I think KSP could be the next minecraft

Cooly568

Minecraft is immensely popular, easy to pick up, and can be played multiplayer easily.

KSP has a huge learning curve, but once you get past that, it is enormously fun to play. Going to other planets, building colonies, sending rovers, space stations, the possibilities are limited only by your imagination. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could figure out a way to exploit the Oberth Effect to achieve light speed.

I prefer KSP for its ease of modification and openness. Yes, MC has a massive game world and can be modified relatively easily, but KSP is so much more than Minecraft. I see Minecraft as more of an experiment for Mojang's Java-based engine (which is quite terrible) and has a lot that could be improved, whereas KSP is actually something that Squad wants to do and to do well. Minecraft is a sandbox with loads of space but limited capabilities due to the blocks and near-nonexistent optimization; KSP is a sandbox that teaches to have fun in failure, only limited due to the fact that it's in development.

As PDCWolf said, I am a bit disappointed with what Mojang is doing. They said they would get a built-in mod support system and I honestly can't see that ever happening, plus there's the incorporation of mods into the vanilla game (notably horses). True, they add content, but it's unnecessary; what they should do is make it easier to add the content so it doesn't have to be a part of the regular game, but you can get it and use it with minimal effort (like what Squad is planning for expansions). Quite frankly, KSP's forums are loads better as well– searching for the one post doesn't take an hour, it's either there or it's not, no scanning through 50000 posts with the same name (yet).

With that said, I don't want KSP to become the next Minecraft. I'd love it to become as popular as Minecraft, and I believe it will, but KSP is its own game and cannot be constrained to the standards of another. :)

As long as KSP doesn't become a bunch of socially awkward kids building giant block pixel art statues of ponies, I think we can just count that as a win.

...We can count it as a victory if it becomes a bunch of socially awkward kids building giant space stations shaped like body parts. Why? Because we can, that's why.

As long as KSP doesn't become a bunch of socially awkward kids building giant block pixel art statues of ponies, I think we can just count that as a win.

...We can count it as a victory if it becomes a bunch of socially awkward kids building giant space stations shaped like body parts. Why? Because we can, that's why.

I have no idea what you're talking about. >.> <.< :P

Ontopic: This game has the potential to become a very popular indie game, yes, but the next minecraft probably not. Minecraft struck gold. KSP's gonna have to appeal to a broader audience to have a chance at matching sales.

So it would be better if KSP becomes a bunch of socially adept kids building giant art spaceships of pokemon?

That statement sounds ridiculous. Why are people complaining about minecraft?

I've played minecraft. I've played KSP. The two have similarities, but appeal to different audiences.

NASA messaged the Kerbal Twitter page yesterday morning. So yes. I really hope it gets to the point where Kerbal Space Program becomes as much a household name as Minecraft, with conventions and big events and really fun merch (kerbal plushies, posters, that kind of stuff), etc. etc.

Really big YouTubers are starting to get in on the KSP bandwagon, like Markiplier. NerdCubed's dad, DadCubed, did a fantastic Nerd³ style video on the game. Even Zoey from the Yogscast is doing a consistent series of the game. More people need to know about and play this game.

I play MC and KSP (If you watch my channel then you know) and I'm not over 18, I still like the game. Not all 12 year olds have to be immature. And even if some immature kids join the forums then they will get warnings from our Great Moderators :D Also, my friends always say that you can't compare 2 totally different games. It's like comparing Call of Duty to KSP. The main thing you can compare is the type of the game but not what's inside it. If you guys know what I mean.

Oh dear...

I genuinely hope KSP does not become as popular of minecraft

Hipster mode disabled

Anyway, I think the original sharpness of the learning curve should get rid of most of the whiners who don't want a challenge.

For all of minecraft's faults, (I have pretty much stopped playing) its still fun to get a few friends over, and just have a massive LAN game. Also, Kerbal does not have multiplayer, which reduces some of the interest. I for one, hate multiplayer, unless it's with my friends, who IRL, I see less and less.

