Konstellation HLV

DocBones

13 hours ago, Aeoncypher said:

Amazing mod so far man ive just been able to use it for the first time in my career mode. Worked perfectly Keep up the good work.

Thanks man, just updated the mod. Added Copernicus and a few details. Nice to know you are enjoying it. Suggestions are welcome.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:37 PM, tater said:

Notional NTR Isps are under 1000 s.

Granted, but it is a game and I feel it is a tad not balanced this way. I might lower the ISP for future updates since it gets to duna almost empty. But for the time being I need to work on other things. 

Unrealistic features limit the mod considerably, IMHO, as it becomes SF. There is no need in stock KSP for excessive stats, it's trivial to get any craft to duna.

You should check out the TCA mod, which thrust balances for horizontal landers. It's kind of astounding, and would allow much more flexibility.

That is with tca mod, symmetry is not required at all.

39 minutes ago, tater said:

Unrealistic features limit the mod considerably, IMHO, as it becomes SF. There is no need in stock KSP for excessive stats, it's trivial to get any craft to duna.

You should check out the TCA mod, which thrust balances for horizontal landers. It's kind of astounding, and would allow much more flexibility.

That is with tca mod, symmetry is not required at all.

The ISP of the engines has been adjusted somewhat. But to be honest I am concentrating on other things right now, like the texturing. OMG! The texturing!!!! I think it's improving, but hey that's just me. I don't intend any more parts for the time being so I can concentrate the cfg files and mod compatibly. The lander is now balanced without TCA. Unless of course you pack all your goodies into just one cargo unit then things will go wrong for you. Naturally balancing the cargo as much as possible is advised. Thank you for your input. I will strive to improve the mod.

TCA is seriously worth looking into, I only discovered it a few days ago, and totally unbalanced HLVs can work as long as you have sufficient thrust on the various engines.

Balancing for stock KSP would require looking at the HLV, and balancing it such that with full cargo pods (what should those mass, full?) the MAV is required to leave Duna---that is the even empty HLV could not reach orbit. Currently, assuming a cargo mass of around 10 tons, the HLV can fly the entire Duna mission without need of the MAV as a vehicle on it's own from LKO---and I am assuming it drags the full cargo pods the whole way, round trip. If you allow the MAV to actually be used as such, it could fly back to Kerbin, then make another RT to Duna by itself. The transfer stage should allow moving the HLV to where it is going (which can certainly be OP for Duna, or a choice of fuel tanks for different destinations).

The whole point of a cool, realistic looking HLV with MAV is that such an architecture should just barely complete the mission with some operational slop for contingencies.

Given how easy KSP is, this will likely be hard with the mini scale of things, but at the very least, there is no need for the crazy Isp values.

Replacing the engines with SSTU Merlins (not vacuum) I have it able to land on Duna with 10 tons of cargo. It is in fact fine with 2 of the MAV engines deleted in that arrangement.

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Could you post pictures of how the rover's supposed to be set up (all of the wheels I attach go through the aeroshell), along with screenshots of new parts?

Hi Raptor,

At the moment I find myself away from home. However I will be more than happy to post pictures on Sunday when I get back. The hlv currently only supports medium size rovers like the malemut or buffalo. Naturally any "homemade" rovers will have confine the wheel size. I'll post pictures on Sunday. Promise;)

38 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

No I meant the new exporation rover thing that comes with this.

Oh, apologies.

I used the umbra technologies trolley wheels for testing, they fold upward and hide neatly in the Shell. I am still working on wheels of my own.

On 6/20/2017 at 10:48 AM, DocBones said:

The lander is now balanced without TCA. Unless of course you pack all your goodies into just one cargo unit then things will go wrong for you. Naturally balancing the cargo as much as possible is advised. Thank you for your input. I will strive to improve the mod.

What is the mass of each cargo pod? How much can they be off? Are they balanced merely because the fuel tanks remain completely full, since the engines are so OP none of the fuel gets used? how does it land with basically no fuel by what is in the MAV (since that is how such a lander would actually land, extra fuel is mass that could be cargo, after all)?

