The Elkano challenge (all versions accepted!)

I just completed a Kerbin circumnavigation during my career save. Behold this screenshot from BTDT:

Z2rWqqf.png

I made like a hundred screenshots to document the trip. I think some of them are out of order, because uploading so many images to imgur is annoying, so sorry about that.

I run KSP modded. Among others, I use ScanSat, Mechjeb, and the Malemute rover parts. You'll find some commentary in the screenshots.

So this was nice, and it took like 15 Kerbin-days.

After carefully re-reading the rules, I see that I might be disqualified by ferrying the rover. But, you know, technically I left KSC with the rover, and then it just shedded its useless outer skin when it turned into a butterfly. Or the outer parts "just broke" during the trip. Or something.

Yet another Mun-circumnavigation!

Mission report is here:

Just the pretty pictures are here:

and here:

Hope it counts with regards to the less-than-equatorial route, but if anything, it should be longer; also, contains all Mun biomes and anomalies.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steel Starling said:

Is using something like HyperEdit to get to the place you are driving on allowed, like if I built a rover for Bop, do I have to fly it there or can I use cheats? I'm not the best at doing interplanetary missions.

Nope- in fact that's part of rule #1 in the OP.

I circumnavigated Tylo, even though I didn't plan to do it. I also climbed several high mountains and visited the poles and the anomalies on the same trip. The key seems to be making the rover large enough that little bumps don't matter.

tylo_expedition_08.jpeg

Mission report:

The mission was mostly stock, except for MechJeb and Docking Port Alignment Indicator. Two launches from Kerbin, four kerbals, 46 flags, and 16 days on the surface.

tylo_expedition_67.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Today, I come here for my 2nd elcano. After Minmus, I decided to do something harder. Here's Jool!

Sorry, had to fire the temp. I mean, Mün!

https://imgur.com/a/JfZOA

A few numbers about the journey:

1,400,000: the distance in meters

9,350: the total science gathered

202: the number of experiments

21: the number of techs I could unlock

18: the number of flags

15: the biomes I visited

7: the number of parts I destroyed

2: the number of glitches (One that toasted 4 static panels and another that transformed Bob into a tourist...)

1: the number of RUD s.

Enjoy!

Edited by MinimalMinmus

14 hours ago, damerell said:

It's a while since we've seen one of these. Mun is a good size - not such a slog as Kerbin, but at least it's got some gravity to stick you down sometimes.

I'd recommend Minmus for a first time: it's smaller, and unlike what you'd think, the gravity of the mun isn't enough to prevent you from tumbling at high speed. What the Mun DOES have, however, is craters everywhere that may hinder you or even damage your rover.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching this thread for a while and I think it's time for me to start an Elcano. Thinking Minmus, since as I've been reading that's a good spot for a first attempt.

Working on a car, I thought I'd post it here for feedback/suggestions. 

QwwsL5x.jpg

I'm going for a Stock Craft but using Mod tools. Appreciate any comments!

This is an ISRU-based vehicle (in the engine-looking area) with a pair of small drills, ore tanks, and radiators. There are 6 small RTG underneath and a backup solar panel on top. There are 6 mini-jet engines along and a medium reaction wheel at the rear. I also included RCS jets to ensure maneuverability in a vacuum.

UPDATE: Doing drive testing on Minmus, but I'm finding it hard to control the wheels and the back end keeps jumping up. I think it's the low gravity. Anything over 25m/s and I'm lifting off the terrain. 

Any recommendations for vehicle design on Minmus? Also, the mountains are super-steep... Any suggestions on dealing with that?

Edited by scottadges

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's complete! Finished my first Elkano Challenge on Minmus today. This was a completely stock craft, although I have functionality-related mods installed, including KER & MJ (helped with speed control, not autopilot).

VvhVRek.jpg

Ended up with 41 flags across a mostly-equatorial trip. Had to go around a couple mountains and generally tried to plot a course across the flattest areas.

DqwiqfS.jpg

Here's Burberry "Juan Sebastian" Kerman taking his final selfie of the trip with the original flag planted on Day 22. The full journey took about 198 total days, but that's due to refueling several times (fast-forwarding time).

vNZ7gdV.jpg

You can see the progress in my Elkano Minmus Challenge mission report.

(Hopefully someone is moderating this thread so I can confirm completion). 

Thanks!

Edited by scottadges

• 5 weeks later...

