One Size Fits All Docking Port?

dunebugmi

Does anyone know of a mod with a docking port that will mate with any size docking port?  Either one-size-fits-all or adjustable on the fly in situ?

I'm trying to reduce part count and trying to have one docking port of every size is frustrating.

Is this possible to do with module manager?  

Following a suggestion I tried the following, but it disabled all of my docking ports.  

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]]:Final
{    
@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
 {
 @nodeType = size0,size1,size2,size3
 }
}

On 4/15/2017 at 6:27 AM, sebi.zzr said:

What do you mean by that?I'm using the same MM patch and everything works just fine.

My specific symptom is that when I try to dock two vessels with large docking ports, the ports draw together, but then do not dock.  The problem went away when I disabled that module manager script.

On 4/15/2017 at 6:27 AM, sebi.zzr said:

I'm using the same MM patch and everything works just fine.

Could you elaborate on this please?  Which docking ports have you docked successfully?  Have you docked mismatched port sizes?  If this really works for you I'm willing to give it another try.

6 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

Could you elaborate on this please?  Which docking ports have you docked successfully?  Have you docked mismatched port sizes?  If this really works for you I'm willing to give it another try.

http://sendvid.com/bbz7dhfc

7 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

I try to dock two vessels with large docking ports, the ports draw together, but then do not dock.

http://sendvid.com/qbtl0hur

Maybe you experienced "dock/undock" bug,which is present for a long time?

Hi Dunebugmi

There is a mod, Konstruction, that is even better. Assuming you are constructing giant space stations in orbit, this mod will allow you to remove the docking ports once they are connected. If you wanna reduce part counts this is even better than a "one size fits all"

3 hours ago, ron1n1 said:

Hi Dunebugmi

There is a mod, Konstruction, that is even better. Assuming you are constructing giant space stations in orbit, this mod will allow you to remove the docking ports once they are connected. If you wanna reduce part counts this is even better than a "one size fits all"

That depends a bit on what his use-case is: My main thought on a one-size-fits-all is that it's for where you dock ships to the station - you don't necessarily know what ships you'll be using in the future, and some are smaller/larger, etc.  Those would be temporary dockings, and you only need one per ship docked at the same time (so three-four should be plenty in most circumstances) - but you need to have that many in each size your ships could use.  So a one-size-fits-all cuts your docking ports down by a factor of three.

Konstruction is great for *assembling* the station - but then you can typically plan better what parts (and therefore what size docking ports) are going to go where.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.