Regional airliner challenge

Pds314

I've noticed a distinct lack of a worthy regional airliner or business jet in stock KSP. I mean, the Velociteze is set up to be okay, but then they went and put empty fuselage where the crew cabins should be. Instead of 7 passengers, it seats three.

This being the case, we could always just convert the Velociteze, but I think we can do better. Your goal in this challenge is to construct an airliner which flies by using 2 x J-90 "Juno" engines, and can transport as many Kerbals as possible to the Island runway, land, stop, take off from that runway, and return to KSC for a runway landing.

Rules:

• The craft should not require parachutes for either landing.
  • Please don't go too slowly. Times are limited to 20:00 and under.
  • You must FULLY stop on both runways. You must post screenshots of both landings at a speed <1.0 m/s in order to qualify.
  • You must not lose any parts during the mission.
  • Kerbals value comfort and safety on their flights. Please use conventional passenger fuselages and cockpits, nobody in lawn chairs or crammed in a passenger bay.
  • Don't cheat.
  • Any modded parts or mods that affect game physics must be mentioned in your submission.

Bonus goals:

• The amazing flying boat: perform this challenge with a craft capable of landing and taking off from the ocean.
  • It does everything: perform this challenge with a craft capable of submerging itself to a depth of 200 meters and taking off from the water.
  • Who needs another engine? Prove you can complete this challenge with the same aircraft, but with one of the engines disabled. This need not be on your main submission.
  • Broken windows: go supersonic during your flight.
  • Greener than thou: Use under 2 liquid fuel per passenger during the entire trip.
  • Smooth sailing: use Kerbal Engineer to measure G-force. Keep the KER G-force under 2.0 G.
  • Desk Jockey: use an autopilot mod.
  • These things fly themselves: Use KOS (or whatever you want) and run the entire flight autonomously. That means no keyboard input once you start moving.
  • Fuel to spare: show that you can complete the challenge on only 20% of your original fuel. This need not be on your main submission.
  • They said it was impossible: perform the entire run in under 8 minutes.

Scoreboard:

1. michal.don, in the Thingy1 biplane. 36 passenger capacity.

2. JWS, in Dumbo. 30 passenger capacity.

3. Pds314, in the Kerbojet M3. 26 passenger capacity.

4. zolotiyeruki, in the very weird plane with huge Canards. 22 passenger capacity. [
    Greener Than Thou
    ] [
    Desk Jockey
    ] [
    Fuel To Spare
    ]

5. KerrMü, in the Concordette. 9 passenger capacity. [
    They said it was impossible
    ]

6. Draconiator, in the Jebworks JB-1SS Skywrangler Super Stretch. 9 passenger capacity.

7. GDJ, in the Avro Aeronautics Execuglide MK1. 7 passenger capacity. [
    ] [
    Balanced .cfg-edited shock intakes
    ]

8. Darth Lazarus, in the LazTec Businessjet. 7 passenger capacity.

9. Kokanee, in the Kerbardier Challenger 950 Business Jet. 7 passenger capacity.

10. Spudrotuskutarsu, in the Northerntechnologies Twinfire. 6 passenger capacity. [
    ]

11. Batz_10K, in the Kerbojet 200 long range regional airliner. 6 passenger capacity.

12. zolotiyeruki in the Regional jet fast. 5 passenger capacity. [
    ] [
    Desk Jockey
    ]

13. Robet.G, in a Delta-canard transonic thing. 5 passenger capacity. [
    ] [
    Desk Jockey
    ]

14. ExtremeTrader in the Mk-1 CrapPlane. 5 passenger capacity. [
    ] [
    Ferram Aerospace Research
    ]

15. Friethjoph, in the Hummingbird V2. 5 passenger capacity. [
    ]

16. PineCone, in their, um, "airliner". 3 passenger capacity. [
    Fuel To Spare
    ]

Fastest with at least 5 passengers:

1. zolotiyeruki in the Regional jet fast. 5:39.
    [
    ] [
    Desk Jockey
    ]

2. Robet.G, in a Delta-canard transonic thing.
    Completion in 6:00.
    [
    ] [
    Desk Jockey
    ]

3. ExtremeTrader in the Mk-1 CrapPlane. Completion in 6:36.
    [
    ] [
    ]

4. Spudrotuskutarsu, in the Northerntechnologies Twinfire. Completion in 6:53. [
    ]

5. KerrMü, in the Concordette. Completion in 6:55. [
    ]

6. GDJ, in the Avro Aeronautics Execuglide MK1. Completion in 7:06. [
    ] [
    ]

7. Friethjoph, in the Hummingbird V2. 7:23 [
    ]

8. Darth Lazarus, in the LazTec Businessjet. 8:37.

9. Draconiator, in the Jebworks JB-1SS Skywrangler Super Stretch. Completion in 10:24.

10. zolotiyeruki, in the very weird plane with huge Canards. Completion in 10:32. [
    Greener Than Thou
    ] [
    Desk Jockey
    ] [
    Fuel To Spare
    ]

