SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I think I need clarification on a detail of this latest plan. 

Is Elon planning on sending up his old Roadster or one of the new models? 

Either way its not exactly on message from Mr. Reusability.

I want to see some details on how he plans to retrieve it once he gets to Mars.

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

I think I need clarification on a detail of this latest plan. 

Is Elon planning on sending up his old Roadster or one of the new models? 

It's his own 1st generation Roadster.

Either way its not exactly on message from Mr. Reusability.

Why not ? Rather than crush it, recycle it as a mass simulator for a test launch. It's better for the planet than using 1.2 tons of concrete.

I want to see some details on how he plans to retrieve it once he gets to Mars.

He doesn't. The plan is to reach a deep space orbit so that it will still be around in billions of years.

1 minute ago, Nibb31 said:

It's his own 1st generation Roadster.

Why not ? Rather than crush it, recycle it as a mass simulator for a test launch. It's better for the planet than using 1.2 tons of concrete.

He doesn't. The plan is to reach a deep space orbit so that it will still be around in billions of years.

He can buy it from himself and write it off as a business expense,

Purchased 1 large lithium ION battery and a stereo for rocket with a used car attached to it (Space-time wave generating speakers not attached).

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Just imagine how much this car will cost several decades later, being caught and brought back.

I am generally opposed to littering but I am also a sucker for a grand and pointless gesture. Just as long as the darn thing doesn't crash into me while I'm on my way to Mars in a few years, I'm fine with it.

18 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Just imagine how much this car will cost several decades later, being caught and brought back.

Several decades would likely to be 8-9 or double digits. But yes it would be an collector item. Main issue is probably plenty of plastic who would not handle deep space well. 
Its also an pretty expensive performance car and they tend to be treated well, on the other hand the owner and low serial number adds to value. 

48 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

But it drives really slowly.....

Needs more nuclear rods and electric motor ! I say Tesla and SpaceX get the retrofit ! :P

29 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Nice shot. Has nobody realized the reflection of the photographer in the camera lens ? :sticktongue:

The fine dust that is seen all over the cart isn't exactly mechanics- and maybe one day health friendly, i read.

Well you never know :wink:

Also :

opportunity.png

Edited by YNM

9 minutes ago, Nightfury said:

Maybe a dumb question, but how was this photograph made ?

It is actually dozens of photos stuck together.  The arm that the camera is mounted on is just edited out, since it is confusing since it was in many different positions for different parts of the picture and only small parts of it were visible.

https://www.universetoday.com/122883/why-dont-we-see-the-curiosity-rovers-arm-when-it-takes-a-selfie/

Edited by ment18

4 minutes ago, regex said:

Got this on the FB today, no citation given but it was apparently tweeted and then deleted. Check the lower left, horizontal integration.

Th695p5.jpg

Yes, that's Falcon Heavy on the bottom left/center, with the second stage ready to be mated to the core. Nose cones on the side boosters are clearly visible. Unfortunately we can't make out much in the way of detail on the special core interstage. 

They have asked other sites to take down this image, as it evidently was not intended to be released.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

They have asked other sites to take down this image, as it evidently was not intended to be released.

They don't want people to see that Falcon Heavy is less than 6 months away? :)

Edited by DAL59

Just now, DAL59 said:

They don't want people to see that Falcon Heavy is less than 6 months away? :)

This proves nothing other than that it's lying on its side mostly put together. That could be a mockup for all we know.

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I believe we can be relatively certain it is not a mockup.

Until I see that thing light its engines on the pad and lift off into space, it's a unicorn I will make no assumptions about.

E: Then, AND ONLY THEN, does it deserve a space on "Rockets of the World" posters.

Edited by regex

9 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I believe we can be relatively certain it is not a mockup.

This. That thing takes up a huge amount of space, which SpaceX does have a finite amount of. If it’s due for static fire this month, it’s a reasonable conclusion that they’re currently assembling it. 

1 hour ago, regex said:

Until I see that thing light its engines on the pad and lift off into space, it's a unicorn I will make no assumptions about.

E: Then, AND ONLY THEN, does it deserve a space on "Rockets of the World" posters.

Its probably an cgi of an mockup, it was deleted because it was rendered on the Mars base who is secret.