Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Posted (edited)

opens forums

"21 notifications? What's going on?"

Massive T2 layoffs

KSP 2 might be canceled

Depression

Edited by Ryaja
New pa... *Sigh*

6 hours ago, Ryaja said:

Depression

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

2 minutes ago, DDE said:

A Hyundai Porter ice cream truck runs over 29 children in Kyrgyzstan.

Cause of incident: disengaged handbrake, gravity.

https://kabar.kg/news/v-suzake-minigruzovik-s-morozhenym-sbil-29-detei/

Truly there is no such thing as "too careful".

Vaguely reminded me of this

6bd5374527f93412dcadf4c45d940f77.jpg

I sincerely hope that all of those kids make a full recovery :(

1 hour ago, AstroWolfie said:

Why would they lay off developers? it only seems like corporate greed.

It's the blunt instrument that is a "haircut", hitting everyone with layoffs across the board. The only alternative is to become mired in picking whose pet project gets to die.

And 2K hasn't been making particularly smart decisions in my memory.

5 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

Why would they lay off developers? it only seems like corporate greed.

Spending around an estimated 4.6 million and earning around 2 mil is a -100% return rate, corporations don't have unlimited money no matter what governments/media wants you to think.

Just now, DDE said:

Now let's prepare for our inevitable punishment for having achieved something that is increasingly impossible on the Internet.

For having a real conversation where two distinct sides exchanged viewpoints and found agreeable common ground and brought something for both parties to think about? 

If so, then we're living in a cold world.

I am seriously impressed that a level-headed and respectful discussion of politics has occurred on the Internet. I truly applaud that, well done! 

Since discussing politics is, however, not allowed on this forum, we had to remove it. I actually think most of you guys already know this :blink:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AstroWolfie said:

Anyways, I don’t get why Games Workshop bans 3d printing, you guys know why?

I think because of this threat:

• Games Workshop's primary source of revenue: selling individual and vehicle miniatures and models and other products associated with the miniatures and models, either the making, the displaying, or the gaming.
  • 3D printing gives making miniatures and even some models to the masses (though with some quality issues).
  • An increasing number of GW customers either use 3D printing themselves or have a buddy who does 3D printing.
  • Games Workshop's sales crash.
  • More unpleasantness.

Edited by Jacke

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

I am seriously impressed that a level-headed and respectful discussion of politics has occurred on the Internet. I truly applaud that, well done! 

Since discussing politics is, however, not allowed on this forum, we had to remove it. I actually think most of you guys already know this :blink:

Sometimes amazing things happen.

Mind you, considering the current changing times, and that politics is involved in people figuring out most things, right now it's a rising tide that has no sign of coming anywhere near its peak.

I applaud your efforts in shoring up the dikes that guard us from the more unpleasant currents of the rising waters.

What do you know, I talked about mostly negative things in a very general way!  I'm on-topic!  Huzzah!

3 minutes ago, AstroWolfie said:

What if they just sold STLs for people to use?

Why sell the cow when you can sell the milk instead.  And keep selling milk.  And more milk.  Etc.

4 minutes ago, AstroWolfie said:

What if they just sold STLs for people to use?

That's like trying to make big money off of books in the age of the photocopier. People will find a way to pirate STLs.

For the purpose of this discussion, since I parasitize on HeroForge, I decided to run some numbers.

"Combat Patrol" is 12 Ultrasmurfs including two Terminators, and a half-sized beacon. Let's round that up to 15 minis, at 28 mm the Astartes are roughly comparable to the 30 mm humans. $150 

Meanwhile, HeroForge offers similar minis at 13$ apiece, or 8$ just for the STL files. Ouch.

If a quarter of an hour of searching is any indicator, there isn't much of a scene of dedicated 3D printing providers - the whole "culture" is about printing your own minis.

4 hours ago, Deddly said:

8 hours ago, Deddly said:

I'm glad we could enjoy it while it lasted!

5 hours ago, DDE said:

This is being received as well as one can imagine.

Wt8eGCq4PAE.jpg?size=729x1280&quality=95

They even misspelled "Shepard".

Ha! They ain't even tangentially related in my book!

And o'course it got scrubbed

Posted (edited)

Did Youtube remove the button for disabling autoplay? It's gone for me today (I know there's about a dozen versions of any GUI at any given time).

Edit: looks like a momentary fluke. Hopefully.

Edited by DDE