Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-END OF CHAPTER 21! (and hopefully not so many talking heads in 22!)

Mister Dilsby

Just now, RocketSquid said:

I want cheks to be a real game... maybe I can make a cheks board with wings and structural panels.

I have a doodle of a prototype Kerbalised chess set, maybe this could become a thing.

Although I like the idea of cheks being hideously complex, perhaps played on a 10x10 or 12x12 board.

16 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

So, how does the non-violent version of chess deal with taking opposing pieces?

By rescuing them, of course!

16 hours ago, Dman979 said:

You rescue them, obviously.

But then again maybe it's not so obvious... how does it make sense that my white pod on e4 can 'rescue' your black pod on d5, and vice versa? And what about the fact that a single booster or rooc can rescue several opposing pieces? And then there's en passant capture. It's a good thing Lisa cut off the explanation before I worked myself into zugzwang!

16 hours ago, Deddly said:

I love it how you used the chess game to hint at the complete innocence of the Kerbal race. Have you seen Galaxy Quest?

Thanks! Sure I have, but I don't get the exact reference sorry. 

16 hours ago, Starhawk said:

A bit sad for the new arrivals, though.  They didn't even get to eat and somebody already has dish duty. :)

Oh, they'll eat--if Roverdude has them consuming 16.2 kg of supplies in 6 hours, they'll eat. It's just a question of who's making it. 

15 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

This is how black holes form. Impressive. 

:D Just wait until it's fully fueled...

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm Absolutely fun to watch the launches and dockings! Gonna be a fun ride. :)

Glad to hear that, thanks--I worry sometimes about that, since just about everyone launches and docks all the time and I'd hate for this story to turn into YAML.

12 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

I want cheks to be a real game... maybe I can make a cheks board with wings and structural panels.

I started to make pieces, then decided that would be such a huge project on its own i just grabbed that pic of a Bauhaus set :)

12 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I have a doodle of a prototype Kerbalised chess set, maybe this could become a thing.

Although I like the idea of cheks being hideously complex, perhaps played on a 10x10 or 12x12 board.

Oh, we have Fizzbin for that kind of complexity! Cheks is just earth chess, nothing more or less :) 

5 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Heavier than the ISS... (Appx. 420 tons)

Whoa, really? But then again ISS isn't carrying engines or fuel. Anyway, like I said just wait until I fuel it :) 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Thanks! Sure I have, but I don't get the exact reference sorry. 

I think @Deddly means the thermians were also naïve and didn't understand the concept of lying, just like kerbfleet doesn't seem to understand the concept of malicious violence to some extent (they have guards, so they do have a concept of conflict, but perhaps not using violence as a resolution?).

Edited by FyunchClick
namecheck

4 hours ago, Deddly said:

@FyunchClick got the point exactly. The Thermians were so innocent and lovable and it took them some time to understand the concept of dishonesty.

Ah, yeah that's a very good parallel! You're right, these Kerbals do indeed have conflict, but actually meaning to hurt someone else is just beyond them. 

Meanwhile, on the Intrepid--no, the other one :)

VEVzR04.jpg

I don't know nearly enough about the layout of CV-11 to tell you where I am, but it's near the navigation bridge. Anyway there's a replica Gemini capsule being recovered on the crane, and behind it a warship flying the Canadian ensign! A quick lookup of the hull number revealed it to be HMCS Halifax. She passed Intrepid and moored on the next pier, across from the submarine Growler.

BMkzxtn.jpg

Coincidence? I think not. Not very subtle, @Starhawk , @GDJ and @SpaceplaneAddict, not very subtle :D 

Edited by Kuzzter