11. Kokanee, in the Kerbardier Challenger 950 Business Jet. Completion in 12:12

12. Pds314, in the Kerbojet M3. Completed in 13:29

13. Batz_10K, in the Kerbojet 200 long range regional airliner. Completion in 15:12 (got out and walked around).

14. JWS, in Dumbo. Completion in 17:13

15. michal.don, in the Thingy1 biplane. Completion in 19:08

Lowest fuel consumption per passenger:

1. zolotiyeruki, in the very weird plane with huge Canards. 1.78 U/passenger
    [
    Greener Than Thou
    ] [
    Desk Jockey
    ] [
    Fuel To Spare
    ]

2. Pds314, in the Kerbojet M3. 2.96 U/passenger

3. JWS, in Dumbo. 3.23 U/passenger.

4. KerrMü, in the Concordette. 4.38 U/passenger [
    ]

5. GDJ, in the Avro Aeronautics Execuglide MK1. 5.49 U/passenger. [
    ] [
    ]

6. Darth Lazarus, in the LazTec Businessjet. 5.86 U/passenger

7. Kokanee, in the Kerbardier Challenger 950 Business Jet. 7.79 U/passenger

8. Batz_10K, in the Kerbojet 200 long range regional airliner. 12.03 U/passenger

9. ExtremeTrader in the Mk-1 CrapPlane. 13.38 U/passenger! [
    ] [
    ]

N/A. michal.don, in the Thingy1 biplane. Estimated ~5 U/passenger.

N/A. Draconiator, in the Jebworks JB-1SS Skywrangler Super Stretch. Estimated ~6 U/passenger

N/A. Spudrotuskutarsu, in the Northerntechnologies Twinfire. Estimated ~6 U/passenger

N/A. Friethjoph, in the Hummingbird V2. Estimated ~7 U/passenger

N/A. Robet.G, in a Delta-canard transonic thing. Estimated ~7 U/passenger. [
] [
Desk Jockey
]

N/A. zolotiyeruki in the Regional jet fast. Estimated ~7 U/passenger. [
] [
Desk Jockey
]

N/A. PineCone, in their, um, "airliner". Estimated ~20 U/passenger. [
Fuel To Spare
]

- - - Updated - - -

Got none of the bonus goals, but I got 26 passengers with a round-trip of 13:29 on 77 units of fuel.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Pds314

For the 20 minute limit, is that round-trip time including taxiiing at the island runway to ready for a new takeoff, or is that a one-way measure? (And I assume it's 20 minutes in game-clock time not realtime (i.e. no fair using 4x physics warp to effectively make it more like a 60 minute limit.))

For the 20 minute limit, is that round-trip time including taxiiing at the island runway to ready for a new takeoff, or is that a one-way measure? (And I assume it's 20 minutes in game-clock time not realtime (i.e. no fair using 4x physics warp to effectively make it more like a 60 minute limit.))

Yes. 20 in-game with taxiing included. basically, your MET should be below 20 minutes. It behoves you to not take up the entire length of the island runway in order to land, or to have a plane you can turn around.

Well, then I present the Hummingbird - a monowing-no Rudder design. Piloting it is a bit awkward, as it has real problems with even a tiny misalignment sideways for the missing rudder.

[URL]http://imgur.com/a/sMx6n[/URL]

And the Hummingbird v2 - the same but with a fixed rudder. With the better maneuvering, landing is much easier, cutting the flight time down a bit. In an extra tour back to the Island runway, I tested out the capabilities: Trasporting up to 4 passengers, it is not able to pierce the sound barrier. As I didn't bother to remove it, it can be seen in the v3, standing next to the tower...

[URL]http://imgur.com/a/xQo3W[/URL]

And here's the express v3, an excellent combination of speed and maneuverability, but not in terms of transportation capacity (2 Passengers), and it is just 50 m/s short of Mach 1.

[URL="http://imgur.com/a/W9OTs"]http://imgur.com/a/W9OTs
[/URL]
6:33, 1 crew, 2 passengers. Fuel consumption was ungodly, about half of the fuel got consumed.... Edited by Friethjoph

[quote name='SpaceplaneAddict']Maybe 2 leaderboards are in order? One for fastest time under 20 min, one for most Kerbs w/ 2 Juno jets?[/QUOTE]

Done. Although the challenge is primarily about getting the passengers back and forth.

I have a new plane. My mouse batteries just died, so I need to replace them before I can get a good run. So far, 17 passengers, 10 minutes even, and a bit under 48 units of fuel. Edited by Pds314

[quote name='nigelvn']he didn't state, it had to be peer reviewed...

anyway, I'm surprised no one has tried it with mk3 parts yet[/QUOTE]

I shudder to think of the logistics of landing a 100 tonne aircraft on a dirt runway less than 1/3 of it's minimum required length.

