[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

21 hours ago, Terwin said:

Last I checked, you need logistics to push as well, but it need not be manned.

The unmanned material processors have logistics to support pushing from unmanned processing facilities. 

Thanks. I failed to ask in my previous question, does the Kontainer with the resource I want to push have to be directly connected, part of the same "vehicle," or just in a certain range? IE: the 150m scavenge range.

2 hours ago, Kerbalkraut said:

Thanks. I failed to ask in my previous question, does the Kontainer with the resource I want to push have to be directly connected, part of the same "vehicle," or just in a certain range? IE: the 150m scavenge range.

I would expect it to be ok within scavenging range, but I generally dropped my unmanned mining outposts as a single unit, so I cannot say for certain.

(I find a larger launch/landing vehicle to be easier than pin-point landings, and an unmanned mining outpost is usually simple enough to fit into one launch) 

Note: remote outposts will need to be visited for their resources to load into the planetary warehouse, WOLF is intended to replace those scattered outposts with an alternative that does not need active maintenance

I actually am building my mining rigs as rovers to give them the ability to be relocated to different resounce concentrations as the base re tools for future needs. Also to reduce the need for precise landings lol. I do intend them all being self sustained units.

TBH I wasn't even intending to use MKS industry stuff to avoid the hit to the save file and go straight to WOLF infrastructure. The issue tho, the tech tree requires well over 10k science to allow WOLF to even get off the ground. Turns out I need to rely on some base building to bootstrap WOLF, cuz of funds lol.

3 hours ago, Kerbalkraut said:

TBH I wasn't even intending to use MKS industry stuff to avoid the hit to the save file and go straight to WOLF infrastructure. The issue tho, the tech tree requires well over 10k science to allow WOLF to even get off the ground. Turns out I need to rely on some base building to bootstrap WOLF, cuz of funds lol.

Generally I generate funds with contracts, using an ISRU-equipped, nuclear powered vessel carrying an engineer(for drilling&refining) and some means of improved control(pilot, drone pod, or guidance thingy that lets the engineer drive like a pilot) and a load of tourists to go and fulfill base-building contracts on both The Mun and Minmus tends to provide quite a lot of funds(and the opportunity to fill-up the remaining seats with kerbals below 3 stars to get more experience).

I generally have 2 main variants saved: with lab and without.  On top of the base building and tourism contracts, the occasional flag planting or ore collection contract is just icing on the cake.(admittedly, any 'and return that ore to kerbin' leg is handled with a pod strapped to an ore tank that 'lands' by picking up or putting down landing legs, because my usual designs do not have a lot of landing margin, especially after I unload any ore and most of my remaining fuel at the orbital fuel depot)

Hiya! I think I'm encountering a bug or something? When I recover RareMetals, I get maybe a million funds from the RareMetals but then I lose like twice as much from recovering the containers for some reason? Is this intended? I have a bunch of mods installed. Pics: https://imgur.com/a/RqQAoyC

Thank you!

Edited by BirdOfsteel

1 hour ago, BirdOfsteel said:

Hiya! I think I'm encountering a bug or something? When I recover RareMetals, I get maybe a million funds from the RareMetals but then I lose like twice as much from recovering the containers for some reason? Is this intended? I have a bunch of mods installed. Pics: https://imgur.com/a/RqQAoyC

Thank you!

Stock bug.  There are some other mods you can add that will work around this.

Hello.
I landed my scout landing module with some other stuff.

So the part description of scout landing module says it has a rudimentary workshop.

How do you get into that workshop? I tried with my Kerbals so how do you access the workshop?

Any help would be appreciated.

12 hours ago, notthebobo said:

@Cynblue, this MKS Wiki page should be helpful. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to get a Kerbal into this part to use the workshop. It may be helpful as an enhancer to other manned workshop parts, though.

oh thanks, I just landed the workshop so yeah.
I'll try to make bases even though I'm trash at rendezvous so I'll just use some wheels

It's been a while since I've built a base using MKS, are ground anchors safe to use in 1.11.2? I vaguely recall watching a YT video where someone was having problems because of them but could be wrong about that or the problems could have been fixed.

Hello. I am trying this mod out (I downloaded the 1.4.1.0 release directly from the GitHub), but I am confused.

I am confused as to how to construct the giant ATLAS dome buildings. Looking at Mark Thrimm's videos, it seems like the mod Ground Construction (also known as Global Construction??) is used to create the giant ungainly domes. However, looking at the change-log for MKS 1.4.1, it looks like Ground Construction has been removed from the MKS installation. A folder for Global Construction was included, but it is empty. And then in the TBD for 1.5.0, it says that Konstruction is the new default mod for this. I noticed that I do have Konstruction parts, but I don't see how one would construct the giant 150 ton domes. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to install Grou--uh...Global Construction as well, or not?

