EVA packs and New Planets

spikeyhat09

First Post!

The latest update, 0.16, brought many new features, including the ability to venture outside your capsule and fly around using a personal RCS pack. That is, as long as you're not on Kerbin. The EVA pack has proved vital for going any sort of distance on one of Kerbin's moons on foot.

However, on Kerbin itself, the EVA pack is utterly useless. With its much higher gravity, the new RCS pack makes little to no noticible difference on the velocity of the Kerman.

This is all well and good, because there is no real need to travel very far on Kerbin by foot.

But, with the lingering idea of extraterrestrial planets (possibly ones of even more mass than Kerbin) in the Kerbol System, having an RCS pack capable of lifting the Kermen off the ground in higher "Gees" could prove necessary. My question is, in the 0.17 update, will there be more powerful EVA suits available to accommodate for the more intense gravity of other planets? Perhaps located in the "Crew" tab in the VAB?

I think the RCS pack is fine as it is. It is not designed for high gravity situation. It would be better to just get a few more parts designed for making rovers and etc. I think once .18+ comes out with docking and we can construct a second vehicles and attach it to our rocket then moving around planets wont be much of a problem.

Welcome to the forums, hopefully you dont get flamed to bad for this first post. :)

In my day we walked on the moon, and were happy with it! none of your fancy flying!

In all seriousness, the EVApak is fine as it is, (except for the infuriating control system), but I do think the ability to sprint on planets with about the same gravity as kerbin should be added. Obviously a planet with a much greater grav. pull you'd not be able to sprint on, but a little more or a little less, I'd say you'd still be able to sprint, after a fashion.

In all seriousness, the EVApak is fine as it is, (except for the infuriating control system), but I do think the ability to sprint on planets with about the same gravity as kerbin should be added. Obviously a planet with a much greater grav. pull you'd not be able to sprint on, but a little more or a little less, I'd say you'd still be able to sprint, after a fashion.
You are actually able to sprint on Kerbin right now. Just hold shift while walking.

In my day we walked on the moon, and were happy with it! none of your fancy flying!

Or i wonder if walking around on a planet with enough gravity would hurt them D:

I just hope they made a lot of these mod parts stock. It is one thing to say if a mod does it we dont need to do it but you see a lot of mods break with each release and more and more no one updates them. I would rather have a nice set of stock parts that are already updated on release.

I dont really think a jetpack would be that great of an idea though.

Personally, I'll be making a flying transport craft that is piloted from the cockpit view. If only we could generate fuel somehow... It would be very useful for small or long distance craft.

I'm pretty sure there's a mod for solar panels and a plug in to make them work.

I like the idea of EVA accessories, possibly even new suits.

For instance a flight suit for activities that don't involve deep space travel, like flying jets and things. Personally I think in the final game a flight suit should be the standard wear for a Kerbal when you strip him down out of his EVA suit. or a heavy, specially made suit for extreme environments like Charr or Eve's atmosphere. Plus other things like a Wingsuit or an attachable parachute. Who wouldn't want to go sky diving into the Mars planet's deep canyons?

Edited by EleSigma

What I'd like to see is a throttle slider for EVAPacks. Similar to how the engine throttle works, the Shift/Ctrl keys could be used to adjust the amount of thrust the thrusters exert. By default, it would be small (as it is now), but that should be perhaps 1/4 or so of the potential thrust. Lower setting should also be possible, so that (for example) on the smallest of the new moons coming up, the EVAPack won't cause you to be flung into escape trajectory.

I don't think EVA packs need any change. I don't think they're intended to be powered packs for motion through atmospheres under regular gravity, rather for having fun in low-gravity/free fall environment.

What I'd like to see is a throttle slider for EVAPacks. Similar to how the engine throttle works, the Shift/Ctrl keys could be used to adjust the amount of thrust the thrusters exert.

Those keys are already taken! Shift is up, ctrl is down. If they were to boost the power in any way this would be needed though.

Will we still be able to fly on the surface of the Mun? I don't know how other planets/moons will feel like, but I always thought it was too powerful at times, for precise controls.

I do think, however, that it should be just powerful enough to barely lift you off the surface, or at least allow you to perform higher jumps.

Will we still be able to fly on the surface of the Mun? I don't know how other planets/moons will feel like, but I always thought it was too powerful at times, for precise controls.

I do think, however, that it should be just powerful enough to barely lift you off the surface, or at least allow you to perform higher jumps.

Yeah, that would be ideal. Juuuust barely enough to lift you off the surface, but enough to prolong a jump greatly.

/\ .... The hell? Edit : somebody fixed it, was a post of just jibberish above, Not warshawkski, Trying to set me up mods!

It's good to hear you guys are planning on reducing their thrust. I thought it was odd they doubled as a jetpack, and refuse to use them as one haha.

Edited by Subcidal

F

You are actually able to sprint on Kerbin right now. Just hold shift while walking.

Damn! Can't believe I didn't know that.

Cheers bud:)

Also, pretty sure I read somewhere that engines will be of no use on some planets.

Would a hovercraft type vehicle design work instead?

Edited by ramses

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.