's side are not boosters, so I decided to provide actual boosters, and Delta's were within the right size category...sort of.

2 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

@CobaltWolfHey, I just noticed the Ablestar engine's attach node is incorrect, it's too low in the engine so it causes it to clip into the fuel tank.

Are you using the right attach node? There's two on the fuel tank and they can  be finicky 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LoadingTimeExpert said:

Are you using the right attach node? There's two on the fuel tank and they can  be finicky 

Yes, the engine's node is in the middle of the engine, definitely not where it's supposed to be. It's been like this for a while too.

Edited by Entr8899

Initial upload of first phase of Atlas stuff on github now. As always usual caveats apply, things might be broken, balance is WIP etc. Build guides etc will come soon.

7DZDkOc.png

j9YsvwP.png

zD5TPoH.png

LT2LiQy.png

po7Z5Fh.png

omTnnqd.png

Ex4nRN6.png

y7ng6ax.png

mXTSU7R.png

vtfBrKo.png

CplzoKY.png

CplzoKY.png

32 minutes ago, LoadingTimeExpert said:

Looks good to me

(I don't know how to post images directly)

No, it's not right. The red line is where the engine's node is supposed to be, but the node is roughly at the green line.

Screenshot_1.png?ex=6634027a&is=6632b0fa

Here's what the node looks like

Screenshot_5.png?ex=66340372&is=6632b1f2

When you attach the engine to something, it's way up inside

Screenshot_6.png?ex=66340372&is=6632b1f2

I manually adjusted the engine to be where it should be, if you compare this image to the one you posted you can see the engine is supposed to stick out lower.

Screenshot_4.png?ex=66340200&is=6632b080

29 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

No, it's not right. The red line is where the engine's node is supposed to be, but the node is roughly at the green line.

Screenshot_1.png?ex=6634027a&is=6632b0fa

Here's what the node looks like

Screenshot_5.png?ex=66340372&is=6632b1f2

When you attach the engine to something, it's way up inside

Screenshot_6.png?ex=66340372&is=6632b1f2

I manually adjusted the engine to be where it should be, if you compare this image to the one you posted you can see the engine is supposed to stick out lower.

Screenshot_4.png?ex=66340200&is=6632b080

I guess it does, idk anymore. Both look "good enough" to me when I compare it to the wiki images

16 hours ago, Zorg said:

Initial upload of first phase of Atlas stuff on github now. As always usual caveats apply, things might be broken, balance is WIP etc. Build guides etc will come soon.

My reaction when i saw the GitHub files

8or0k7.jpg

8or0zh.jpg

TITAN 3A

The Lincoln Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology produced a series of communications test satellites in the mid to late 1960's. These craft were intended to test out techniques and technology for future military communications satellites, and thus the effort was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force. At about the time that the first two sats were being completed the Air Force was putting into service the Titan 3 program which was supposed to be a standardized, flexible, and low-cost space launch vehicle. The initial version was the Titan 3A, which consisted of a Titan II core vehicle structurally strengthened to handle the coming side mounted solid rocket boosters, topped by a new upper stage called the Transtage. The first two flights did not carry a payload and were intended to test the new Transtage third stage. The third flight carried the first Lincoln satellite, but it was not entirely successful due to a fault in the Star 13 kick motor attached to the satellite.

EA4RmMp.jpeg

On May 6, 1965 the fourth and final test flight of the Titan 3A took place from LC-20 at Cape Canaveral. Further flights of the 3A were not needed as the program was moving on to the SRM boosted Titan 3C. The payload for this mission was the second Lincoln Experimental Satellite (LES-2), and a simple radar calibration spacecraft, a reflective sphere named the Lincoln Calibration Satellite (LCS-1). Launch, liftoff, and the flight through staging went well. The Transtage inserted itself and the payload into a 1200 km parking orbit.

Spoiler

lRs4X8m.jpeg

wZ9N2TV.jpeg

gf9TvmT.jpeg

Qg0OqMG.png

JYUHEqu.png

33vWvYQ.png

On0yexA.png

IwpG2RX.jpeg

After insertion into orbit, LCS-1 was released, followed shortly after by LES-2 and its Star 13 kick motor. The kick motor pushed LES-1 into an elliptical orbit where it extended its antennas and began its mission. LES-2 is long dead, but LCS-1 is the oldest spacecraft still in use, regularly being pinged by military defense radars so that they can be properly calibrated.

Spoiler

ILisSV2.png

HTkq9Pp.png

4S9ryeY.jpeg

gWYTyly.jpeg

My kitbash of the LES used a Coatl Toreka core, with stock solar panels and structural elements around it. I picked a variety of antennas to give it some functionality. Admittedly it is a bit bigger than real life, as I am not well versed in scaling. The LCS sphere is a Near Future tank with a radial decoupler attached to it, which was rather difficult to get in the right spot on the SAF fairing base. I love the utility of the Agena, but the Transtage is a handy little upper stage with a lot of capability, and it looks cool in its stubby way. All in all a fun build, showcasing a little-known Titan variant. Now, onto @Zorg's new Atlas stuff! Can't wait! 

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 2:39 AM, Entr8899 said:

@CobaltWolfHey, I just noticed the Ablestar engine's attach node is incorrect, it's too low in the engine so it causes it to clip into the fuel tank.

I've fixed this and it's on dev branch now, thanks

Edited by Rodger