15 minutes ago, tater said:

What is the mass of each cargo pod? How much can they be off? Are they balanced merely because the fuel tanks remain completely full, since the engines are so OP none of the fuel gets used? how does it land with basically no fuel by what is in the MAV (since that is how such a lander would actually land, extra fuel is mass that could be cargo, after all)?

If I remember correctly about 10 tons a piece and I have tried it with almost empty fuel tanks, also balanced. Now if it bothers you that much and you lack the patience for the mod to evolve then I suggest you edit the cfg files yourself, which is not that great a task or use other engines. Alternatively you could just delete the mod. As I have mentioned, the original gave me allot of com issues and not in horizontal flight, the problem arose during liftoff. So allot of experimentation and trial and error have led me to where I am now. This is more than likely why the are not so many horizontal Landers out there. The config files will be reworked upon my return home, not only for ISP issues, which you have so painstakingly pointed out but also mod compatibility and career balancing.

No, I am aware of how very, very hard it is to balance these things so they work. I have tried a few types, and it's daunting.

Until a few days ago I was highly concerned about COM balance and actually flying various landers, but having been made aware of TCA, I just used that, and it's easy-peasy.

7 minutes ago, tater said:

No, I am aware of how very, very hard it is to balance these things so they work. I have tried a few types, and it's daunting.

Until a few days ago I was highly concerned about COM balance and actually flying various landers, but having been made aware of TCA, I just used that, and it's easy-peasy.

Granted, but you see the problem I ran into with the first hlv was not the horizontal landing that worked like dream, even without TCA. The problem arose during liftoff. So the the entire vehicle would list to one side during takeoff and eventually tip over. This made me very sad indeed as it was a wonderful lander and looked allot more like the original than my current design. 

Now I suggest the following, you supply the altered configs and I'll supply the parts. Thus we all get a wonderful horizontal lander that is not only sexy;) but also challenging. What do say? Naturally all due credit will be given;)

Edited by DocBones

I would certainly alter cfgs, or make an MM patch to do so for my own use, and I'd be happy to supply them when I get around to actually doing it. I'd not be here if I didn't think this mod had great promise, the parts are pretty dang cool. My concern is that being balanced from a gameplay standpoint means they balance with other parts on the game.

He's a TCA example, BTW:

27060123-e62ddc3a-4f97-11e7-9ccd-9b020a3

This craft is vastly more massive on the left/crew side than the right. 2 super drakes left, one right. It would work just as well with 2 on each side, 1 on each of 4 corners, etc (I tried all kinds of contraptions). That said, TCA is a little overkill for me, I'd be happy with a less capable version (though hovering, etc is pretty cool).

8 minutes ago, tater said:

I would certainly alter cfgs, or make an MM patch to do so for my own use, and I'd be happy to supply them when I get around to actually doing it. I'd not be here if I didn't think this mod had great promise, the parts are pretty dang cool. My concern is that being balanced from a gameplay standpoint means they balance with other parts on the game.

He's a TCA example, BTW:

27060123-e62ddc3a-4f97-11e7-9ccd-9b020a3

This craft is vastly more massive on the left/crew side than the right. 2 super drakes left, one right. It would work just as well with 2 on each side, 1 on each of 4 corners, etc (I tried all kinds of contraptions). That said, TCA is a little overkill for me, I'd be happy with a less capable version (though hovering, etc is pretty cool).

I am well aware of the TCA capabilities. I used it a number of times before I began making my own parts. However, my goal was to supply parts that could function on their own. Naturally players will eventually try and add things that "don't belong", that is the very nature of KSP and that is where they would require TCA. If you do have suggestions for the configs, i am always open. I remind you that I added the Mav fuel tanks separately because you requested them, not to mention the landing legs.... Because..... Landing legs;)

Let's work together to make a great mod!

Edited by DocBones
I hate you autocorrect!

