Devnote Tuesday: Many hands make light work!

SQUAD

8 minutes ago, razark said:

That was Ed White.

Oh, yes you are right.  Not sure how I mixed that up.

At any rate they could honor all of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronauts for all kinds of reasons other than death.

Edited by Alshain

Would it be a huge task to have small but significant biomes on Dres named after astronauts of all nations who have made the ultimate sacrifice to help mankind in the journey to space?

This would change Dres from what is considered to be the most boring planet in the system to a place of pilgrimage.

16 hours ago, Alshain said:

You know he was also the first American to perform a spacewalk.

That was Ed White, not Gus Grissom. Grissom never had the opportunity to do a spacewalk. Grissom I think gets singled out a bit since he's the only one of the Mercury Seven to die while working on spaceflight.

Edit: I should read the next page before posting. :/

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

That was Ed White, not Gus Grissom. Grissom never had the opportunity to do a spacewalk. Grissom I think gets singled out a bit since he's the only one of the Mercury Seven to die while working on spaceflight.

Edit: I should read the next page before posting. :/

Well, I guess it's worth pointing out that Gus Grissom was the first man to go to space twice, but that shouldn't lessen the impact of the three men dying.

11 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Grissom was also so highly regarded by the rest of the astronaut office that he was Slayton's choice for first man on the Moon. Slayton admitted this in his bio.

He did a huge amount of work on making Gemini "the pilot's spacecraft" that was also highly appreciated. I got the feeling from reading all my histories that while Chaffee & White were missed, everyone thought Grissom was a loss of a big contributor and a major "team player"

I've always wondered how history would have changed if someone as charismatic and personable as Grissom had been first man on the Moon. Armstrong's a talented guy, but he basically vanished from sight. I believe that was really damaging to the space program and a major reason space became "ho hum" in very short order. I think Grissom would have given many good interviews and really talked the program up, and kept it in the public eye a lot longer. He would have been great PR at a time when the program needed it.

Edited by GeneCash
Grammar

3 hours ago, GeneCash said:

He did a huge amount of work on making Gemini "the pilot's spacecraft" that was also highly appreciated. I got the feeling from reading all my histories that while Chaffee & White were missed, everyone thought Grissom was a loss of a big contributor and a major "team player"

At the same time, the Gemini was colloquially known as a "Gusmobile" because the seats and controls were made to fit him.

Which was a problem, because he was one of the smallest astronauts involved. So said capsules were very uncomfortable for most everyone else.

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/flying-the-gusmobile-218187/?no-ist=&page=1

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

they will be posting the dev notes here to the forum as well right? not everyone uses or goes near twitter after all...

Those would be some really short notes if they fit in a tweet.

On 20 August 2016 at 0:30 AM, Alshain said:

Oh, yes you are right.  Not sure how I mixed that up.

At any rate they could honor all of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronauts for all kinds of reasons other than death.

Space pioneering and associated "ultimate sacrificing" also occurred in a country other than the United States, if I recall my world history correctly. 

Unless a few non-American "honor-ications" occur, it will all feel a bit shallow don't you think?

And what about all the animals? They had no choice...

Why is the news that DevNotes (which are published on the forum) will be released tomorrow, is published somewhere in Twitter? It reminded me of this:

"What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? For heaven's sake mankind, it's only four light years away you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout."

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Edited by Kerbuvim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.