[1.12.x PlanetShine 0.2.6.6, Feb 22, 2022

Papa_Joe

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, miklkit said:

I have heard a lot about this mod, but it does not seem to be available on CKAN.  How hard is it to install manually for someone who does not know how to do that?

It's there.  Make sure that your CKAN can see all 1.12 mods under Settings > Compatible game versions.

• 9 months later...

*snip* this mod is no longer needed***

(* not compatible with parallax and many other mods, check if your mods is compatible)
(** can break your game, and you can lose all your data on computer)
(*** still in beta, expect bugs and crashes, and report them if you encounter)

Edited by Gargamel
Link removed.

On 6/24/2024 at 12:02 PM, Wilhelm von Hermann said:

*[snip]  this mod is no longer needed***

(* not compatible with parallax and many other mods, check if your mods is compatible)
(** can break your game, and you can lose all your data on computer)
(*** still in beta, expect bugs and crashes, and report them if you encounter)

Problem is it doesn't work with Parallax. So for a lot of people that's a non-starter until Linx is finished with his rewrite. Looks good though! Blackrack is doing some amazing stuff with lighting.

Edited by Snark
Link removed by moderator

2 hours ago, Wilhelm von Hermann said:

well deferred cannot guarantee that it wouldn't break your pc idk

Nothing can fully guarantee it won't break your PC. It's a tiny risk, though, and disparaging one mod with that claim is unfair.

Even a tiny mod that's just a small cfg could theoretically trigger a previously hidden bug that causes KSP1 to erase all your files. It's a tiny, tiny chance and not one to worry about.

(Don't download executable code including DLLs from websites that you don't trust. Periodically backup your entire PC. Before downloading a new mod, make a copy of your entire KSP folder.)

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

@Wilhelm von Hermann, if you would like to fork a mod, please do so in its own thread.  As per our Add-on posting guidelines, include source code, licenses, and confirm it complies with any licenses of derived material.   

um actually deferred is not my mod, and i just linked deferred because planetshine is obsolete and not working in 1.12.5 (so that more people download deferred not planetshine)

12 minutes ago, Wilhelm von Hermann said:

um actually deferred is not my mod, and i just linked deferred because planetshine is obsolete and not working in 1.12.5 (so that more people download deferred not planetshine)

Then link to the forum thread please, and not the download site.    And please don’t come into a mod thread, dead or not, and throw shade on it.   That forked mod wouldn’t exist without the original.    A simple “this mod is outdated, here’s the updated form” post will do fine.  

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Then link to the forum thread please, and not the download site.    And please don’t come into a mod thread, dead or not, and throw shade on it.   That forked mod wouldn’t exist without the original.    A simple “this mod is outdated, here’s the updated form” post will do fine.  

as i know, blackrack didn't created topic about deferred, so patreon and github are the only sources for downloading/info, and deferred is not a forked mod, it's maded completely from scratch (there's source code on github)

3 minutes ago, Wilhelm von Hermann said:

as i know, blackrack didn't created topic about deferred, so patreon and github are the only sources for downloading/info, and deferred is not a forked mod, it's maded completely from scratch (there's source code on github)

Post the thread, not the download link.    To do otherwise brews confusion.   

1 hour ago, Wilhelm von Hermann said:

I use Planetshine in 1.12.5 with KSRSS and it works for me. I see the reflected light, and do not get many crashes nor log spam.

You're new here so I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. If Planetshine isn't working for you consider that you may have installed it wrong. Ask for help (there's a thread about how to do that including info about how to share log files).

First you say that Deferred might cause you to lose all data on your PC. Then you claim Planetshine does not work in 1.12.5. I suggest thinking about things more before blaming mods.

5 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

I use Planetshine in 1.12.5 with KSRSS and it works for me. I see the reflected light, and do not get many crashes nor log spam.

You're new here so I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. If Planetshine isn't working for you consider that you may have installed it wrong. Ask for help (there's a thread about how to do that including info about how to share log files).

First you say that Deferred might cause you to lose all data on your PC. Then you claim Planetshine does not work in 1.12.5. I suggest thinking about things more before blaming mods.

i installed planetshine via CKAN multiple times on various setups, so i think it is not the installation problem
and every mod can delete your data, and deferred is just another (good) mod, so there's always non-zero chance that your data maybe deleted
additionally planetshine was not updated for last year

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wilhelm von Hermann said:

planetshine is obsolete and not working in 1.12.5

Please do not spread misinformation. The mod works just fine, the problem is on your side.

Also, PlanetShine will not be obsolete until Deferred gets support for all the mods that do not have it at the moment, and considering that a bunch of these mods potentially do not have active maintainers anymore, it might take some time, if it will even happen. Saying that the mod is obsolete just because another mod released is a bit of a stretch. Some people might just prefer PlanetShine for their own reasons.

9 minutes ago, Wilhelm von Hermann said:

additionally planetshine was not updated for last year

The game itself wasn't updated for more than a year, that really doesn't mean anything.

Edited by dok_377

Posted (edited)

Also, Deferred does not make PlanetShine obsolete, because Deferred's effect alone is not as good (see below). If anything, using both together is ideal, because you can use PlanetShine's higher quality area  and pixel modes without suffering huge performance hits due to Deferred helping with more lights used.

See comparison below (both of these are with Deferred installed and toggling PlanetShine on/off). Note that Deferred alone has a sharp edge between the light from the planet and the ambient (arrows).

BYExOZ6.gif

Hsxvkjt.png

Edited by shelshok