Mun Flyby success.

Perotis

Great job, Perotis. Just getting to Kerbin orbit was challenging enough for me when I first started, much less transferring to Mun. Now keep going and see if you can get into Mun orbit, and have enough fuel to return to Kerbin.

Edited by Xavven

11 hours ago, Perotis said:

Completed the moon flyby mission and landed back on earth (on my first attempt even)

Not sure If it's task difficult enough to deserve a brag, but it felt really cool, and snagged me a boat load of science.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/perotis/blahh/Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 8.39.21 PM_zpsh7x85l03.png

"Difficult" isn't important, "felt really cool" is :-)  That personal sense of achievement is what's kept us all keen on KSP.
Of course, you'll have no time for any other life during 2016 now.

[There is no "Earth", it's a silly myth put about by people who don't spend enough time on Dres]

Grats on the milestone, Perotis!  A Munar flyby is one of the best things you can do early in career mode, and you nailed it.  This should give you a lot more freedom when planning future missions.  Might I recommend you try for a Minmus flyby next?  A little more challenging than a Munar flyby, but not too much.  You could probably do it with the same craft design, even, and it would give you another boatload of science to go with what you already got.

Wait til you land on Mun (it won't be on your first attempt...)  The sense of achievement is excellent.  And it's not just an in-game achievement - you're learning real, useful concepts.  If you ever get stranded in orbit with Sandra Bullock, you'll know that heading straight for that space station will ensure you miss it!

1 hour ago, Matt77 said:

If you ever get stranded in orbit with Sandra Bullock, you'll know that heading straight for that space station will ensure you miss it!

Apparently the initial script of the film was a little closer to using actual orbital mechanics, but it got edited out of fear that the general public would not get it and the script would get bogged down in needlessly excessive exposition about how space actually works.  Admittedly, this kind of thing is not very intuitive to the uninitiated.  

16 hours ago, Perotis said:

Completed the moon flyby mission and landed back on earth (on my first attempt even)

Not sure If it's task difficult enough to deserve a brag, but it felt really cool, and snagged me a boat load of science.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/perotis/blahh/Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 8.39.21 PM_zpsh7x85l03.png

It always is great to achieve something you haven't before. Grats!

26 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

Apparently the initial script of the film was a little closer to using actual orbital mechanics, but it got edited out of fear that the general public would not get it and the script would get bogged down in needlessly excessive exposition about how space actually works.  Admittedly, this kind of thing is not very intuitive to the uninitiated.  

Oh I still love the film, believe me - you just ignore the flaws the same way you do when watching Star Wars.  If they went for realism, the basic plot would be impossible - a debris field travelling that fast would be in a different orbit, and why is it suddenly travelling so fast anyway?

KSP is a lot of the reason I know the plot is nonsense.

16 hours ago, Perotis said:

I remember when I marooned jeb on the mun...

4 hours ago, Pecan said:

"Difficult" isn't important, "felt really cool" is :-)  That personal sense of achievement is what's kept us all keen on KSP.
Of course, you'll have no time for any other life during 2016 now.

[There is no "Earth", it's a silly myth put about by people who don't spend enough time on Dres]

And those who don't spend enough on pol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.