... Quite frankly, KSP's forums are loads better as well– searching for the one post doesn't take an hour, it's either there or it's not, no scanning through 50000 posts with the same name (yet)

Funny, somehow I'm unable to find few posts between October and last month, maybe you could help me? :D

And if you people think KSP is still obscure unknown indie game, you should take a look at the Steam best seller list. It is in top 20 sellers all the time

I've personally always compared KSP to Dwarf Fortress in terms of popularity, since they DO have some similarities (not too popular, quite difficult to play effectively, well-spoken and tight playerbase).

As for KSP merchandise, that would be great. Maybe a Kerbal or a Command Pod Mk.1 keychain.

Unrelatedly, hooray for me joining the forums, moving on.

Yes, that is actually a really great comparison. They both take a while to learn, but when you do, fantastic games.

Also welcome to the forums!

NASA messaged the Kerbal Twitter page yesterday morning. So yes. I really hope it gets to the point where Kerbal Space Program becomes as much a household name as Minecraft, with conventions and big events and really fun merch (kerbal plushies, posters, that kind of stuff), etc. etc.

*snip*

Wow, wouldn't that be great? NASA + KSP = 1001% win. I could totally see KSP used as a fun educational tool, while still being the ridiculously fun game it is. I think such a partnership could actually propel KSP to Minecraft's level (comparatively).

Oh my god, NO THANKS. I've watched Minecraft ever since that bunghole Notch showed us his "cave game" on /v/, and it was like a three-year-long trainwreck. Not to mention that Curse managed to turn the community from a handful of creative, mature players to a hoard of rabid, hyperactive 12-year-olds with hero-worship syndrome. I already see enough of those buggers HERE too (Squad can do no wring, ur just a h8r!!!1), I think I'd kill myself if it got worse than it is.

Long story short, KSP should stay far away from the Minecraft audience. They'd literally think a plate of s*** was gold and thank the devs for stealing their life-savings.

Oh my god, NO THANKS. I've watched Minecraft ever since that bunghole Notch showed us his "cave game" on /v/, and it was like a three-year-long trainwreck. Not to mention that Curse managed to turn the community from a handful of creative, mature players to a hoard of rabid, hyperactive 12-year-olds with hero-worship syndrome. I already see enough of those buggers HERE too (Squad can do no wring, ur just a h8r!!!1), I think I'd kill myself if it got worse than it is.

Long story short, KSP should stay far away from the Minecraft audience. They'd literally think a plate of s*** was gold and thank the devs for stealing their life-savings.

If KSP becomes like roblox... -shudder- Heck, Minecraft is a paradise of mature people when compared to the Roblox forums. Half the time you post, someone will reply with something like "Herp derp I likez panckes."

If KSP becomes like roblox... -shudder- Heck, Minecraft is a paradise of mature people when compared to the Roblox forums. Half the time you post, someone will reply with something like "Herp derp I likez panckes."
roblox...
roblox...
ROBLOX...

I played Roblox when it first started up. Very tight community with some really creative folks and talented Lua scripters.

What

HAPPENED?

I recently went back after maybe 3 years and it's "family roleplay (cybering)" and "1337 ANNOYING ORANGE OBBY LE MONKEY FACE", with $10 hats and $500 memberships (that people actually buy).

It's a goddamn horror show.

Guys, cmon. Don't say immature 12 year olds because that kinda offends me too. I'm 12 years old, play both games and enjoy both games. Just say immature kids because 12 year olds is too stereotypical. And it's not only 12 year olds that are immature, there's older guys too!

Guys, cmon. Don't say immature 12 year olds because that kinda offends me too. I'm 12 years old, play both games and enjoy both games. Just say immature kids because 12 year olds is too stereotypical. And it's not only 12 year olds that are immature, there's older guys too!

Are not! ARE NOT! I'm gonna tell!! :sticktongue:

Sorry man.

I know a lot of really clever kids out there but it's an enforced stereotype unfortunately. Most 12-year-olds are dumb as bricks, take solace in the fact that you can think rationally.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.