SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

@Geonovast "I doubt it considering the FH is fully expendable.  It wouldn't need the landing pads.  It was also supposed to launch days ago.  Sending the boat out isn't something you can do on a whim.  Takes days to get out there. "

I mean the SES 03b launch...with regards to the NSF post stating that they can launch with the previous rocket "over the horizon"

Edit: So I guess I'm not up to date; Are the FH side boosters expendable on this launch? it seems they could RTLS since there are no other range considerations today (not considering payload mass). I get the core is expendable, but I doubt they have 3 droneships in the Atlantic at once for the side boosters, plus the SES03b booster (which is where I feel I missed something).

Edited by Meecrob

11 hours ago, Scotius said:

Oh well. Scrub is preferable to a fireball.

That's what the town council said when they canceled the municipal fireworks show on New Year's. "We have determined that the rockets may explode!" Saved them a lot of money.

Read the whole of this thread:

3 engines out at Liftoff was intentional. Explosion at t+28 wasn't. Loss of comms. Loss of TVC leading to loss of control. FTS took too long to function, needs requalification.

Didn't expect to destroy pad. Would have made it through staging with TVC operational.  Next flight will be a repeat profile with no payload.

Edited by RCgothic

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Read the whole of this thread:

No kidding!  Great info: thanks!

Musk: Starship sliding laterally off the launchpad was "because of the engine failures."

Musk: "There were 3 engines that we chose not to start," so that's why Super Heavy booster lifted off with 30 engines, "which is the minimum number of engines." The 3 engines "didn't explode," but just were not "healthy enough to bring them to full thrust so they were shut down"

Musk: For the next flight, "we're going to start the engines faster and get off the pad faster." From engine start to moving Starship "was around 5 seconds, which is a really long time to be blasting the pad." Going to try to cut that time in half.

I think they need a thrust stand where they can do full-thrust, long-duration test firings of Super Heavy stages to properly learn how to startup all those engines and see that they'll work properly for extended periods. 

1 hour ago, Brotoro said:

I think they need a thrust stand where they can do full-thrust, long-duration test firings of Super Heavy stages to properly learn how to startup all those engines and see that they'll work properly for extended periods. 

Maybe an actively cooled flame diverter will allow this at Starbase?

FWIW, I have seen estimates that suggest SpaceX revenue is ~$2B/year. They have ~2 cargo and 2 crew missions a year, crew is ~$212M per (it's like $53M a seat, right?). Cargo is less. Other launches are fairly cheap, so it takes a lot.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

A comment from pikabu.ru:

"The rocketry evolution is moving from the expendable rockets and reusable launchpads to the reusable rockets and expendable launchpads." (c)

Except first Starship launch was supposed to be expendable. 

37 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Except first Starship launch was supposed to be expendable. 

And fly around as concrete slabs, and cover the New Pompeii Port Isabel with dust.

Just as planned.

The smashed tanks are also looking as they should be.