I claim my challenge complete!!!

screenshot51.png

The rover is totally stock, the only change to the game is this terrain detail tweak. https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/39814-default-terrain-quality-without-most-of-the-lag/
It consists of 18 parts: A HECS probe core, a nuclear generator, 2 Z100 batteries, a reaction wheel, 4 cubic struts, 4 wheels, a chair, a lamp, 2 16S antennas and a resource scanner (for position readout). The whole vehicle is just 0.774 tonnes.

screenshot23.png

Delivered to Minmus by the R-4B rocket (really just 5 SRB's strapped together)

screenshot25.png

Landing on Minmus. The driver, none other than Jeb, had landed earlier (note the the other craft).

screenshot27.png

Rover ready for action!

screenshot29.png

screenshot30.png

As the sun was setting in the west, the journey began. From my landing location at the west edge of the greater flat, I drove NW up the plateau, then drove west, to the great flat, crossed to the SW corner, then crossed the low plateau to the lesser flat.

screenshot36.png

I could drive 45-56 m/s for most of the trip. Ballistic motion was common, but with using prograde lock, I always land wheels first, and the rover is light enough not to overstress the wheels.

screenshot38.png

Going steep downhill to the lesser flat.

screenshot42.png

A second crash. Looked like Jeb was really shocked. He couldn't walk. I drove the rover at him. He made it back to the rover. Then he tried to leave the seat, and bounced 120m up... Thing got back to normal after that.

screenshot43.png

I crossed the southern edge of the lesser flat, then up the mountain range separating the lesser flat and greater flat. The sun was setting in the EAST. It was difficult to find my way in the dark. I had to stop and waited about half an hour for sunlight.

After reaching the top it got better, though. I could see the greater flat, even in total darkness. I plotted a straight course downhill. The mountain is gentle and smooth and safe to drive. Finally reached the SE sector of the greater flat.

screenshot46.png

Almost home. Full speed ahead--57.5 m/s, on the greater flat.

screenshot47.png

Crossed the finishing line! I reckon the trip took about 3 hours. Not too bad.

screenshot50.png

Edited by TheFlyingKerman

3 hours ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

I claim my challenge complete!!!

screenshot51.png

The rover is totally stock, the only change to the game is this terrain detail tweak. https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/39814-default-terrain-quality-without-most-of-the-lag/
It consists of 18 parts: A HECS probe core, a nuclear generator, 2 Z100 batteries, a reaction wheel, 4 cubic struts, 4 wheels, a chair, a lamp, 2 16S antennas and a resource scanner (for position readout). The whole vehicle is just 0.774 tonnes.

screenshot23.png

Delivered to Minmus by the R-4B rocket (really just 5 SRB's strapped together)

screenshot25.png

Landing on Minmus. The driver, none other than Jeb, had landed earlier (note the the other craft).

screenshot27.png

Rover ready for action!

screenshot29.png

screenshot30.png

As the sun was setting in the west, the journey began. From my landing location at the west edge of the greater flat, I drove NW up the plateau, then drove west, to the great flat, crossed to the SW corner, then crossed the low plateau to the lesser flat.

screenshot36.png

I could drive 45-56 m/s for most of the trip. Ballistic motion was common, but with using prograde lock, I always land wheels first, and the rover is light enough not to overstress the wheels.

screenshot38.png

Going steep downhill to the lesser flat.

screenshot42.png

A second crash. Looked like Jeb was really shocked. He couldn't walk. I drove the rover at him. He made it back to the rover. Then he tried to leave the seat, and bounced 120m up... Thing got back to normal after that.

screenshot43.png

I crossed the southern edge of the lesser flat, then up the mountain range separating the lesser flat and greater flat. The sun was setting in the EAST. It was difficult to find my way in the dark. I had to stop and waited about half an hour for sunlight.

After reaching the top it got better, though. I could see the greater flat, even in total darkness. I plotted a straight course downhill. The mountain is gentle and smooth and safe to drive. Finally reached the SE sector of the greater flat.

screenshot46.png

Almost home. Full speed ahead--57.5 m/s, on the greater flat.

screenshot47.png

Crossed the finishing line! I reckon the trip took about 3 hours. Not too bad.

screenshot50.png

Nice,  time for me to update the score (completion?) board

Edited by rkarmark

• 2 weeks later...

I was developing some new tech and thus I came up with bumper cars. They worked so fantastically well I decided to build and test a fast & heavy duty rover for other worlds.

Disclaimer: I didn't build a launch vehicle for it, therefore this is not my complete entry for the Elcano challenge. I just put the thing in orbit and used the lander.

Later I will build the launch vehicle for this thing but since building & flying to Duna is all bread & butter (not to mention pretty boring) I'd rather do without it.

bV7EQXt.png

Only mod used: Mechjeb with the rover autopilot.

1ZAPf0o.png

Fine tuned settings for each wheel gave it the ride I wanted: low springs and max dampers, low friction on all wheels but slightly higher at the rear. The bumpers are the opposite: max springs and no damping.

7suXxl8.png

The bumpers work as expected: the vehicle is nearly indestructible. It just bounces off the terrain!

sau8VED.png

Power consumption is low, during the night drive it used a minimal amount of fuel (running on fuel cells and two RTG's). Part count is pretty low, only 54.

K7n9hWt.png

That's it, just under 12 hours. Thanks for reading.
This is the link to the vehicle + lander.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 3:35 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

I've got one question. I did a test drive at Dres. My rover would just jump from one ridge to the next, and the planet is all ridges. I ended up spending 95% of the time in mid space. It gets even worse on Gilly, where each 'jump' is several km long. Do you still call this rovering?

I think as long as you didn't propel your rover even further in midair, it's still called rovering. Other than that, make heavier rover for low gravity world, they are less likely "going suborbital" when making jumps

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.