Hi love this mod  trying to set up a small base on mun first to iron out any issues before going to duna but I am missing the iva;s  and cannot eva my kerbals  To paraphase a comercial the kerbials check in  but they do not check out.  It is not crashing so I have no report s to send any help woild be apricaiated thanks Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Where are you trying to Eva from? To Eva from the Mav hover your mouse just below it, where the lower hatch is, you should see a label callef "crew hatch", left click and then Eva the Kerbal of your choice, the same applies to the other modules, just hover your mouse over the hatch, left click till you see the "crew hatch" label and then Eva the Kerbal. Sorry for this, for some reason the crew portraits are not showing up try and fix that this week and I will begin work on the Iva soon.

Should you require further assistance feel free to pm me.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

This is propably the best up to date constellation mod out there (and i for some reason always liked the way that mission was planned to be executed) so ive been playing around with it for a while

i have a single small issue tho

Well less an issue more than an inconvienience

the tank used to get the landers from LKO to duna have a built in engine adapter thingy, and i wanted to use them to build a MTV copernicus type vechile for full immersion The thing is i need a tank that does not have that adapter built in to serve as a drop tank. Could you split the tank into 2 parts ? 1 for the tank itself and the second for the adapter ?

6 hours ago, obijan999 said:

This is propably the best up to date constellation mod out there (and i for some reason always liked the way that mission was planned to be executed) so ive been playing around with it for a while

i have a single small issue tho

Well less an issue more than an inconvienience

the tank used to get the landers from LKO to duna have a built in engine adapter thingy, and i wanted to use them to build a MTV copernicus type vechile for full immersion The thing is i need a tank that does not have that adapter built in to serve as a drop tank. Could you split the tank into 2 parts ? 1 for the tank itself and the second for the adapter ?

Hi Obijan,

Thank you, I'm glad you are enjoying the mod. As for your request, maybe I'm just a little tired right now, but I am not sure which tank you refer to. Is it the large orange transfer tank? Or the deorbiting engine? If you could be a little more specific I could possibly help or attend your request:)

I included a copernicus type vehicle in the last update.

12 hours ago, DocBones said:

Thank you, I'm glad you are enjoying the mod. As for your request, maybe I'm just a little tired right now, but I am not sure which tank you refer to. Is it the large orange transfer tank?

Thanks

i mean the big tank that you attach nuclear engines to HLV2 hydrogen tank is the name i believe

23 hours ago, obijan999 said:

Thanks

i mean the big tank that you attach nuclear engines to HLV2 hydrogen tank is the name i believe

Ah, I see. In the last update I did add a saddle frame and a drop tank. Never the less, I will try attend your request. Still reworking the texturing though.

35 minutes ago, DocBones said:

Ah, I see. In the last update I did add a saddle frame and a drop tank. Never the less, I will try attend your request. Still reworking the texturing though.

Alright thanks

also a little side note neither the drop tank nor the saddle actually have a probe in them so you have to attach your own and i find it pretty difficult to attach solar panels to the HAB of the copernicus because of the odd shape of it.

Field report time...

Two points of issue at present:

1. The Skycrane part gets excessively hot during burns. A burn of ~250 m/s caused the skycrane to go from 207*K to over 900*K in under a minute, and a propulsive landing on the Mun from medium orbit results in temps of over 1400*K at touchdown.

2. As I run Cryo Engines and Atomic Rockets from Nertea, the Copernicus tanks have a LH2-only mode, and the NTRs you provided are patched so that they can only use hydrogen. I found that the NTR stage of the Copernicus needs to have the LH2 volume rebalanced. It's quite pitiful, and, with the provided engines, can barely adjust its own orbit before depletion let alone perform a mission to a deep-space destination.

There are workarounds for both of these issues, sure, but they could come back to rudely bite a player in the ass in the future.

All issues aside, this is a great pack. Looking forward to using it more in the future!

Edited by MaverickSawyer

Hi Maverick,

Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed the stage getting to hot on the deceleration burn, after some checking it seems there is a cousin mesh that is interfering. I'll fix it and update.

As for the tank and copernicus, this is a bigger issue and I suspect we'll require a config patch to be compatible. I will attend to both issues and update the mod.

All the engines have been readjusted for less thrust and more fuel. So your lander should land almost empty. You will need to produce fuel in situ to refill. The kopernicus should arrive at duna with enough fuel for a return trip and make it back home with a little too spare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.