Regional airliner challenge

Pds314

[quote name='GDJ']Well, qualified or not, you landed that monster on a short runway. I shall refer to you as "Aviator certified". ;)[/QUOTE]

well, let me modify it, remove the rocket assist, and the 3rd engine and, if it performs good, then yes sir :D

[quote name='cikho']well, let me modify it, remove the rocket assist, and the 3rd engine and, if it performs good, then yes sir :D[/QUOTE]
I don't think you are understanding this correctly, the juno engine is the 0.625m part with no thrust reverser. You can't possibly power that big of a plane with two of those engines.
It isn't the 1.25m turbofan, nor the big turbofan.

[quote name='Friethjoph']No picture of landed plane on KSC Runway => Invalid.[/QUOTE]
Considering how high its top speed is, seem to be totally legit. Edited by Groot

[quote name='Groot']I don't think you are understanding this correctly, the juno engine is the 0.625m part with no thrust reverser. You can't possibly power that big of a plane with two of those engines.
It isn't the 1.25m turbofan, nor the big turbofan.[/QUOTE]

aah, crap, i saw J-90 and though it was the goliath.. my bad :(
i just posted from a pc that has imgur blocked for policy (cough work cough), so i did not have the other entries visible for comparison :(
sorry for the wrong entry

first post is misleading anyway..

[quote name='Pds314']
Your goal in this challenge is to construct an airliner which flies by using [B]2 x J-90 "Juno"[/B] engines, and can transport as many Kerbals as possible to the Island runway, land, stop, take off from that runway, and return to KSC for a runway landing.

[/QUOTE]

J-90 is the goliath, the one i used..
J-20 is the juno.. Edited by cikho

Hey folks,

here´s my entry.

XMHWKNk.png

3V1gCNa.png

Z2YGT0C.png

Plane: "Concordette"
Time: 6:55
Passengers: 9 (pilot included)
Fuel consumption: 39.46
Fuel consumption per passenger: 4.38 (rounded)
Max speed: 248m/s
Max g force: ... 5.1G ... ouch :D

And I still can´t believe I landed perfectly in the middle of the runway. :cool:

This is a fun challenge. Well thought out Pds314.

Edited by KerrMü

[quote name='Sharkman Briton']They are stock, no mods. They are new in the 1.0.5 update, as are thrust reversers and loads of awesomeness![/QUOTE]
ooohhhhh. Havent payed attention to 1.0.5.... I was told BD armory doesn't work with 1.0.5 so I didn't really look into it as im just waiting for 1.1

my plane for the challenge, based on the reallife Learjet :cool:

Plane: "LazTec Businessjet"
[URL="http://www./download/k1d9zh4s163j08k/LazTec++Businessjet.craft"]-> download <-[/URL]

Time: 8min 37sec (can be faster, i'm terrible at landings)
Passengers: 7 (pilot included)
Fuel consumption: 41 (rounded)
Fuel consumption per passenger: 5,86 (rounded)
Max speed: 252 m/s
Max g force: 4.0 G (during a test, i pulled 6 G :confused: )

[imgur]GX0Kc[/imgur]

Let's see if I still know how to use the Imgur embedding code...

The Mk-1 CrapPlane:
[IMGUR]uL1as[/IMGUR]

66.89/5 = 13,378 units of LF per Kerbal onboard (not very efficient, but I was constantly pushing the mach 1 border, where the drag gets so high that you are essentially using all your fuel for trying to stay at that speed. I might do a more efficient run, but that won't be as quick as this one.
Oh, and 'They said it was impossible!' 6:36 is below 8:00, right?

Physics-affecting mods used:
FAR

[SIZE=1]If you like it, you may download it from [URL='http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/mk-1-crapplane-regional-airliner-challenge-entry']Curse* :P[/URL] or from [URL='http://www./download/q9l8bqq6g8c4es3/CrapPlane.craft']MediaFire[/URL]

*once it's approved by a moderator :sticktongue:[/SIZE] Edited by ExtremeTrader

So I did the efficiency thing. Now I'm doing the speed thing. Note for those attempting the challenge: [i]your plane doesn't need as much lift as you think[/i].

