Deploy Elevons Further

So i built this small bomber, where i wanted to use elevons as my bombing bay doors, but when i deploy them, they open up only so little. But to safely drop something out of there i would need them to open up to 90 degrees.

I've seen people use elevons as doors, that opened really wide, so i'm curious how to open them further than usually. (More than just putting the deploy limiter to 150)

Thanks for answers :)

On 9/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, SpaceTrashCan said:

So i built this small bomber, where i wanted to use elevons as my bombing bay doors, but when i deploy them, they open up only so little. But to safely drop something out of there i would need them to open up to 90 degrees.

I've seen people use elevons as doors, that opened really wide, so i'm curious how to open them further than usually. (More than just putting the deploy limiter to 150)

Thanks for answers :)

The solution you seek is the button to reverse the deployment and set the initial position deployed at 150.

1 hour ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

How do i do that? I didn't find it out myself

1. Place elevons, then with the Rotate gizmo rotate them to a 45 degree angle (basically, "half open").
  2. Right-click elevon, click 'Deploy'. (it should remain deployed for the rest of its lifetime)
  3. Adjust the Authority Limiter to a value where the elevon is "closed" to your liking. This may be a negative value.
  4. If it doesnt quite close all the way, rotate the elevon again with fine control until it does (*).
  5. Done.
  6. To open/close the elevon-door in flight, all you now need to do is right-click and click 'Deploy Direction' to toggle from open to closed status.

(*) Most stock elevons won't actually have a full 90 degree swing, but you can get close to it with some of them. If you come up a bit short and have to adjust, remember that when you open, it won't swing out a full 90 degrees, so either plan accordingly, or use a different elevon.

P.S.: remember to make pitch/yaw/roll inactive, or the elevon-door will attempt to 'help' with steering your craft.

Edited by swjr-swis

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to have elevons the deploy quite a bit, you can also muck around in the craft file. The elevons have an authority setting which in game is limited to 150, but can be much higher within the craft file if.you choose to do so

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.