[1.12.x] BetterCrewAssignment v1.4.1: Smarter by default. Remembers your choices. No UI.

Snark

On 10/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, UnanimousCoward said:

I believe that may be a stock issue. Somewhere in the KSP game settings is a setting called something like "Persist inventory loadout". Enable that, and the inventory might work the way you want it.

Thanks. This doesn't completely remove the issue, as ideally their inventory loadout would change depending on the ship, but it's a very good workaround.

• 4 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, Dominiquini said:

Is there any update in this issue? This mod is still being maintained?

I still own the mod, I'm still around.  Fixing it would require time and energy, and it's not a super high priority for me, given that the mod basically works (I use it in my own gameplay, and find this problem only a minor annoyance).

(This was one of the first mods I made for KSP, and it shows-- the code is a fairly complicated mess.  Going in to track this sort of thing down would be quite time-consuming for me.  That's not to say I'll never do it, just that I've got a lot of other higher-priority things going on.)

• 1 year later...

I added this to my 1.12.5 game and it was causing a problem to remove and replace the crew between the vab and launch pad I was really getting mad having to constantly revert and replace the crew I put in the ship in the first place.

I removed it from games and now all my saved ships complain about missing bca modules and all my tourist contracts have been wiped.  It would have been nice to mention once you add this mod you can never remove it from your game folder or you permanently trash ship craft files!

Is there a way to fix this or am I going to have to start over again for the 5th time?

Please say there is a MM script or something I can run to purge this VIRUS from all my ship craft files, both in my save vab and sph folders and from my persistent.cfg and quicksave.cfg if needed???

Edited by ctbram

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2023 at 4:30 PM, ctbram said:

I added this to my 1.12.5 game and it was causing a problem to remove and replace the crew between the vab and launch pad I was really getting mad having to constantly revert and replace the crew I put in the ship in the first place.

I have no idea what the problem might be, but my best guess (based on the very little information you've provided) is that this is a problem with your KSP installation, rather than a problem with BetterCrewAssignment itself.

My reasons for guessing that:

• It works fine for me
  • Over 12,000 people have downloaded the latest version of this mod, and none of them have reported your problem, so I'm guessing it works fine for them too
  • You're the only person who has reported this problem

Examples of ways that this could go wrong on your local KSP installation would be if there's some problem with the way you've installed BetterCrewAssignment, or else perhaps it's not playing nice with some other mod you have installed.  Without more information from you, it's impossible for anyone else to know.

What have you done to diagnose the problem yourself?  Specifically,

• have you looked in the KSP log file to see if there are any informative error messages that may be relevant?
  • have you tried running BetterCrewAssignment with no other mods installed (other than MM), to see whether it still seems broken for you?

Also, FYI:  Yelling "it doesn't work!" at a mod author, while providing no specific details of what you're doing or exactly what behavior you're observing, is unhelpful.  If you'd like advice or troubleshooting help (for this or any other mod), you need to be specific about what you're doing and observing.

I removed it from games and now all my saved ships complain about missing bca modules and all my tourist contracts have been wiped.  It would have been nice to mention once you add this mod you can never remove it from your game folder or you permanently trash ship craft files!

The reason this "problem" isn't mentioned is that I've never had this problem, nor have I heard from any of the other several thousand users that they're having this problem, either.

BetterCrewAssignment is-- as I design all my mods to be-- "uninstall-friendly".  Meaning, you can uninstall it and it should work just fine.

Yes, if you load a ship that was previously saved with BCA installed, then you'll get a (harmless, ignorable) pop-up complaining that the PartModule isn't there, but this isn't specific to BCA; this is true of all mods that add PartModules to saved craft files.  If the pop-up is annoying, just re-save the ship after opening it and the pop-up goes away.

Regarding the contract thing:  No idea what's going on there.  BetterCrewAssignment never has had anything at all to do with contracts.  There's not a single line of code in the mod that does anything with contracts at all, nor have I had any contract-related bug reports other than yours.  So, again, this sounds as though it's probably a problem with your local installation.

purge this VIRUS

Just a bit of friendly advice:  If you want free help from someone who,

• doesn't know you, and
  • doesn't owe you anything, and
  • hasn't done anything wrong, and
  • has put in a lot of hours to create the shiny toy for free that you have chosen to use,

then it usually helps not to make angry, disparaging remarks about them or their work.  Criticizing strangers tends to make them disinclined to spend more of their free time to help you.

Best of luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.