RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

It's interesting to compare this to the pathfinder posted last year. (I still don't know what's up with the set of what looks to be ratchet set sockets at or near the injector head.)

This looks like a fully-fitted out test engine. I'm seeing temperature and pressure probes all over. Also seeing a turbopump down by the nozzle that taps the feed before the main oxidiser and fuel turbopumps, then seemingly flows directly into it.

Eager for more details.

Looks like this may have slipped under the radar here, too distracted by the pictures :D 

https://www.rocketlabusa.com/updates/rocket-lab-completes-archimedes-engine-build-begins-engine-test-campaign/

tl;dr

• They're planning to reuse each engine for at least 20 launches (can definitely be increased down the line)
  • Each engine produces 733 kN or 165,000 lbf,  for a combined thrust of 1,450,000 lbf, which with its payload capacity, makes it roughly equal to Falcon 9 v1.1
  • The engine campaign wasn't given details when it'll start or end, but they reiterated a mid-2025 launch date for Neutron.
  • The Archimedes engine is supposed to be very close to a flight article, and they spent extra time to build up all the teams and infrastructure needed for operations, which contributed to a launch delay.
  • Mentioned a completion of the carbon composite structures for the faring panels, stage 1/2 tanks, and stage 1 reusable structure.
  • Arc-Vac is designed to be restarted up to 6 times in space for payload delivery.
  • Mentioned intentionally developing the engine a couple times to be within medium-capability, to lower stress on the engine, extend its operational lifetime, and aid in "[meeting} the rapidly reusability requirements of Neutron." I wonder what kind of average turnaround times they're expecting to achieve, and what kind of record they can set for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AckSed said:

Impressive CF-laying robot and early peeks of Neutron's tank domes:

I've been wondering lately about ways to bind composites like CF that use higher temperature materials.  As in not plastics.  I don't know what this would look like.  But maybe some kind of ceramic based material where the entire assembly would be fired after assembly.  It would likely weigh more, but maybe still less than metal alloys and such.  Idk.  Plastic just has so many limitations.  What about a binder based on the chemistry Capton is based on?

(Yes, I realize Capton is a plastic)

Edited by darthgently

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

What exactly does an internet of things satellite do?

My guess is that it will mostly just track IoT widgets from space and sell the accumulated data mining product.  But I’m a bit blackpilled when it comes to IoT

22 minutes ago, darthgently said:

My guess is that it will mostly just track IoT widgets from space and sell the accumulated data mining product.  But I’m a bit blackpilled when it comes to IoT

Now its plenty of stuff who is to remote to have cell connection but is also very low bandwidth. IoT has gotten bad press because all the idiot products. 
But its plenty of smart uses like an cabin, you can call it to turn on the heat before you arrive and tell you if something is wrong. 
Or simply street light telling then out, or next one is out. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now its plenty of stuff who is to remote to have cell connection but is also very low bandwidth. IoT has gotten bad press because all the idiot products. 
But its plenty of smart uses like an cabin, you can call it to turn on the heat before you arrive and tell you if something is wrong. 
Or simply street light telling then out, or next one is out. 

Understood, but the way it exposes public and private infrastructure and information to malicious actors is unparalleled.  It has been horribly implemented.  Or perfectly implemented depending on one’s maliciousness I suppose

• 2 weeks later...