Also, I am also not sure whether I am supposed to additionally install KAS, in order to have flexible piping between modules and such. It seems that KAS usually goes with KIS, but then again in the MKS change-log, it says for the TBD 1.5.0 that KIS support is, or will be, deprecated. So I'm not sure if I need to install KAS or Infernal Robotics, both of which are recommended on the main page of the GitHub page.

So really, I'm very confused as to what to install.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, minkar81002 said:

Also, I am also not sure whether I am supposed to additionally install KAS, in order to have flexible piping between modules and such. It seems that KAS usually goes with KIS, but then again in the MKS change-log, it says for the TBD 1.5.0 that KIS support is, or will be, deprecated. So I'm not sure if I need to install KAS or Infernal Robotics, both of which are recommended on the main page of the GitHub page.

MKS was specifically designed to NOT require any pipes between modules, due to the Kracken showing up with large interconnected buildings. Things like Local Logistics, rovers, etc allow for transfers within certain distances without piping. I do know that some players do not like the implied interconnections and really need to see pipes, but they run the risk of their bases shaking apart violently.

Now, WOLF is how to take full advantage of the virtual resource environment, which requires a learning curve and practice. The older school local/planetary/orbital logistics are still possible and complement WOLF, and there is a lot of info on that in the forum. You just need to patiently search and read some of the guides that were written, and test a lot on Minmus. Hope this helps.

The Mod isn't dead. @RoverDude just moved his github page and forgot to update the initial post and the links. The correct link you are looking for is this:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/releases (instead of https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/releases )

Direct Github link to the latest release: click me

Edited by caipi

21 hours ago, caipi said:

The Mod isn't dead. @RoverDude just moved his github page and forgot to update the initial post and the links. The correct link you are looking for is this:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/releases (instead of https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/releases )

Direct Github link to the latest release: click me

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

I have run into a roadblock and need help!

I have a question about the WOLF modules...   I found a link that does a great job of explaining what is what but I can see that it's a draft that is not complete.  These are great modules but little is known on how to use them.  This link below helped a LOT! but I have questions... like to use the transport computer... does it have to be a rover, or can a VTOL perform the same function? 

I'm starting to understand that I have to deploy a complete set of mining/harvesting/refining modules for each depot... (so far I haven't been successful in deploying that second part after the depot (The depot part blew my mind when I read how to deploy that!).  Just when I think I've got all the parts covered... I scrolled down and I have 3 more resources in the negative.  When I add a harvester for them... it goes further in the red!  Is it because I'm trying to mine more than I've got?

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/WOLF-—-Industry-without-the-part-count#wolf-from-scratch-a-walkthrough

In reading the walk-through I get lost at the part for KSC BIOME:  Fabrication Module for Material Kits.

It states to set the Fabrication mod to produce Material Kits.  I'm not sure how to do this.  I open the GUI interface and gives me the following:

1. Colony Supplies => Material Kits

Machinery  => Material Kits

Specialized Parts  => Material Kits

Material Kits  => (any of the above)

Which do I choose?  Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at... 

If I can get assistance with this one... I should be able to figure out what I need for the other biomes.

r7sz3oa.png

The WOLF system was quite thrilling when I first read about it.
Once I tried to start designing simple fuel extractors on Mun from scratch I hit this monstrosity
https://imgur.com/gallery/YhmBpIp

Almost 140 tons, 58 parts (combination  of harvesters, extractors and refineries), 19 crew required.

And result ? Net 2 material kits.

Cherry on top - I have to move it to Mun and attach it to depot in one shot, otherwise I keep receiving errors about missing resources....

Seems like WOLF is not that much useful....

7 minutes ago, PetMat said:

The WOLF system was quite thrilling when I first read about it.
Once I tried to start designing simple fuel extractors on Mun from scratch I hit this monstrosity
https://imgur.com/gallery/YhmBpIp

Almost 140 tons, 58 parts (combination  of harvesters, extractors and refineries), 19 crew required.

And result ? Net 2 material kits.

Cherry on top - I have to move it to Mun and attach it to depot in one shot, otherwise I keep receiving errors about missing resources....

Seems like WOLF is not that much useful....

Something is off then.

Harvesters are (relatively) easy to drop, and have crewless options.  Use the planner, leverage transport routes, etc. and you will be fine.  Also make sure you're on the latest version.

Also, 

2 material kits in your depot. Forever. That's not the same as having 2 units of MK.

Have you tried making MK without WOLF? And then, doing stuff with those MK, like making colony supplies? Talk about monstrosities, lagging your game. 

The (imho very cool) thing with WOLF is that you can set up huge mining bases, all running in the background. Yes, sometimes you have to make weird looking big things*, and yes, setting up a WOLF base off Kerbin can be hard and maybe a bit of a grind, but in my experience it's totally worth the effort. 

