recommend me some new planets

ag3nt108

Ive reached the stage were I have hit almost every body in the stock solar system, there is still some work to do but with the weekend approaching  I'm looking for a way to freshen up my KSP experience.

I play on a macbook so any mod you recommend needs to be mac compatible.  I down loaded Kopernicus but it does not seem to work with the current version of KSP.  So what mods do work?  and what mods have you found to be fun, stable and all around enjoyable.  To be clear I'm not looking for mods that add parts or functionality.  I just wanted to expand the solar system.

Thanks for reading

Kopernicus does work. You need to have Modular Flight Integrator for it to function (that is included in the latest Kopernicus download). That being said I use a Windows computer and I have no idea what may work on an apple one.

If you can get it to work (I hope your issue was simply a lack of Modular Flight Integrator) then I would recommend Xen's Planet Collection. It makes interesting changes to the Eve, Duna, and Jool systems, as well as adding two new planets that look great and are fun to explore. Another good one that I know works in 1.1.3 is Outer Planets, and though you've probably heard of it, one thing which makes it far more interesting is Sigma's retexture of the gas planets, which I like because it makes an interesting change from the standard textures of the pack. Sigma Binary is also a must-have for both of those mods.

6 hours ago, ag3nt108 said:

I play on a macbook so any mod you recommend needs to be mac compatible.  I down loaded Kopernicus but it does not seem to work with the current version of KSP.  So what mods do work?  and what mods have you found to be fun, stable and all around enjoyable.  To be clear I'm not looking for mods that add parts or functionality.  I just wanted to expand the solar system.

Unfortunately, Kopernicus is the framework for adding additional celestial bodies. There is literally no other mod that does this right now. All planet packs are using Kopernicus.

But before you give up, I'd try and verify that you downloaded the correct package and installed the mod (and its two included dependencies) correctly. Installation issues are by far the biggest source of "the mod doesn't work" reports. Since I don't use a Mac, I cannot help you with that, but maybe a fellow Mac user can. Also consider asking for advice in the Kopernicus thread.

Edited by Streetwind

Ummm... Yes, OPm does work in 1.1.3

Kopernicus does work as well.

Here's not the best proof that Kopernicus does work, but its proof:

t0IYH7G.png

Thats a bug I haven't been able to figure out though... its just the title screen, in game it looks like this:

ZIO6A5S.png

This is the only screen shot I have of Tekto at the moment, taken after I got a new computer (which was after the 1.1.3 release) and installed scatterer

EN8OFcT.png

I didn't even have to update OPM (even though an updated OPM is out, I didn't update yet... I don't think I like the procedural craters on Eeloo)... just kopernicus.

Check your links again, Kopernicus does work

There are a lot of good planet packs out there.  For me, two of them stand out head and shoulders above the rest:

• Outer Planets Mod:  This is the king of planet mods, as far as I'm concerned.  Just brilliantly designed, and gorgeous; the production value is easily the equal of anything in the stock game, and it provides lots of interesting gameplay opportunities without being gimmicky.  It also has the advantage of being very reverse-compatible with the stock game:  it just adds new stuff to the outer fringes of the solar system, without tinkering with the stock planets (other than moving Eeloo into Sarnus orbit), so if you have an existing career going, you can install Outer Planets and continue playing.  (This also makes it nicely compatible with other planet packs that tinker with the inner solar system.)
  • New Horizons:  If you really want a new experience, this'll do ya.  It completely rejiggers the entire solar system (Kerbin ends up as a moon of a gas giant, for example), and adds tons of new planets and moons.  It's like a whole new game.  However, it's worth noting that it really does completely scramble the solar system, so it's not really compatible with existing saves, nor is it compatible with most other planet packs (unless they have a specific NH compatibility patch built in).  If you want to play NH, you're best off just creating a new savegame.

Both of these, like pretty much every other planet pack in existence, depend on Kopernicus.

8 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

how would you install it??

Same as you'd install any other mod, pretty much:  download the zip file, and unzip the contents into the GameData folder.

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Ummm... Yes, OPm does work in 1.1.3

Then you're lucky :P  The OPM thread is filled with people reporting that they can't get it to run without missing bodies and texture errors, even on clean installs with nothing but OPM (+dependencies) present. The good captain is on vacation and isn't able to look at the issues right now.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

New Horizons

When playing New Horizons right now, you need to deal with a few Kopernicus bugs that result from reparenting Kerbin like NH does - at least one of which is potentially savebreaking. The first time you load a NH save after starting the KSP client, there's a good chance that all vessels in orbit of Kerbin having their orbits randomly changed, knocking stations out of the sky and making in-flight missions miss their destination. Also, the sun does not move in the space center view, even though other celestial bodies are (you can clearly see Sonnah move). Only visiting the tracking station and returning to the space center view will reset the sun to its proper position... in which it once again gets stuck. If you also run Kerbal Construction Time, and launch a vessel without first "fixing" the sun this way every single time, you'll get screwed up terrain and possibly a client crash. (And remember, restarting the client is liable to disrupt objects orbiting Kerbin...)

