SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

24 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

If it works autonomously, not needing human control…

I want it to have legs as well as the arms so it can run to an incoming booster that is off course a bit.  Like someone fielding a baseball.  Giant Optimus

11 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

And crashing into the ballpark fencing as it runs while totally focused on making the catch?

Exactly.  Or running up the fence to snatch the booster with outstretched chopsticks (telescopic version).  Definitely would tempt the kraken mightily

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

If it works autonomously, not needing human control…

My thought too, placing is done remotely or perhaps at site lining up things and shipyards had far more powerful cranes 50 years ago. 
Catching will be automated. 

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Catching will be automated. 

Agreed. I would actually think Elon/Gwynne went crazy if such a major function was not intended to be automated.

Having said that, how cool would that job be?

"What do I do? I'm a catcher"
"Like in baseball?"
"No, I catch rockets."

3 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Balanced out by how stressful said job would be :D 

Probably similar to what a USN pilot deals with every time they drop a tailhook onto an aircraft carrier deck in high seas

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

Probably similar to what a USN pilot deals with every time they drop a tailhook onto an aircraft carrier deck in high seas

Agree, one crazy part about aircraft carrier landing is that you go full throttle on touchdown. That is so you can take off if you miss all the hooks. 

More crazy back during WW 2 and before angled flight deck you often had planes parked on the front part of the deck so if you miss the hooks you will crash into them. Granted propeller planes landed much slower but still. 
US operated two training aircraft carriers on the great lakes, they used paddle wheel and was coal fired :) 
It was cut down passenger / party /
 cruise ships like many ferries in Europe is today used for training carrier landings. 

Just released video by “Angry Astronaut”:

SpaceX asks the FAA to bend the rules and return Starship to flight NOW! PLUS RFA ONE static fire!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG8T2HUe-Lo

Points out the point I’ve been making. The reason SpaceX still has not released a mishap report is they do not want to acknowledge the reason the booster failed on landing is the Raptor still has the problem observed previously of leaking fuel on relights:

Starship SN8 SN9 SN10 SN11 SN15 High Altitude Flight test synced.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww83pSeuGuA

But I don’t agree with “Angry Astronaut” in his video where he says, IFT-3 offered no danger to the public so Starship can be recertified by the FAA to fly without a mishap report. The booster landed far outside the expected landing zone, probably because of flaws in the Raptor firing during the boostback burn. It should have landed 30 km off shore, but actually landed ca. 100 km off shore:

Starship Booster 10 Descent Simulation.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6a10KbkGro

It could have been a danger to fishing or shipping in the area where it landed unexpectedly.

Bob Clark

Posted (edited)

I thought they were showing again, but that was the phone post.

Maybe?

Yeah, that showed. I changed nothing. Seems like it could not have been an X glitch, since it worked from phone, but not desktop.

Edited by tater

45 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, that showed. I changed nothing. Seems like it could not have been an X glitch, since it worked from phone, but not desktop.

I’ve found that to make it work, you have to copy the link from the little “copy link” icon, then paste it into a browser tab, then copy that link from the status bar and paste it here. You have to wait for it to pop up in the forum window before hitting “submit” too.