5 Kerbals to the island and back in 5:45.

[imgur]vg0dd[/imgur]

I landed facing west on the island--that way, the turn not only kills my airspeed, it also lines me up for takeoff towards KSC. I had a couple really not-smooth landings, so I could probably shave off 15-20 seconds.
EDIT: slightly better piloting (and a lot of F9) allowed me to shave it down to 5:39 (last image in the imgur album). It slows down in a hurry, that's for sure. If I were to rearrange the landing gear to have a wider track, and learn how to do highly-banked turns (so I don't have to lose more altitude), I could probably be a bit more daring on the landings. Edited by zolotiyeruki

Hello. Here's my entry.

[IMGUR]Xngmo[/IMGUR]

[COLOR=#333333]Plane: Dumbo[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Time: 17:13[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Passengers: 2 Crews, 28 Passengers[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Fuel consumption: 97[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Fuel consumption per passenger: 3.23[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Max speed: 101m/s[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Max g force: 4.5G

Mod: No mod used.

After several attempts using Mk1 crew cabin, I gave up and return back to Mk2 parts.

It's about 23tons and I'm still surprised that 2 Juno engines can make that thing fly.

[/COLOR]

I'm trying to make an entry for my challenge, but my 38 ton aircraft has a hard time stopping on the runway and taking off. It can carry 32 passengers and I should be able to make an entry tonight. I need to replace the BigS wings with normal wings because they weight a lot more than normal wings and I only use about 100 units of fuel.

Here's my run I'm humbling submitting:

Avro Aeronautics Execuglide MK1
Crew: 1
Passengers: 6
Mass: 7.6 tonnes
Engines: Two Juno engines (as per rules)
Fuel capacity: 100 (38.44 used on this flight, 5.49 units per Kerbal used. Not real efficient, but it works! :) )
Top speed: 283.4 m/s @ 500 metres ASL
Time for challenge: 7 minutes 6 seconds, take off from KSC, landed at the island, took off and landed back at KSC (as pre rules)

The pics:
Hangar view plus crew roster
screenshot23_4.png

Take off!
screenshot24_2.png

Leaving KSC airspace, course 135, max throttle!
screenshot25_2.png

Landed at the island, and yes the engines are still hot and running! (quicker take-offs that way. Riskier for landings, but....
screenshot26_2.png

Landed back at KSC, safe and sound (albeit a few scientists are probably changing their underwear at the moment.....:P screenshot27_3.png

Disclaimer: This entire plane is stock Squad parts EXCEPT for the engine intakes. They are my own creation from Squad's Shock Cone intake, resized for the Juno engine, and adjusted for maximum airflow to the Juno's. They only increased the engine thrust by maybe 4% and increased my fuel consumption by 7%, but IMHO the engines needed all the help they can get.

Edited by GDJ

Here's my entry - The kerbojet 200 long range regional airliner

Not going for any records...

Crew: 2
Passengers: 4
Mass: 8t
Propulsion 2x Juno with 1.25m intakes

Time elapsed : 15m12s (Ok, Edmal did get out and do a walk-around at the island runway)

[imgur]uMnEA[/imgur]

ok, I went for mass kerbal transport. I call this craft the UP-01, UP standing for under powered.
I did it in 17:49, with 48 passengers + 1 crew.

It really was a race against the clock since it is a very slow plane and can only climb 1° while maintaining speed, so I had to do some slow climbs followed by some shallow dives to get a reasonable airspeed. my highest speed achieved was about 90 m/s throughout the whole trip. I have no idea how much fuel I used, I forgot to look it up but I had about 172units of liquid fuel onboard.

the plane loses airspeed with SAS on (because it is slightly unstable to keep it efficient) so I had to fly most of the time manually constantly trimming it.

Edited by Mr. Speed
fixing images

This isn't anything special, just something I put together quickly to try it out. I didn't get the exact fuel consumption, but it didn't use much.
[imgur]r1Adb[/imgur]
Plane: Stacked Snout
Time: 18:58/14:08
Weight: 9.4t
Fuel Consumption/Per Passenger: N/A
Crew: 9
G-Force: 5.7G

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.