I did it with a time of 6:53 and 6 passengers!, with my Northerntechnologies Twinfire passenger jet

Youtube video:
[video=youtube;N2zacOdPToE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2zacOdPToE[/video]

Imgur:
[imgur]WH8or[/imgur]

.Craft link (with all iterations)
[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfu55l3nulfk0oi/NorthernTechnologies%20Twinfire.rar?dl=0[/url]

Hey guys, here is my entry:
MK3 - based plane, with passanger capacity of 32 + 4 crew members. Flies really slow and handles just horribly, but did the job.
Anyway, a question for Pds314 - Does the pilot need to be in a crew pod, or can he fly the plane from an external seat? If I could have an external pilot seat, I think I could make a plane with even bigger capacity :)

[COLOR=#333333][imgur][/COLOR]Q9aV1[COLOR=#333333][/imgur][/COLOR]

A machine with the flight behavioristics of a pregneant walerus I assume? Slow, hard to turn, but unstoppable at what to do. Congrats for doing that in time Michal.don!
And to beating my record with proof Spud. The Flaps you built yourself there are cool. Will have to make a revision :P

Well, the walrus thing sounds about right, turning was hell on earth, and don't even let me start about the speed :) But I personally liked these flaps as well, Thanks to them it looks sort of like an "Airbus/WW I plane" hybrid, which I don't think I have seen yet. I'm looking forward to see your revised plane, and I expect something properly crazy :)

Challenge accepted in my Jebworks JB-1SS Skywrangler Super Stretch (Challenge Edition; I took an engine off -it WAS a 3-holer...and I made an entire line of 'em). do I win the award for most regional-airliner-looking plane? heh. Video sped up 4X to save time during the boring spots, and oh, listen for something.....

Total time: 10:24

Piece of debris at the island strip was from an earlier attempt. And only Jeb walked away from that one, go figure.

[video=youtube;vZIm9igTOyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZIm9igTOyA[/video]

Just a shameless plug. Once you create your airliners, feel free too put them to use in a career mode game regularly running passengers to various destinations for profit, starting with KSC Island:

Contract Pack: SSI Aerospace - Putting Aircraft to Work
[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/138997-Contract-Pack-SSI-Aerospace-0-0-4-Giving-Aircraft-a-Purpose-Air-Flights-Tours-Coast-Guard-STS[/url]

Here's my entry: 26 kerbals there and back on 47-ish units of fuel, for 1.78 fuel/passenger. Thank heavens for Pilot Assistant. Took a lot of tries to get this one right.

Instructions: (start with 54 units of fuel)
1) max throttle, get to 60m/s
2) lift off, gear up, turn to heading 123 and 1m/s climb
3) level off at 200m altitude. Unlock and invert steering on the rear gear.
4) cut off engine at 30 units of fuel left.
5) glide in and land at the island airport. Brake until you're at 15m/s, and use the remaining momentum to turn around without using engines. brake to a stop.
6) full throttle, lift off, gear up, turn to heading 303 and hold altitude
7) cut off engine at 10 fuel or so
8) glide in for a landing

[imgur]NceHv[/imgur]
I believe this counts for the "Greener than thou", "Desk Jockey", and maybe even the "Fuel to spare" bonuses, since I used less than 20% of the full capacity of my tanks. Edited by zolotiyeruki

[quote name='GDJ']I shudder to think of the logistics of landing a 100 tonne aircraft on a dirt runway less than 1/3 of it's minimum required length.[/QUOTE]

mmm, we do have thrust reverters. If I have got time later this day I will try it XD

[IMG]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/393298345474873937/C0147C603D231C414830A9CADBD631B7A3A46AE5/[/IMG]

i think my first entry from the "largest aircraft on the island" can qualify..

[COLOR=#333333]128 tons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]100 passengers + 4 crew..[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]lenght: 38m[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]width: 39m[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]2deck layout (A380-like)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]3 engines (DC10 like)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]double tail fin (antonov-like)

just need to remove the tail dc-10 style engine..

more pics
[/COLOR][URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/138839-Largest-Aircraft-to-Land-at-KSC-Island-Challenge?p=2291228&viewfull=1#post2291228"]here[/URL]

it has an ejectable rocket assisted short landing system that came out to be useless after discovering the reverse thrust of the J-90.. so it will be deleted Edited by cikho

[quote name='cikho']
i think my first entry from the "largest aircraft on the island" can qualify..
[/QUOTE]

I think it might not qualify under this primary rule:[quote] Your goal in this challenge is to construct an airliner which flies by using 2 x J-90 "Juno" engines[/quote]

[quote name='zolotiyeruki']I think it might not qualify under this primary rule:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cikho'][COLOR=#333333]just need to remove the tail dc-10 style engine..[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

:)
it does not mean it qualify as it is.. mean i'll work on the design to submit my entry (in the next couple of hours)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.