The Elkano challenge (all versions accepted!)

1 hour ago, Xurkitree said:

Quick question - I'm interested in doing the challenge, but can I edit the kerbal config so that they hold a bunch of flags? My idea prohibits the use of command modules, hence the question. If not, what can I use?

Use Kerbnet, and create waypoints. These show in map-view. It's much quicker than planting flags anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Application for Minmus Elcano Challenge:

Category (Flexible to discretion) : Stock Craft

Note:  So, I wanted to apply for a full stock mission, which went well for about a third of the mission.  Some ways through, I noticed that on the Minmusian hills, the vehicle would clip through the ground a bit, then fix itself, sending the vehicle hurtling through the air.  This occurred multiple times, but I powered through it, wasting much of my monoprop in the process.  Eventually, one time this happened, I pressed F5 instead of F9 after landing just after an incident.  My solar panels and rear end service bay back were gone.  This left me with minimal electricity and virtually no stability to deal with the low gravity.  I sent up a KIS resupply ship containing parts, tools, and supplies.  Using all 11 kerbals, I was able to carry each piece to the rover and reattach from there, leaving spare KIS equipment behind, as I intended this to be an all-stock mission.  The Crew Return ship used no mod parts or guidance.  Because the rover only recieved parts from a separate, modded, repair ship, can this still be in the Stock Craft category?                                                                                                                Note 2: I took a long break between the start and end, roughly halfway through.  It appears that the Screenshots folder is purged of old pics or something because none of them were there.  I'm pretty sure evidence of the stock landing can be seen by the two debris and flag left over at the return site in the screenshot.  If anyone wants it, I can go back and try to get another pic of the debris left at the repair site.  Only screenshots of the second half of the mission were findable.                                Screenshots and Craft files used: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o00713cja74xlvu/Minmus.zip?dl=0                                                                  End Result: A nice tourist destination on Minmus with a flag, a rover brought past its (literal) breaking point, and some spare fuel from the landing module; 11 happy kerbals after a 50 day mission; a Minmus base site; and a new ship design for ferrying crew between surface base and station.

Edited by GKSP
hopeful format fix

I'm planning on a circumnavigation attempt using one of my stock electric biplanes.

I know flying is against the rules, but the plane i'm going to attempt to fly cruises around 70-80 m/s. 

It's going to be a durable little bush plane that I can land frequently to plant flags, and some rovers are probably faster.

It kind of contrary to the challenge, but it's the closest circumnavigation challenge I can find since the plane will be flying so slow. Especially since I will have to fly it in real time to prevent the bearing from breaking, requiring several days of flight. Even if it doesn't satisfy the challenge I might just post updates in this thread since it will be a herculean mission in of itself.  

Can at least make an electric boat of sorts that I can use to do a legit attempt. 

Edited by Jon144

• 1 month later...

Eeloo Elcano complete!

screenshot60.png

Everything was stock 1.3.1. The rover is my standard nuclear powered science rover, just 22 parts and 0.82t without the kerbal.

screenshot63.png

Spoiler

Start

screenshot24.png

Visiting the green monolith. I drove west along an equatorial path. I could drive at 50-65m/s, almost as fast as the planet rotates, so I only took one night break.

screenshot39.png

This planet is very smooth and everywhere look pretty much the same, so I didn't take many screenshots.

screenshot40.png

Half way done. Note that I was driving along the bottom of a canyon

screenshot44.png

Almost done. I came up with the trick using Alt+I to hold speed (with wheel control set to IJKL), and prograde lock to hold course. The path is safe enough for me to walk away. Poor man's rover autopilot?

screenshot57.png

Finish.

screenshot59.png

17 hours ago, Gapone said:

Can I use hyperedit to land my rover?

Rule 1 in the first post in the thread:

The main mission and support missions must be launched from the launchpad or runway and delivered to the destination body. Part of the journey is getting the crew/ship there. (i.e. No HyperEditing or save file editing the vehicle into position.)

On 1/15/2019 at 9:26 PM, Gapone said:

Can I use hyperedit to land my rover?

@damerell is right:

On 1/16/2019 at 3:05 PM, damerell said:

Rule 1 in the first post in the thread:

The main mission and support missions must be launched from the launchpad or runway and delivered to the destination body. Part of the journey is getting the crew/ship there. (i.e. No HyperEditing or save file editing the vehicle into position.)

So no, you can't use hyperedit because getting there is part of the challange

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in this challenge, and like many others my sights are set on Minmus. Easy to get to, easy to land on and quite small so the challenge shouldn't take months.

