NASA CLPS Program

tater

Presumably any preexisting propellant leak would have been caught before fairing encapsulation, and I would guess there are propellant detectors inside the fairing to catch leaks after encapsulation (to avoid surprise fireworks prior to launch), which would leave vibrational or g forces during launch, space debris damage after fairing deploy, or, possibly, the middle ground where a rogue 10mm socket inside the fairing during launch causes the overlap/corner case of debris/payload collision during launch

Edited by darthgently

5 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Silly question but I didn't follow the launch very closely; by 'translunar' do they mean an immediate transfer or the gradual approach that takes months?

Vulcan did a TLI burn.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:59 PM, darthgently said:

Well, there is still the silver lining of lessons learned, hopefully

Apparently it's better than the earlier suspicion of complete upper stage RUD.

• 1 month later...

https://www.columbia.com/omni-heat-infinity/moon-mission/

Thermal protection technology from Columbia Sportswear is being used on IM-1.

My Mom's condo is near their HQ here in Beaverton (Portland), and my sister worked part time at the employee store across the street from the HQ for awhile :D Pretty cool to have another local company involved in space in some form. The other is a small electronics manufacturer in Hillsboro (I forget the name) that are on the current National Team. They also supplied components for Mars Odyssey and MRO. They are located down the street from the PetSmart I used to buy hay for my guinea pigs from.

My own fascination with having a space company near me makes me wonder if being near something space related has ever been a factor for older folks considering where to retire. Is it really just the sun in Florida that draws all them down there, or is it proximity to Kennedy too? (sort of kidding :sticktongue:)

Fascinating article from 2022 on the IM-1 comms: https://blog.jatan.space/p/moon-monday-issue-93

Long story short, they're not using NASA's Deep Space Network, but renting time on other commercial ground stations around the world. They tested it (with NASA's help) by connecting to the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Berger thinks the pressure on IM to stick a commercial lunar landing is very high and could have a big impact on the future of CLPS. 

If IM goes awry, I'm thinking it would be interesting if SpaceX demonstrated an automated lunar landing using a small test lander just to puncture this perceived barrier.  They have to tackle the lunar landing eventually anyway

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/02/as-companies-shoot-at-the-moon-nasas-tolerance-of-failure-is-tested/

Edited by darthgently