10 minutes ago, PetMat said:

*It's very much possible to build WOLF stuff in pieces, you just have to make good use of the planner, like @RoverDudesaid. Don't try to do everything in one go.

21 hours ago, Xtra said:

In reading the walk-through I get lost at the part for KSC BIOME:  Fabrication Module for Material Kits.

It states to set the Fabrication mod to produce Material Kits.  I'm not sure how to do this.  I open the GUI interface and gives me the following:

1. Colony Supplies => Material Kits

Machinery  => Material Kits

Specialized Parts  => Material Kits

Material Kits  => (any of the above)

Which do I choose?  Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at... 

If I can get assistance with this one... I should be able to figure out what I need for the other biomes.

You have to look at the 'recipe'. If you want to fabricate MK, the fabricators recipe has to be MK. To change the recipe, click on 'next recipe' untill it says what you want:)

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Something is off then.

Harvesters are (relatively) easy to drop, and have crewless options.  Use the planner, leverage transport routes, etc. and you will be fine.  Also make sure you're on the latest version.

OK - easy parts first. I am using CKAN, so assuming I have latest version.  KSP 1.12.3.3173, MKS/OKS 1.4.1
And correct, harvesters are crew-less - so let's skip them for now.

So let's start - I have depot on Mun's Crater, so I have only 5 power now.

Chemicals Maintenance MaterialKits Metals Polymers Power   Minerals Metalic ore Substrate Crew
WOLF Fabricator Module Material Kits -1 -1 5 -2 -2 4          
WOLF Refinery Module Chemicals 1 -2 5 -2 -2 3   -5      
WOLF Refinery Module Metals 1 -3 5 0 -2 2   -5 -5    
WOLF Refinery Module Polymers 1 -4 5 0 0 1   -5 -5 -5 -7
WOLF Maintenance   1 21 4 0 0 0   -5 -5 -5 -11

So now - looks I am fine for - apart  of harvesters (which can be deployed separately)  and need support for 11 crew.
So I still can not ply this part to mun and attached it to depot -> got error message about missing crew.

Now for crew support:

Fertilizer Food Lab Maintenance MaterialKits Oxygen Power Water   Crew
WOLF Habitation           3   -1     -11
Wolf Life support     -1     2 -1 -2 -5   -11
WOLF Extractor Oxygen   -1 -1 20 2 1 -3 -10   -11
WOLF Agriculture Module Farm -2 9 -1 19 2 1 -4 -15   -12
WOLF Extractor Module Fertilizer 0 9 -2 18 2 1 -5 -15   -12
WOLF Science   0 9 18 17 2 1 -6 -15   -16
8x WOLF Extractor Water 0 9 10 9 2 1 -14 1   -16
WOLF Power   0 9 10 8 2 1 41 1   -17

so I need 17 crew (differnet occupations) and harvesters for

Dirt 25
Hydrates 40
Metalic Ore 5
Mineral 5
Substrate 5

I can choose between low efficient harvester, which does not need precious Power or the 'big guy'

it is all according to planner for barren biome of Mun :-(

Of course I can consider shipping water, food and oxygen from KSC - there are veins for it, but the cost will be even higher with transport tickets - cheapest I can get from KSC to Mun surface is ~50 transport tickets.....
Do your math.....

Finally how to get there with so many modules.
Either some really monster rocket (NASA's Artemis 1 could help :-) )  or multiple launches and connecting all modules on surface of Mun with lot of precise landing and shuffling....

and again it is for 2 material kits on Mun surface

or is my math wrong?

and btw: original idea was to build small fuel extractor rig  on Mun surface, so I can refuel my shuttle busses within Kerbin SOI.
but for fuel extractor you need maintenance, and for maintenance you need material kits.... 

2 hours ago, modus said:

Also, 

2 material kits in your depot. Forever. That's not the same as having 2 units of MK.

Have you tried making MK without WOLF? And then, doing stuff with those MK, like making colony supplies? Talk about monstrosities, lagging your game. 

The (imho very cool) thing with WOLF is that you can set up huge mining bases, all running in the background. Yes, sometimes you have to make weird looking big things*, and yes, setting up a WOLF base off Kerbin can be hard and maybe a bit of a grind, but in my experience it's totally worth the effort. 

*It's very much possible to build WOLF stuff in pieces, you just have to make good use of the planner, like @RoverDudesaid. Don't try to do everything in one go.

You have to look at the 'recipe'. If you want to fabricate MK, the fabricators recipe has to be MK. To change the recipe, click on 'next recipe' untill it says what you want:)

Yes as I said - idea is very nice - running everything in background

And of course I used correct receipts and WOLF planner. My only complaint was that I have to put all of those modules (except harvesters) in one big vessel in order use 'Attach to depot'.
So as I already wrote to RoverDude: Either one monster rocket or multiple launches and re-assembling on Mun surface in order to start everything...