I do have a question regarding my planned vehicle; I'll be attempting an equatorial route, which would mean crossing the flats of Minmus, the rover design I have in mind would use small rockets/monoprop engines to reach high speeds for this section, with downward facing rockets/monoprop engines to keep it grounded. Would this be allowed, or would it be seen as breaching the rules. I don't see a rule that dictates/forbids the method of propulsion, but I figured it'd be best to check first.

28 minutes ago, PHO3NIX_F1RE said:

I'm interested in this challenge, and like many others my sights are set on Minmus. Easy to get to, easy to land on and quite small so the challenge shouldn't take months.

I do have a question regarding my planned vehicle; I'll be attempting an equatorial route, which would mean crossing the flats of Minmus, the rover design I have in mind would use small rockets/monoprop engines to reach high speeds for this section, with downward facing rockets/monoprop engines to keep it grounded. Would this be allowed, or would it be seen as breaching the rules. I don't see a rule that dictates/forbids the method of propulsion, but I figured it'd be best to check first.

This would be allowed as long as you tuch the ground, but if you end up flying you just have to turn off the engines

Good luck with the circumnavigation :)

15 minutes ago, rkarmark said:

This would be allowed as long as you tuch the ground, but if you end up flying you just have to turn off the engines

Good luck with the circumnavigation :)

Excellent. It'll have to wait until after my Jool transfer window, I can experiment with designs and it'll give me something to do while my Jool 5 attempt is in transit.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, Tapeta said:

Hello everyone.

I managed to finish Elcano challenge for Duna and it was hard :-).

Category: modded craft (because I have installed two canisters of live support for USI LS, otherwise the rover is made of stock parts)

Here is my imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/Utl4SNr

euBvcOz.jpg

9zuLOz2.jpg

Cool, must be even harder with life support.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:02 AM, Claw said:

Awesome to see this is (mostly) still going!

I am sad to report that Julella and Obemy, my intrepid duo, are still stranded on Eve. :(

He is back! I hope I have done a good job answering questions, although i haven't really updated  the scoreboard.

I also hope you brought enough snacks for your kerbals, in my experience they might get a bit hungry.

Edited by rkarmark
formatting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've landed a rover on Duna. Yes, another one of those little Crater Crawlers. I like those.

Now waiting for the crew, due to land in 20 days.

This time, Valentina will have company. I've developed a new two-person lander craft. 

Unfortunately the antenna broke during the aerobrake so Val will need to fix it. Nothing too serious, not like I'll lose conta...

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

Oh no.

I've landed my kerbs on Duna.

The antenna is damaged beyond repair.

My worst fears have come true.

(Not like I need it anyways. But I just like having it there.)

And so off we go!

Edit: Cruising along at 20 m/s, this feels like a piece of cake!

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

Can we use a helicopter to deliver the circumnavigator vehicle to the poles on Kerbin and Laythe?

I plan to complete this challenge in record time for Kerbin.

Could someone also tell me the shortest time in which this challenge has been completed for Kerbin and the fastest craft?

Edited by HyperDraco

We have completed the elcano!

That was a long ride, 36 days 2 hours and 40 minutes!

gm8yEmJ.png

We have landed! Let's get out there!

FVh0XLG.png

Start of elcano! We're off!

ToSLD9U.png

"I am worth your salt!"

xAkXsgG.png

Woah, easy there.

Spoiler

pyllAtU.png

Green monolith.

^^ Warning! Images of easter eggs present!

O3dgToM.png

We visit the first kerbal-made object to touch the surface of Duna.

iVv2sYw.png

TYv117t.png

We then visit the place where kerbals first walked on Duna.

DEGKKJ7.png

To be honest, I was in awe when I first saw the poles of Duna after cresting that ridge.

e1F2OZn.png

Valentina is loving this pink wonderland.

Spoiler

q5XZ8Kf.jpg

The image I decoded from the SSTV hill. Horrible, I know.

^^ More easter eggs.

xnVf5NI.png

"Time to leave, Valentina."

"Noooo..."

Spoiler

E6onzkp.jpg

The face on Duna.

qBCscJY.png

The rover camera mast. It's under the ground, took me a while to find. I had to increase my terrain detail to see it.

^^ Yet more easter eggs.

KEMnpBD.png

You've seen this.

URv2Qxs.png

Driving at night.

DvjH9hS.png

Ike eclipse.

1b8BHCh.png

And we're back. After 36 1/3 days.

TZeJNDe.png

My route around the planet. I visited every single anomaly and biome. I also now have surface samples from every single biome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats: 

190 saves

1 flip (yes I flipped the rover, unharmed)

4 anomalies

2 historic sites

14 biomes

2 kerbals

1 full circumnavigation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll go collect my badge.

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.