[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

These look way more realistic than stockalike art style. Is this meant to be an extended Real Solar System or an extended stock solar system? EDIT: a read. It mostly does look pretty dang good, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous.

EDIT: These near-photorealistic planets would be perfect as a full scale solar system mod. We don't have enough of those. :P How cool would it be to have an exoplanet mod for RSS with realistic looking planets and moons that look incredible as opposed to mere space engine exports?

Edited by GregroxMun

Those worlds. This thread. :0.0: I want to try to do a sandbox conquest of worlds beyond Jool...and put it on YouTube. I'm now completely torn between OPM and this.

Maybe this pack should be renamed The Galilean(s) Planet Pack? @GregroxMun :) You're right, this is too good to be named Stock Extended.

Spoiler

My conquest. When I'm not such a newbie anymore and actually make my first tour of Jool and capture a probe around Moho.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

These look way more realistic than stockalike art style. Is this meant to be an extended Real Solar System or an extended stock solar system? EDIT: a read. It mostly does look pretty dang good, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous.

EDIT: These near-photorealistic planets would be perfect as a full scale solar system mod. We don't have enough of those. :P How cool would it be to have an exoplanet mod for RSS with realistic looking planets and moons that look incredible as opposed to mere space engine exports?

I am still trying to decide if this should be it's own solar system.  I think that would be cool but it will take a lot longer to complete.

46 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Those worlds. This thread. :0.0: I want to try to do a sandbox conquest of worlds beyond Jool...and put it on YouTube. I'm now completely torn between OPM and this.

Maybe this pack should be renamed The Galilean(s) Planet Pack? @GregroxMun :) You're right, this is too good to be named Stock Extended.

Reveal hidden contents

My conquest. When I'm not such a newbie anymore and actually make my first tour of Jool and capture a probe around Moho.

Well if I make it a brand new solar system,  you could use both.  Also i quite like that name.  I'll think I'll steal it. :)

5 hours ago, eddiew said:

These look amazing :)

How do the orbits play with OPM or KPlus? Not like I can ever have too many planet packs :D 

I haven't really decided on where they will go exactly but my hope is they will play nice. 

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I haven't really decided on where they will go exactly but my hope is they will play nice. 

I don't imagine anyone would be upset if you put a gas giant where Dres is - wouldn't be too painful to get to either then :) 

You might be surprised at how many folks react to this. I have plans for Dres myself, but I wouldn't mind finding a Galilean in its place if it means more to see than just the canyon.

Spoiler

And maybe its mystery spuds. The Dresroids/Dresteroids.

21 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Also i quite like that name.  I'll think I'll steal it. :)

Lol. But what if it was offered up on a platter, surrounded by a few new flavors of Snacks™ :wink:

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You might be surprised at how many folks react to this. I have plans for Dres myself, but I wouldn't mind finding a Galilean in its place if it means more to see than just the canyon.

Reveal hidden contents

And maybe its mystery spuds. The Dresroids/Dresteroids.

Lol. But what if it was offered up on a platter, surrounded by a few new flavors of Snacks™ :wink:

I'm thinking doing that and adding dres as a moon.  

I may need some help with atmospheric and gravitational settings in my kopernicus cfgs. I mean I set them up but I don't feel that they are realistic enough to match the planets. @OhioBob I know you are the subject matter expert around here,  would you be willing to help?  

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I may need some help with atmospheric and gravitational settings in my kopernicus cfgs. I mean I set them up but I don't feel that they are realistic enough to match the planets. @OhioBob I know you are the subject matter expert around here,  would you be willing to help?  

I think I can calculate some realistic gravitational parameters for each body, provided I know the characteristics of them. I really want to test this mod out, it looks awesome!

Stunning doesn't quite do these justice. What kind of sorcery did you use to make those textures? They look amazing! Gauss in particular has so much depth to it, it's amazing. Something that the rest of the gas giants out there are sorely lacking. Gorgeous work as always Galileo. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

Stunning doesn't quite do these justice. What kind of sorcery did you use to make those textures? They look amazing! Gauss in particular has so much depth to it, it's amazing. Something that the rest of the gas giants out there are sorely lacking. Gorgeous work as always Galileo. 

It's a little secret of mine.... Thanks for the support! 

9 hours ago, Mikki said:

This is a true artwork, glad people like you still do stuff like this for KSP!
I guess this will have a Kopernicus dependency? 

Indeed it will use kopernicus 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Absolutely.  The work you've done so far is first rate, I'd be happy to help out.  Those planets look beautiful.

There is just some basic information that I need to work up some realistic temperature and pressure curves.  We can either discuss it here in this thread or we can private message.  Let me know what you want to do.

BTW, I like the idea of making this an entirely new and alternative solar system.  Of course that decision is yours.

13 hours ago, Galileo said:

Gauss
VhgfYxG.pngMHxN6bq.png

Icarus, a moon of Gauss.
9L7F1ia.png8xbPly9.png

Augustus, also a moon of Gauss
UwTxmY2.png

Nero, another gas giant
j3U72tQ.png28Z9YPv.png
JTQECTo.png

Must. Have. Secret. To. Textures!!!!

This is absolutely gorgeous, and I want to make some realistic textures for my planet pack with my candidate exoplanets and exomoons. How did you make these, and how much do they need visual enhancement mods?

8 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Must. Have. Secret. To. Textures!!!!

This is absolutely gorgeous, and I want to make some realistic textures for my planet pack with my candidate exoplanets and exomoons. How did you make these, and how much do they need visual enhancement mods?

So far the only visual enhancements you see is scatterer and that's only on the gas giants