[Kopernicus]Kerbol Origins - A revival of the original SQUAD planet ideas and more!

amarius1

OafILo3.jpgaZggJJX.jpg

Welcome to Kerbol Origins, a mod that aims to revive old SQUAD planet ideas that never got implemented like the Gas Planet Two (GP2). Previously called Kerbol Plus, the mod evolved from a form that wasn't actually too accurate to the idea. Kerbol Plus is right now mentained and developed by KillAshley and his collaborators, including me.

Some important links:

Original Kerbol Plus

Kerbol Plus Remake

Kopernicus

But without without further ado, some pictures! :wink:

Also, most of the bodies in the pack will be "proceduraly generated", so with a bit of tinckering you could regenerate the terrain the way you want.

Sarvin - Gas Planet Two

Spoiler

• Detailed rings taken straight from its Saturn counterpart
  • 5 moons, all representing Nova Silisko's ideas (former dev in charge for planets)
  • Original GP2 texture, obtained from old SQUAD sneak peeks

Daphy

Spoiler

• Is made of fluffy dust that was partially blown over by tectonic forces exited by its close orbit around Sarvin, revealing purple-gray rocky ridges
  • It is composed mostly of material gathered from Sarvin's rings and larger bodies orbiting close to its rings
  • Has a thin atmosphere composed of dust in suspension
  • Has rare canyons where deposited dust makes your ship "float"
  • "Proceduraly generated" terrain

Potatus

Spoiler

• Composed mostly of rock covered with a smooth, thin layer of fluff
  • Is oblate. If on Daphy tidal forces started to crack the moon, on Potatus, they made it oblate
  • A secondary effect of the tidal forces is the appearance of a huge Cryovolcano, that has animated particles
  • Smooth, almost flat surface, with small craters here and there

Fonso

Spoiler

• This is Sarvin's largest moon
  • High tectonic activity causing the rise of multiple mountains
  • Mountain ridges that extend beyond its atmosphere
  • Thick atmosphere

Shayle

Spoiler

• Small rocky moon with no atmosphere
  • It is covered in huge craters
  • Very low gravity

Manai

Spoiler

• Has a lot of mountain ridges
  • Is covered in lava lakes
  • Thick atmosphere
  • Going at low altitudes makes everything overhead
  • Lava (if you manage to somehow not get destroyd by fiery atmosphere) will destroy everything it touches
  • Moon's dark side is lighted by lava
  • Is moon of Superkeban (Superterran) , Keelon (In-Development)

Progress

Entries marked in red mean that bodies have been started but not finished, orange are mostly finished, and green complete.

Spoiler

• Sarvin
  • Daphy
  • Potatus
  • Fonso
  • Shayle
  • Keelon
  • Manai
  • Falgas
  • Tegros
  • Nolor
  • Faz
  • Harvest
  • Pergas
  • Valit
  • Vix
  • Ganag-Kal Barycenter
  • Kralaus
  • Corolet
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements (EVE) intergration
  • Career and Science mode intergration
  • Biomes
  • Custom science defs
  • Mod integration

Developers:

Spoiler

@amarius1 - Creator and Lead Developer

@Olympic1 - Major Developer and mod integration

@TheWhiteGuardian - EVE integration, science defs, and small tweaks

@legoclone09 - Tester

Planned release date: @Christmas

(release date might be sooner or later, depending on my IRL stuff)

Edited by amarius1
Added legoclone09 to developer section!

Hmm... I could write some science defenitions for you if you'd like.

Well, good! I just need a few days to completely finish the Sarvin system so I can start coordinating you and Olympic1. I don't want to end up choosing between 2 things you two made. I would rather spread the things between you. You take tweaks, extra ideas and EVE intergration, and Olympic takes .dds conversion, science defs and biomes. I might give you some of the science defs trough... But keep in mind that THEY ARE A LOT!

Looking forward to seeing the improvements into the new updated system. Hoping the updates also mean less frame death when near that comet.

e: dawns on me, why sit on my butt when I could offer to chip in with some science dbrefs too! Unless you'd rather just have the one person working on that rather than some guy you don't know.

Looking forward to seeing the improvements into the new updated system. Hoping the updates also mean less frame death when near that comet.

e: dawns on me, why sit on my butt when I could offer to chip in with some science dbrefs too! Unless you'd rather just have the one person working on that rather than some guy you don't know.

Well, let me think about it for a few days... I will give you some science defs for some dwarf planets in the pack, when they're ready, to see what you're capable of. They need to sound stockalike, since we're going for an as stockalike as possible (not old!!) look on the pack.

It will indeed include a comet. I am in charge of the E.V.E support, and one of the things I am adding is surface dust. On the comet, don't be surprised to see dust and gas flying by...

Awesome! Keep up the good work, friend... BTW new moon album in OP.

MAJOR DESIGN CHANGE:

Fonso will now present cracks filled with lava, and a big volcano that spews lava.

Cheers!

I don't think that'd be a good idea. As awesome as it sounds, you underlined that Kerbol Origins was supposed to reflect Nova's ideas several times, and lava and volcanoes were not in his design. His design was basically Duna with Eve's atmosphere and high mountains, not a dense atmospheric world with lots of volcanoes.

When I read what Nova wrote about Fonso, I see a world that is light blue/grey in colour with many high mountains. Many, many high mountains. Not a world with many lava rivers. Nevertheless, it's your mod, but if your wish is to stick to Nova's ideas, then I don't think Fonso should be given lava.

I think Manai is enough lava for me.

I don't think that'd be a good idea. As awesome as it sounds, you underlined that Kerbol Origins was supposed to reflect Nova's ideas several times, and lava and volcanoes were not in his design. His design was basically Duna with Eve's atmosphere and high mountains, not a dense atmospheric world with lots of volcanoes.

When I read what Nova wrote about Fonso, I see a world that is light blue/grey in colour with many high mountains. Many, many high mountains. Not a world with many lava rivers. Nevertheless, it's your mod, but if your wish is to stick to Nova's ideas, then I don't think Fonso should be given lava.

I think Manai is enough lava for me.

Yeah, good idea. Welp, I guess I'll make Fonso grey-pale-blue then... I also need to make its atmosphere somewhere between Duna and Kerbin. And more mountains...

Yeah, good idea. Welp, I guess I'll make Fonso grey-pale-blue then... I also need to make its atmosphere somewhere between Duna and Kerbin. And more mountains...

amarius, do I have permission to give Keelon's atmosphere proper pressure keys? 'Cause in that case I can start fixing Keelon's clouds. I'll make the atmosphere 115000m high with a pressure of 2.2atm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.