So despite New Horizons being really cool, I wouldn't recommend it as a first-time foray into planet packs and Kopernicus in general. Kopernicus may even need a stock KSP update before those bugs can be attempted to be fixed, from the vibe I'm getting from the thread...

Edited by Streetwind

53 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

The first time you load a NH save after starting the KSP client, there's a good chance that all vessels in orbit of Kerbin having their orbits randomly changed, knocking stations out of the sky and making in-flight missions miss their destination.

Took me some digging to understand what you meant, here.  My initial reaction was "no, I said you should start a new career after installing New Horizons!"  Then rummaging through the New Horizons thread, I came to understand that you mean this happens on every startup of KSP.  Looks like a nasty bug crept in with 1.1.3.  Kopernicus works, but has some bugs in it under 1.1.3, and it looks as though New Horizons tickles those bugs in some sensitive spots.

So, based on what I've read:  yeah, sounds like it's probably best to steer clear of NH for a little while until that particular Kopernicus problem gets ironed out.

11 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Guys, Outer Planets Mod hasn't updated for 1.1.3 yet and in fact does not work. Not the best recommendation... :P

I'm running OPM in 1.1.3 and haven't had any probs so far

I can confirm Kopernicus does intact work on mac with 1.1.3.  Turns out since I had "opted into open beta" at the steam store i had not yet updated past 1.0.1 trollololololololo

anyway thanks all, Got me some new planets to explore :)

On 27/07/2016 at 7:49 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

What submods?  I've installed OPM, looking to flesh it out a bit.

Hm, seems there aren't any now it updated to 2.0, didn't notice. Use SigmaBinary at least, then ( and the asteroids mod I guess ).

Incidentally I updated to 2.0 & it's all working fine. Looking at some of the complaints I'm smelling shader/driver issues.

On 27/07/2016 at 10:42 AM, KerikBalm said:

Thats a bug I haven't been able to figure out though... its just the title screen, in game it looks like this:

ZIO6A5S.png

Tell me this is available for download plz? :) 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 4:21 AM, Streetwind said:

Guys, Outer Planets Mod hasn't updated for 1.1.3 yet and in fact does not work. Not the best recommendation... :P

I've been using OPM last couple weeks and it works fine for me. 

OPM screenshots:

Spoiler

I took these just a couple days ago for Emiko:

aqJ8bcm.png

gclf4UE.png

6l5ni96.png

TSe8AmI.png

Edited by Just Jim

4 hours ago, eddiew said:

Tell me this is available for download plz? :) 

I could put it up on drop box... I've never gotten around to doing anything with module manager, do you use scatterer?

I've made the base files for the planet and the for the scatterer planetlist.cfg file for it, I've added its entry along with the entries for the OPM planets... so as I have it now, it should be compatible with scatterer and OPM. I think with module manager I could just have something that would add the entry to any planetlist.cfg file for scatterer... I don't know.

I also never did get around to adding sigma binary to that. I just put that world there in response to another thread... previously I had it co-orbital at pseudo L4...

It does make for some pretty pictures to and from Kerbin though.

Spoiler

tITrXyv.png

XhzLpBV.png

dGXk4gf.png

WUS5AII.png

ppyTKHr.png

hlJZtJp.png

I still haven't got the scatterer settings quite right for it... I have major problems with oversaturation of the moon at certain times:

Spoiler

IALGrhG.png

12 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I could put it up on drop box... I've never gotten around to doing anything with module manager, do you use scatterer?

I think a lot of people would find this a really interesting additional planet and worthy of an alpha release thread to garner some feedback/bug hunters :)  I do use scatterer, now that directx mode is viable again - let's just say that the white days are planet-wide storms :D

It may be best that it's not binaried properly as yet, since Kopernicus is apparently having issues with re-parenting Kerbin, which I assume Sigma Binary would effectively do. Lagrange points, or simply orbiting Kerbin would seem safer for the moment, and are certainly a good fallback for folks who just don't want to use S-B. Either way I can imagine some nifty gravity assists :) 

On 30/07/2016 at 2:16 PM, KerikBalm said:

Well, this should work for now if you want to have a look

D'oh, sorry, missed this until today. I'll give it a look next time I fire up KSP, thank you :)

Also, there was an "Alpha Release" thread, but that was when I had it at L4, not tidally locked to kerbin (and kerbin to it, kerbin keeps the same length of day, I just put its orbit at the right location to have its orbital period be 1 day)

But thats a little older, I didn't upload the scatterer version, and the colormap is slightly different.

Since then. I've sort of lost interest in Pact and Vot, since i can't find any sufficiently detailed height and colormaps of asteroids or phobos/deimos to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff @KerikBalm! Rald really livens up Kerbin's SOI, and I love the 'terraformed Mars' look. I do think it's a bit close though, like it's invading Kerbin's personal space or something and only a century away from colliding; seeing it occupying Minmus' orbit, with Minmus as a subsatellite, would be awesome. I'm gonna try to do this in the configs for myself at least.

I've also found Arkas, which I feel compliments OPM very well as an addition to the inner system; and the wacky Odysseus system (run it with SigmaBinary), a pair of gas giants between Duna and Dres in a reverse orbit, with as many moons as Jool and Sarnus combined.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.